Sponsored by:

Mustang Dyno remote tune with Anthony Lawshee for Texas Mile

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 04:16 PM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
clk63, cls55, ml63, (w210) E55
Mustang Dyno remote tune with Anthony Lawshee for Texas Mile

Texas Mile was a wash this October. Pun intended.

Problems for those who plan to push your car past the 1/2 mile?

Toyo R888 285/35 20's are a no go if you ever want to buy them. ESP will not allow it. Dyno mode worked on the dyno.......just not on the track at 150+ mph. (Limp Mode) Make sure your tire set up is close to factory set up.

IATs are not on your side with a factory intercooler. Period. Hitting temps, again, above 180 degrees at the 3/4 mile mark and above. The IATs were 41 in staging.....even after a quick burn out. The intercooler water was still cool at the end of the mile run. She was doing the best she could.

Only thing I can see working, other than more intercoolers, would be a cool 50 shot of NOS at the end to keep IATs in check. Not a option for me though.

Dyno was on an all wheel drive Mustang dyno. Outside temps were 87 with humidity at 95% in the shop. It was raining cats and dog at the time. Pinched intercooler line was giving me IAT issues. Meh.
Attached Thumbnails Mustang Dyno remote tune with Anthony Lawshee for Texas Mile-cls55-537whp.jpg  
Old 11-03-2015, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Are you running water/ meth injection yet? Hard to believe IAT will climb that high if you had it. Awesome numbers for AWD mustang dyno. Car must feel insane.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Max.H
Are you running water/ meth injection yet? Hard to believe IAT will climb that high if you had it. Awesome numbers for AWD mustang dyno. Car must feel insane.

Thank you.

1 of my 2 meth/water lines could not be added due to new 90mm throttle body placement. I wasn't really ready for the race, but I dragged my family into it anyway. lol

Working on something kinda cool with the intercooler(s?). I will share it once all of my parts come in. Maybe a fix for the irregular turbulence common with some custom top mount intercoolers?
Old 11-03-2015, 09:02 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
How would you know if the intercooler was cool? It is under the supercharger. Are you talking about the heat exchanger in the bumper was cool?
Old 11-03-2015, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by whipplem104
How would you know if the intercooler was cool? It is under the supercharger. Are you talking about the heat exchanger in the bumper was cool?
uh, see that thing in the left hand corner? i stuck my hand in it. hence my claim of the "intercooler water" still being cool. not enough of heat transfer area to heat up all 5+ gallons of ice water?
Attached Thumbnails Mustang Dyno remote tune with Anthony Lawshee for Texas Mile-engine.jpg  
Old 11-03-2015, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,483 Likes on 983 Posts
This place is a joke.
Your hot air intakes can't be helping any. Any way to run those filters in the grille opening or something? ..at least to test?
Old 11-03-2015, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
Your hot air intakes can't be helping any. Any way to run those filters in the grille opening or something? ..at least to test?
I run this set up for the mile. Ram/forced intake can actually gain pressure/psi at 100+ mph. I use the cones for short distance and dyno.
Attached Thumbnails Mustang Dyno remote tune with Anthony Lawshee for Texas Mile-20141010_000345.jpg  
Old 11-03-2015, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by EREBUS
uh, see that thing in the left hand corner? i stuck my hand in it. hence my claim of the "intercooler water" still being cool. not enough of heat transfer area to heat up all 5+ gallons of ice water?
Sorry, missed the water statement. Actually, I am surprised the water did not head soak in a mile. That is a lot of btus. You do not have air trapped in the intercooler do you?

If you were not heating the water then as you said it would indicate the the intercooler is not transferring the heat to the water. Which would be a core efficiency problem.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
E55 and several 928s
Gosh. So you are saying from your applied experience that the water in the A/W system is not even GETTING the temp put into it (or physics wise, Absorbing) from the supercharger's intercooler? So we are not talking about a coolant system that is unable to reject - we are talking about the water passing through and not accepting the energy efficiently.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:05 AM

Sorry, missed the water statement. Actually, I am surprised the water did not head soak in a mile. That is a lot of btus. You do not have air trapped in the intercooler do you?

