MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   Replaced all front bushings, still hear slight clicking noise going over speed bump. (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/620921-replaced-all-front-bushings-still-hear-slight-clicking-noise-going-over-speed-bump.html)

Max.H 04-04-2016 01:45 AM

Replaced all front bushings, still hear slight clicking noise going over speed bump.

Replaced my thrust arms, Top and Bottom ball joints. Car rides great and super smooth! BUt, still hear a slight clicking noise from front left side when going over speed bumps. It was much worse before and you could hear the clicking at low speeds.

The old ball joints were all pretty bad.

Anyone ran into this before? I'm thinking it's sway bar end link? I can re grease the sway bar bushings and change end links.

Sorry if this specific question has been asked before. :y

StarvingArtist 04-04-2016 06:28 AM

Check the steering rack. A tiny bit of up and down play in the slide bushings makes a lot of noise.

RVAE34 04-04-2016 12:29 PM

My car has this too. MB told me it was the airmatic strut and that all of the rest of my suspension was perfect (only 34k miles). I still have a hard time believing the struts would cause this noise. If they still hold air perfectly, what would cause the noise?

gjunon 04-04-2016 04:55 PM

Grease up the sway bar bushings should solve your problem. Also replace the tie rod ends if you haven't already.

BC928 04-04-2016 05:10 PM

As I have been told, the sway bar bushing which are somehow formed to the subframe are to blame for some of these clicking events.

Max.H 04-04-2016 07:02 PM

Ok will grease sway bar bushings and check steering rack end links I'm guessing? Anyone know what end links? Need some exact information, it will help others who encounter the same issue sooner or later.

I can't imagine its good. I thought for sure all the ball joints would correct this.

Ls1toAMG 04-04-2016 07:24 PM

I encounter this with every Camaro I have had and now with the 55. The sway bar. You notice it most going into garage 1/2 inch elevation or places where you drive in grass(very noticable) it's annoying for sure

gjunon 04-04-2016 08:47 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7f54747bfa.png

The rubber bushings on the bottom of the rack. I hope this helps.

Max.H 04-04-2016 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by gjunon (Post 6760576)
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7f54747bfa.png

The rubber bushings on the bottom of the rack. I hope this helps.

#80 you mean? :y

Hopefully it can be replaced easily without dropping the entire rack?

I'm going to change our my steering rod end links too. they have bushings and I'm betting they are shot also.

Someone mentioned sway bar end links also in another thread. Guess it wouldn't hurt to swap those too for new ones.

Hopefully that resolves the issue.

Max.H 04-04-2016 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ls1toAMG (Post 6760475)
I encounter this with every Camaro I have had and now with the 55. The sway bar. You notice it most going into garage 1/2 inch elevation or places where you drive in grass(very noticable) it's annoying for sure

Are you saying sway bar end links? Maybe, it's a good idea now to put new sway bar bushings and grease them also.

gjunon 04-05-2016 12:39 AM

http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?par...FUdlfgodvHICsA

Use this on your sway bar bushings.

Yes #80 is correct.

Max.H 04-05-2016 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by gjunon (Post 6760807)
http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?par...FUdlfgodvHICsA

Use this on your sway bar bushings.

Yes #80 is correct.

I have the worst feeling changing out the #80 bushings, assuming there is 2. Is going to be a PITA. Does this require removing the steering rack??

1. grease sway bar bushings
2. replace tie rods on each side of steering rack
3. replace bushings #80 in diagram between steering rack and lower cross member
4. Replace sway bar end links if needed.

Is that right? Am I Missing anything? TIA

gjunon 04-05-2016 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Max.H (Post 6760850)
I have the worst feeling changing out the #80 bushings, assuming there is 2. Is going to be a PITA. Does this require removing the steering rack??

1. grease sway bar bushings
2. replace tie rods on each side of steering rack
3. replace bushings #80 in diagram between steering rack and lower cross member
4. Replace sway bar end links if needed.

Is that right? Am I Missing anything? TIA

#1 you will need to use the correct grease. I posted a link to some really great grease should have to do it once a year.

#2 if you are going to do inner tie rods as well you will need a grease gun and some grease. you will be able to tell how much play your inner tie rods have when you remove the outer portion if the inner portion just drops without any resistance at all it is time for replacements. you will need a ball joint separator. I have both the press and the separator and am also located in San Diego.

