W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Service Questions

Old 02-23-2017, 01:30 PM

Received 94 Likes on 83 Posts
2004 E55
Brake Service Questions

I'm about to install new pads and rotors all the way around and while I'm at it I should do a brake fluid flush. Is there a DIY anywhere showing how to do a flush? I have STAR so I should be able to do the same thing as the dealer, but I've never done one of these systems before. Any advice?
Old 02-23-2017, 02:56 PM

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts
2003 e55, 2003 SL55
in addition to star you also need a motive power bleeder (can purchase on amazon for about $50). when you go into star it does an easy step by step procedure of bleeding the brakes. You will need around a gallon of brake fluid to fully bleed the system. you also will want to hook the battery up to a battery charger while you do it as it will use a lot of battery actuating the SBC unit. Might even want to buy an extra gallon of fluid in case things go sour midway through (they did for me and I had to restart all over again). There are 2 bleeder screws in each front caliper (as one is used to bleed the emergency backup braking system), but star is very specific about when to open which bleeder screw.

The Dot 4 brake fluid MB uses is supposed to be changed every 2 years. Dot 4 has a higher boiling point vs dot 3, but absorbs more moisture. This is why the service interval is only 2 years. If the brake fluid gets hot, then the water will evaporate/boil out and then where the water was in the brake fluid there will just be air and air does not stop hydraulic brakes.
The following 2 users liked this post by carguyshu:
atoms (02-23-2017), JoeJErnst (02-23-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts
2006 E55, 2005 C55, 2005 E320 Estate Sport, 2015 ML350
Originally Posted by carguyshu View Post
in addition to star you also need a motive power bleeder (can purchase on amazon for about $50). when you go into star it does an easy step by step procedure of bleeding the brakes. You will need around a gallon of brake fluid to fully bleed the system. you also will want to hook the battery up to a battery charger while you do it as it will use a lot of battery actuating the SBC unit. Might even want to buy an extra gallon of fluid in case things go sour midway through (they did for me and I had to restart all over again). There are 2 bleeder screws in each front caliper (as one is used to bleed the emergency backup braking system), but star is very specific about when to open which bleeder screw.

The Dot 4 brake fluid MB uses is supposed to be changed every 2 years. Dot 4 has a higher boiling point vs dot 3, but absorbs more moisture. This is why the service interval is only 2 years. If the brake fluid gets hot, then the water will evaporate/boil out and then where the water was in the brake fluid there will just be air and air does not stop hydraulic brakes.
DOT 4+
Old 02-26-2017, 12:05 PM
DVC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
'06 E55 AMG, '04 SVT Lightning
The amount of fluid SDS uses is unreal. Be prepared as Carguyshu states. Even though I have STAR, I instead just use the Motive at the reservoir and a vac bleeder at the caliper. Works well and is more efficient.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:24 PM

Received 77 Likes on 75 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
IIRC, without using STAR you're not bleeding the emergency backup hydraulic circuit.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:29 PM

Received 113 Likes on 92 Posts
2004 E55
DIY'd

Originally Posted by JoeJErnst View Post
Is there a DIY anywhere showing how to do a flush? I have STAR... Any advice?
You have been DIY'd

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...id-change.html
The following users liked this post:
JoeJErnst (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 01:49 PM

Received 94 Likes on 83 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by BoostedAero View Post
Thanks for the link! I don't know how the hell I didn't find that when I searched, but it's exactly what I need!
Old 02-27-2017, 02:41 PM

Received 113 Likes on 92 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by JoeJErnst View Post
Thanks for the link! I don't know how the hell I didn't find that when I searched, but it's exactly what I need!
Meh, I am a MBworld crackhead It is on my list to do this month once I fix my pulley issue so I had already emailed the link to myself

Glad to help!