If you were not heating the water then as you said it would indicate the the intercooler is not transferring the heat to the water. Which would be a core efficiency problem.
Trapped air? Individual intercooler systems with CM90's do not get trapped air. lol. We would drain damn near freezing water and add more ice with a bottle of rubbing alcohol before burnout staging! The factory intercooler could not displace enough heat to be efficient. Hence, my soon to be plan B?
Old 11-04-2015, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by BC928
Gosh. So you are saying from your applied experience that the water in the A/W system is not even GETTING the temp put into it (or physics wise, Absorbing) from the supercharger's intercooler? So we are not talking about a coolant system that is unable to reject - we are talking about the water passing through and not accepting the energy efficiently.
Yes? (sarcasim, motherf##cker?) Final temp at the mile marker (in limp mode) was 221 degrees. And yet the intercooler water was still cool to touch? People here need to stop for a moment and quadruple their 1/4 mile experiences. Sh*t starts changing past the 1/2 mile. Hopefully my beer philosophy will work with my project set up. I might, for the first time here, actually give back positive feedback/information to the forum. lol
Old 11-04-2015, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
E55 and several 928s
Yes? (sarcasim, motherf##cker?) Final temp at the mile marker (in limp mode) was 221 degrees. And yet the intercooler water was still cool to touch? People here need to stop for a moment and quadruple their 1/4 mile experiences. Sh*t starts changing past the 1/2 mile. Hopefully my beer philosophy will work with my project set up. I might, for the first time here, actually give back positive feedback/information to the forum. lol
This is not Jersey Shore. There are people around here that do actually know what the hell we are talking about. Please do not assume that a question for confirmation means someone is questioning your statements.

I am attempting to clarify your statements, and confirm. What was 221 degrees? At first you say 180 at 3/4 and now you are saying 221 at the mile? 221 Degrees Fahrenheit Intake Air temp? That is essentially acting as though there is no intercooler at all.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:21 AM

I am not sure why you are being so abrasive. Just curious and trying to be helpful. Honestly I have asked multiple times on this forum what the water temperatures are when people complain about the intercooler core. But it is surprising to me that you got such high iat with basically just above freezing water. On much bigger power setups we run 5 gallon reservoirs and fill with ice and have to do that pretty much every 1/4 mile pass. All if not all the ice would be melted. My own car it is hard as well with a 2.5 gallon res. I can only get one 1/4 pass. I would have pretty warm water by the end of a mile run. I can see there would be pretty big differences in efficiency from core to core but it seems strange to me that you are getting 220 degree iat with near freezing water in the i/c. Seems like something is wrong besides the core.
Does it cool down quickly after you stop running hard?
Old 11-04-2015, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by BC928
This is not Jersey Shore. There are people around here that do actually know what the hell we are talking about. Please do not assume that a question for confirmation means someone is questioning your statements.

I am attempting to clarify your statements, and confirm. What was 221 degrees? At first you say 180 at 3/4 and now you are saying 221 at the mile?
First off? "gosh" seems either really old school or really dickish. Apparently, you're old school. My bad.

Second off? 180 to 221 degrees in a 1/4 mile of distance is far fetched with you? You know what you are talking about, right? Progressive heat gain past efficiency is confusing to you in a full 1/4 mile? If so? Just call me " The Situation", then. lolz.

At the end of the mile, I was 221 degrees. News flash? Past 140 degrees is meaningless. I lost 9 degrees of timing.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Thank you.

1 of my 2 meth/water lines could not be added due to new 90mm throttle body placement. I wasn't really ready for the race, but I dragged my family into it anyway. lol

Working on something kinda cool with the intercooler(s?). I will share it once all of my parts come in. Maybe a fix for the irregular turbulence common with some custom top mount intercoolers?
Cool look forward to seeing it!

I think that was the issue right there. I'd be very interested to hear how you do after the 2nd water meth nozzle is installed back into the car.

So, you have one nozzle pre supercharger and one post intercooler pre IAT sensor?

Engine bay looks amazing btw!! Love those red nomex lines and CAI setup.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:14 AM

I am not sure why you are being so abrasive. Just curious and trying to be helpful. Honestly I have asked multiple times on this forum what the water temperatures are when people complain about the intercooler core. But it is surprising to me that you got such high iat with basically just above freezing water. On much bigger power setups we run 5 gallon reservoirs and fill with ice and have to do that pretty much every 1/4 mile pass. All if not all the ice would be melted. My own car it is hard as well with a 2.5 gallon res. I can only get one 1/4 pass. I would have pretty warm water by the end of a mile run. I can see there would be pretty big differences in efficiency from core to core but it seems OKstrange to me that you are getting 220 degree iat with near freezing water in the i/c. Seems like something is wrong besides the core.
Does it cool down quickly after you stop running hard?
Abrasive? Please research my few hundred responses to people like you about mile runs. I'm now at the point of diminishing returns with boost and heat.( I'm above freezing before launching......not at the end of the mile?) What is hard for you all to understand? I'm near doubling factory horsepower and attempting to use my factory intercooler that is placed in the engine valley to cool my IAT's? Why is it a God d*mn suprise to you all it's not cooling? No, really? lol

Find 3 miles of open road and launch hard from a dig. Report back with us. Yeah, it's that simple. Make sure you are running 185 crank pulley and clutched supercharger pulley with 15.5 lbs of boost with long tube headers and open exhaust. How about you all try it? Why ask the results? Live it.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Max.H
Cool look forward to seeing it!

I think that was the issue right there. I'd be very interested to hear how you do after the 2nd water meth nozzle is installed back into the car.