#3 the steering rack isn't all that complicated to take out shouldn't cause you too much of a problem.

#4 correct.

#5 you should also look into replacing your thrust arms. If you search my post history I made a DIY sadly it is titled control arms. you will need the press if you are going to attempt this. I highly recommend it.

gjunon 04-05-2016 03:11 AM

Oh and you will need to remember how many turns each of your outer tie rods require to be removed and try and put the new ones on to that amount of turns.

Max.H 04-05-2016 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by gjunon (Post 6760862)
#1 you will need to use the correct grease. I posted a link to some really great grease should have to do it once a year.

#2 if you are going to do inner tie rods as well you will need a grease gun and some grease. you will be able to tell how much play your inner tie rods have when you remove the outer portion if the inner portion just drops without any resistance at all it is time for replacements. you will need a ball joint separator. I have both the press and the separator and am also located in San Diego.

#3 the steering rack isn't all that complicated to take out shouldn't cause you too much of a problem.

#4 correct.

#5 you should also look into replacing your thrust arms. If you search my post history I made a DIY sadly it is titled control arms. you will need the press if you are going to attempt this. I highly recommend it.

Saw the grease link, thanks

Inner tie rods? Im guessing the rods in between the outer tie rods and steering rack? Might be a better idea to change those along with new outer tie rods? I have a feeling they will droop down, its never been changed.

I changed thrust arms and a long with upper and lower ball joints. THey were totally shot.

Sweet, thanks for the generous offer buddy! I would but, I'm not in SD at moment. I'm out of town work related and going to a local indy shop.

So, at the very least the steering rack needs to be moved out of the way to replace #80 bushings you mentioned?

Trying to gather detailed info and head to indy shop so I can tell them exactly what needs to be done. I will also bring the parts.

mkiv_tdi 04-05-2016 02:45 PM

Fortunately, inner tie rod ends are easy as **** to change. Literally a 2hr job start to finish both sides!

Max.H 04-05-2016 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by mkiv_tdi (Post 6761531)
Fortunately, inner tie rod ends are easy as **** to change. Literally a 2hr job start to finish both sides!

Thats great news! Thanks

Max.H 04-05-2016 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by gjunon (Post 6760862)

#4 correct.

How many hour job do you think this would be for a shop?

gjunon 04-05-2016 03:14 PM

I would guess 3 to 4 hours. Not sure since I do the majority of my own car work

gjunon 04-05-2016 03:17 PM

You can remove the bolts holding the steering rack in place. You should have plenty of play to get to where you need to be without dropping the rack.

Max.H 04-05-2016 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by gjunon (Post 6761579)
You can remove the bolts holding the steering rack in place. You should have plenty of play to get to where you need to be without dropping the rack.

Found the bushing kit for the steering rack it comes in a set of 4. Is that right?

Probably need to replace the boots and have them regressed if I'm going to change out the inner tie rods for steering rack.

Thanks for the help!

mkiv_tdi 04-05-2016 03:43 PM

Link to bushings?

I need to refresh my front end! I just did my inner tie rods (and outer since I was in there anyways) because my right boot was torn over the fall, which allowed crud and other debris to get in there and eat away at the joint, and the wheel developed play over the course of a few months. I just got new tires delivered today, so might as well refresh the whole front end before I go for an alignment!

Thanks

Max.H 04-05-2016 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by mkiv_tdi (Post 6761615)
Link to bushings?

I need to refresh my front end! I just did my inner tie rods (and outer since I was in there anyways) because my right boot was torn over the fall, which allowed crud and other debris to get in there and eat away at the joint, and the wheel developed play over the course of a few months. I just got new tires delivered today, so might as well refresh the whole front end before I go for an alignment!

Thanks

Does your car make the clicking sound going over uneven roads?

Here you go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151375011128?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

gjunon 04-05-2016 05:34 PM

Looks good max. That's the set.

Max.H 04-05-2016 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by gjunon (Post 6761810)
Looks good max. That's the set.

OK thank you very much for your help :y

I'm going to have this checked out and done. I hope it gets rid of that daamn clickity clack. My car has never had this before so it has to go. :rolf: