W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weistec Oil Air Separator Placement '07 E63

Old 10-21-2016, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63 AMG
Weistec Oil Air Separator Placement '07 E63

Just got my oil air separator in for my 07 E63 and the directions for where is goes are not helping right now. All the pictures I see online are for the C-63 which is different. I can't find a place to mount this thing. I realize it should go on the passenger side near the dipstick but there is a giant bundle of cables in the way and it covers the dip stick.

Any suggestions? Pictures?

Thanks
Old 10-21-2016, 05:16 PM

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
I'll take a pic when I get home, but after being perplexed myself, I had my amg tech install it. He could only really find space for it at the front of the bay, left side, between abs pump module and radiator. He fashioned a custom bracket for it and ran line overs to it from the rear. Not the easiest to get to, but he said that he actually had more room on his C63 when he installed one on his. I was worried about the length of the run, but he talked to one of the guys as weistec who said no issue and concurred on its location of installation.

I'm sure there are other suitable locations, maybe even better, but that's what we ended up with.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:56 PM

2007 E63 AMG
That would be great. If I could just shift the wire bundle around more..I think I would have room...but I don't wanna pull on wires either.

I found a picture online of a guy working on an e63 engine for ...but his arm is in the way of the way it mounted.

Little disappointed for $700 I may still be looking at getting a custom mounting bracket.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:05 PM

'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
My tech just fashioned something from his shop. Nothing fancy, and you don't see it as it's tucked way the hell in there. It's mostly out of the way of wires and he used the heavy tubing that was in the weistec kit. I don't think he had to get more from them (I wouldn't have wanted two types of tubing used; he knows me well).

He did, however, put some kind of industrial felt adhesive padding on the back of the ABS pump cause pulling the catch can up and away from the bracket tends to rub a bit on the pump. Not to the point of causing operational damage, but could cause some of the black finish on the top edge of the can to rub off at some point.

My E isn't my daily, so I'll post a few pics of it all when I get home.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:24 PM

'20 GLE450; '06 CL65

Attached are two close up pics, then one of bay for reference and how it's tucked to where you can't see it unless you are on top of it. The bracket fits over the bay weatherstrip metal lip and under the weatherstrip itself. You can see where the felt pad is added on the ABS pump. There just isn't a whole lot of room for any ancillaries flanking the motor itself.
The following users liked this post:
ArmyDoc (10-23-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 01:55 PM

2007 E63 AMG
Skizz,
Beers on me if I am ever in your neck of the woods..huge help. I never would have figured that out.

I was able to pull off that intake duct and slide it in. Also, found if I moved the weistec mount up so that it only can get one screw in it actually fits nicely until I get a longer one made.

Still super tight with the tubes and all. I thought this was a pretty tedious job overall. Now to run some Techron through and clean up the mess from before.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:06 PM

'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
Happy to help and glad you got it worked out. It was very indeed tedious; that's why I wussed out and handed it off to my tech. He had some parts off anyway doing some warranty work (he did the updated headbolts, buckets and cams and of course, cleaned up the intake while there) so he replaced the stock pulleys with Wesitecs and did the catch can while he was in there, too, so that made it easier. It's still kind of a pain to get to it to pull and dump/clean, but nothing like installing it.
Again, glad it worked for you. I've done (along with my beloved amg tech) a lot of stuff to my E, so if I can ever be of any assistance, just give me a shout.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
2008 Mercedes Benz E63
It really is a great modification to these cars.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:07 PM

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts
E63 AMG 2007
I should do a search, but maybe someone else is as clueless as I am. What is the purpose of this, to keep breather oil from entering the intake? Fowling the airmass sensor?

Skizz, nice looking under the hood, like the gold, etc.

Last edited by Dublinoh; 10-26-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Skizz (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 04:34 PM

'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
Generally it is to keep oil out of the intake manifold from blowby as much as is practicable, thereby reducing detonation and lowering of octane. All that means less (or unstable) power delivery. My tech says that it isn't as much of an issue for tracked cars, or ones driven hard, as the excess oil tends to burn off when high rpms are achieved, but if a typical in-town driver it becomes more of an issue. Again, this is just a generalization. Lazy12g would know much more and much more accurately about this than I would.

Thanks, Dublinoh. The gold is taken straight from Jon's Reflect-a-gold insanity write up. It looks cool, but how much it really does....eh. The reflect a gold tape doesn't stick that well for me and I'm sure Jon did a much better job wrapping. Funny, I did it twice; one time without beer and one time with about three or four under the belt. The one with beer looked better. I'm gonna kill a twelver on my third try to see if I can get it perfect
Dublinoh (10-26-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 04:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 E63 Wagon
Mine is close to the firewall, it is a bit of tight squeeze with the oil dip stick, but no issues.

Weistec Oil Air Separator Placement '07 E63-08e63amgwagon_37.jpg
Old 10-27-2016, 04:35 PM

'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
I like it. I would prefer a shorter run on mine as well.