So, you have one nozzle pre supercharger and one post intercooler pre IAT sensor?

Engine bay looks amazing btw!! Love those red nomex lines and CAI setup.
Thank you again, brother!

I have one 4gph nozzle before the supercharger and one 10 gph pre intercooler. Even with this set up I would still get past 140 degrees in the mile. I really think the intercooler set up that I'm working on will help us.....
Old 11-04-2015, 05:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Nice!!!
Old 11-04-2015, 06:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
I have a spare intercooler I plan on converting to single pass. Just wondering if you have already done that?
Old 11-04-2015, 07:44 AM

Abrasive? Please research my few hundred responses to people like you about mile runs. I'm now at the point of diminishing returns with boost and heat.( I'm above freezing before launching......not at the end of the mile?) What is hard for you all to understand? I'm near doubling factory horsepower and attempting to use my factory intercooler that is placed in the engine valley to cool my IAT's? Why is it a God d*mn suprise to you all it's not cooling? No, really? lol

Find 3 miles of open road and launch hard from a dig. Report back with us. Yeah, it's that simple. Make sure you are running 185 crank pulley and clutched supercharger pulley with 15.5 lbs of boost with long tube headers and open exhaust. How about you all try it? Why ask the results? Live it.
Well good luck to you. I did not know anyone was making a 1000hp on an 55k platform or even 900, and I was talking about the water temps. You said the water still had ice in it.
Let us know how it goes and we will all make sure not to respond.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by StarvingArtist
I have a spare intercooler I plan on converting to single pass. Just wondering if you have already done that?
Yes sir, my intercooler is a single pass. I do not really notice lower IAT's.....just quicker recovery. Still worth doing!
Old 11-04-2015, 01:13 PM

Well good luck to you.
thank you.

I did not know anyone was making a 1000hp on an 55k platform or even 900
ok, you lost me on this one?

I was talking about the water temps.
me too. can we start over fresh this time?

You said the water still had ice in it.
did I really? i thought i said the water was still cool? if I had ice in it still there would be a problem. lol

Let us know how it goes and we will all make sure not to respond.
responding is cool. repeatedly confusing what i post is kinda weird?
Old 11-04-2015, 01:33 PM

well you said you were making near double factory hp. Since the e55 came with a little less than 500hp at the crank that would put you in the 900-1000hp area. I think the spec was 469 or something close.
I am glad you are talking about water temps. Because that is a separate issue from the intercooler to an extent. As you stated the water was still cool and the iat are high. That is an intercooler issue. If the water temps get high then it is not. But I am still surprised to see them get so high with such cool water. As said by someone else it seems as though you were not getting any cooling. Typical discharge temps for a supercharger are in the 150-200 above ambient range. Unless you are just completely overdriving the supercharger which you might be. I though I saw you had around 15psi stated. It would be interesting to see a log of the iat during the whole run. What did they do in the 1/8th and so on.
Also with a very large pump you can have cavitation. Which will really reduce output and induce a lot of air bubbles into the system. Are you getting clean flow of water into your reservoir? With out a lot of bubbles. What is your gph? I measure into a 5 gallon bucket on the return and time it. Should be getting atleast 10gph for high power levels. If not maybe bypass the heat exchanger if you have not already.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,483 Likes on 983 Posts
This place is a joke.
Thank you again, brother!

I have one 4gph nozzle before the supercharger and one 10 gph pre intercooler. Even with this set up I would still get past 140 degrees in the mile. I really think the intercooler set up that I'm working on will help us.....
Even with my mild mods, when I was testing meth nozzle placement, I saw zero, meaning no improvement whatsoever in IAT's with a nozzle pre-supercharger. Yes, the SC feels cooler on top right after you pull over and touch it. You know why I think that is? The excess water evaporating off the case after you pull over and idle as the air passes through, thus making it feel "not so hot" but the hot air has long ago traveled through there. A little hard to explain; but; there is a guy on youtube with a toyota, revving the engine with the hood open and a temp gun...showing how cold his intake tract is getting...thinking his IAT is the same. What he is seeing is the evaporative cooling of the metal intake piping, not the AIR itself!! Make any sense?
My meth injection takes about 30F off the top..no matter how big of a nozzle I tried and regardless of starting IAT. And this was only up to around 80-90mph from a dig. On a hot day, no ice, no bull****, just driving; I'd see about 160F at the end of a 1/4 mile run. With the meth I'd see 130F.
I still run a #1 nozzle pre-supercharger, because I think I saw a slight increase in boost while running it, and it looks cool there
I also have a modded stock intercooler with 3/4" fittings and hose throughout. I still see the same IAT's as before, but the recovery time is fast, almost instant.

Last edited by E55Greasemonkey; 11-04-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:48 PM
DVC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
'06 E55 AMG
Great MD numbers! Can you please post a graph of the AFR?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mustang Dyno remote tune with Anthony Lawshee for Texas Mile