MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   w211 radio cutting in and out every 5 minutes (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/658864-w211-radio-cutting-out-every-5-minutes.html)

65cobra 03-12-2017 02:36 PM

w211 radio cutting in and out every 5 minutes

Update: Fixed! I cut out the navigations cd drive with a fiberoptic loop, thanks guys!

I just bought a new to me e55, so I am sorry I will be bombarding with a few questions

my stereo cuts out for 1-3 seconds every 5-10 minutes. the screen does not flash. sometimes it happens with a high pitched squeal especially when in AUX mode. In FM mode it just goes quiet for the same 1-3 seconds

also sometimes when it comes back on not all the speakers work, then it will cut back out and in and they will all work.

I kind of think it may be the amp but, thats just my guess.

I also have the battery protection warning that some convience functions are limited that toggles on and off.

verminator 03-12-2017 02:43 PM

Sounds like it may be time to change out your auxiliary battery. It is up front passenger side on the firewall underneath the cabin air filter. It's primary purpose is to be a back up for your sbc breaking system but when they start to go you get the convenience features disabled message. Uncover it and check the voltage and go from there. GL.

65cobra 03-12-2017 02:56 PM

hopefully thats it I just posted another thread, its an ever ready battery probably from walmart I could not find a date code on it but it has 12.5 volts when its disconnected and 13.95 when its connected and the car is at idle. it seems to be okay. the trunk battery is most suspect its at 12.18 disconnected and 13.88 when connected at idle.

verminator 03-12-2017 03:25 PM

Those numbers sound OK. Did the car sit for a while before you bought it? Maybe just charge them up. Other things that will silence the radio are the telaid being inoperative, also gives you a message on the display. The car is sensitive to the battery voltages, so if it sat and they discharged the issue may go away..?

BagMan 03-13-2017 04:43 PM

I had this problem and it turned out to be the factory bluetooth. I just removed the BT module from the MOST ring. It's in the trunk.

Drove me crazy for months. Replaced the head unit, amp, nav but it still happened.

If you don't have the factory phone & bluetooth, forget everything I just said.

Good Luck!

65cobra 03-14-2017 12:18 AM

I am thinking it some short in the system, it does not happen when I am parked just when I am driving

I replaced the big battery today still same error code so I don't think its anything to do with that.

how do I take stuff out of the most ring, the sirius box was not bolted down and was flopping around..... I don't need the nav stuff either.

ok I found a fiber loop, for $8 on amazon Ill start skipping stuff and see If I can find the culprit

Rocman8 03-14-2017 01:29 AM

Start with software updates on the comand and audio gateway. Fixes 90 percent of them. Go to a dealer and have someone do it that's done it before.

65cobra 03-14-2017 11:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think my next step is waiting for the fiber optic loop to come but while searching the headunit on car-part using the vin search my current headunit is not listed as one of the options, could that be part of the problem?

here is a pic of the tag

65cobra 03-17-2017 01:35 PM

Fixed put a fiberoptic loop in the nav, cd player in the trunk and it stopped cutting out. on to the next things.....

Thanks for all the help

Lee Gregory 02-24-2018 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by 65cobra (Post 7087211)
Fixed put a fiberoptic loop in the nav, cd player in the trunk and it stopped cutting out. on to the next things.....

Thanks for all the help

Do you have a photo of how you did that? Thank you

65cobra 02-24-2018 11:44 PM

I dont have a pic but basically i unplugged the nav cd player fiber optic wire and plugged a loop into the fiber optic cable. so essentially I bypassed the nav.

mondo 03-04-2018 03:10 AM

This just started happening to me this weekend. so frustrating! this thread will be very helpful, thanks. :y

scott099 05-04-2018 10:56 PM

I'm having the same problem! happens ONLY when I'm driving the audio will cut out. doesn't matter if its radio, cd, cdc. if I'm parked the audio runs non-stop no problem. glad I found this thread and hope that loop fixes mine too :)

mondo 05-06-2018 06:38 AM

mine has actually stopped doing it. absolutely no idea why? :crazy:

scott099 05-08-2018 04:14 PM

I'm happy to report this fixed mine too!

I installed the fiber optic loop bypass on the navigation, no more cutting out! before it would cut out almost exactly once a minute only when driving. it didn't matter the source - radio, cd, cdc, didn't matter the volume or anything else. just when driving. immediately after installing the bypass on the nav the audio will play non-stop again.

Thank you so much!!

Sphinx144 01-15-2020 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by scott099 (Post 7449487)
I'm happy to report this fixed mine too!

I installed the fiber optic loop bypass on the navigation, no more cutting out! before it would cut out almost exactly once a minute only when driving. it didn't matter the source - radio, cd, cdc, didn't matter the volume or anything else. just when driving. immediately after installing the bypass on the nav the audio will play non-stop again.

Thank you so much!!

So by bypass you mean you got rid of the navigation and now it no longer works?
I'm having problem with my navigation not finding satellites and I'm guessing because of that I'm also experiencing this issue you guys describe in this thread.

UPDATE :
I did the bypass as indicated here, everything Works perfectly now except no more navigation.

mondo 01-16-2020 04:53 AM

well there's a coincidence i ever i saw one. yesterday i thought i would dig this thread up for another look and here it is! my car has started doing this again i'm pretty sure it was after i tried to run the Nav system a few weeks ago. bloody annoying.

MarsE220 12-04-2020 10:42 AM

My E220 year 2012 radio cuts out....due to Bluetooth connection with Motorola E6 mobile.

Have to turn off radio then turn off Bluetooth on phone turn on radio and then reconnect phone.

Happens every time I make a call!!!!

What a pain....or I could simply not connect the phone.

mondo 12-05-2020 05:03 AM

oddly enough, mine has stopped playing up again. that's twice now.