MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   Brake Service Questions (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/654145-brake-service-questions.html)

JoeJErnst 02-23-2017 01:30 PM

Brake Service Questions

I'm about to install new pads and rotors all the way around and while I'm at it I should do a brake fluid flush. Is there a DIY anywhere showing how to do a flush? I have STAR so I should be able to do the same thing as the dealer, but I've never done one of these systems before. Any advice?

carguyshu 02-23-2017 02:56 PM

in addition to star you also need a motive power bleeder (can purchase on amazon for about $50). when you go into star it does an easy step by step procedure of bleeding the brakes. You will need around a gallon of brake fluid to fully bleed the system. you also will want to hook the battery up to a battery charger while you do it as it will use a lot of battery actuating the SBC unit. Might even want to buy an extra gallon of fluid in case things go sour midway through (they did for me and I had to restart all over again). There are 2 bleeder screws in each front caliper (as one is used to bleed the emergency backup braking system), but star is very specific about when to open which bleeder screw.

The Dot 4 brake fluid MB uses is supposed to be changed every 2 years. Dot 4 has a higher boiling point vs dot 3, but absorbs more moisture. This is why the service interval is only 2 years. If the brake fluid gets hot, then the water will evaporate/boil out and then where the water was in the brake fluid there will just be air and air does not stop hydraulic brakes.

Rocman8 02-25-2017 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by carguyshu (Post 7065105)
in addition to star you also need a motive power bleeder (can purchase on amazon for about $50). when you go into star it does an easy step by step procedure of bleeding the brakes. You will need around a gallon of brake fluid to fully bleed the system. you also will want to hook the battery up to a battery charger while you do it as it will use a lot of battery actuating the SBC unit. Might even want to buy an extra gallon of fluid in case things go sour midway through (they did for me and I had to restart all over again). There are 2 bleeder screws in each front caliper (as one is used to bleed the emergency backup braking system), but star is very specific about when to open which bleeder screw.

The Dot 4 brake fluid MB uses is supposed to be changed every 2 years. Dot 4 has a higher boiling point vs dot 3, but absorbs more moisture. This is why the service interval is only 2 years. If the brake fluid gets hot, then the water will evaporate/boil out and then where the water was in the brake fluid there will just be air and air does not stop hydraulic brakes.

DOT 4+

DVC 02-26-2017 12:05 PM

The amount of fluid SDS uses is unreal. Be prepared as Carguyshu states. Even though I have STAR, I instead just use the Motive at the reservoir and a vac bleeder at the caliper. Works well and is more efficient.

rapidoxidation 02-26-2017 12:24 PM

IIRC, without using STAR you're not bleeding the emergency backup hydraulic circuit.

BoostedAero 02-26-2017 07:29 PM

DIY'd

Originally Posted by JoeJErnst (Post 7065010)
Is there a DIY anywhere showing how to do a flush? I have STAR... Any advice?

You have been DIY'd

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...id-change.html

JoeJErnst 02-27-2017 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by BoostedAero (Post 7067960)

Thanks for the link! I don't know how the hell I didn't find that when I searched, but it's exactly what I need!

BoostedAero 02-27-2017 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by JoeJErnst (Post 7068645)
Thanks for the link! I don't know how the hell I didn't find that when I searched, but it's exactly what I need!

Meh, I am a MBworld crackhead ;) It is on my list to do this month once I fix my pulley issue so I had already emailed the link to myself

Glad to help!