MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   New to me E55...fuel problem (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/659358-new-me-e55-fuel-problem.html)

djdiplomat 03-16-2017 10:28 PM

New to me E55...fuel problem

Just purchased a 04 E55 with 130k. Today I filled it up for the 1st time and I got the dreaded fuel smell I read around the forums. Seems to be stronger around the passenger rear. Planning and removing the seat in the AM to see if I can notice anything. I pulled up the VIN on the MB website and I see the fuel smell recall was done in 08.
Should I bother with the dealer and bring it in or am I wasting my time since they already performed the recall?

Hulk 03-16-2017 10:38 PM

In 2008 there was no recall, the previous owner paid for it. Now there is an extended warranty so all you have to do is bring it in and they will fix it, as long as there's a strong fuel smell in the cabin

You must be in the USA to have this extended warranty done

djdiplomat 03-16-2017 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hulk (Post 7086709)
In 2008 there was no recall, the previous owner paid for it. Now there is an extended warranty so all you have to do is bring it in and they will fix it, as long as there's a strong fuel smell in the cabin

Thanks! This is what I'm reading about the service in 08:

EPA 3389 Dec 14, 2007 Mar 07, 2008 Completed CHECK FUEL FILTER MODULE ASSEMBLY AND REPAIR OR REPLACE IF NECESSARY
SUMMARY
Daimler AG (DAG), the manufacturer of Mercedes-Benz vehicles, determined that in certain Model Year 2003 - 2006 E-Class and 2006 CLS-Class vehicles, exposed to high ambient temperatures in combination with frequent stop and go driving, small cracks may develop over time in the fuel filter module due to mechanical stress. Fuel evaporation through these small cracks may lead to customer complaints of fuel smell.
CONSEQUENCE
Customer complaints of fuel smell.
View Customer Letter
An authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer will check the fuel filter module and repair or install an improved fuel filter module if necessary. Emission Recall Campaign 2008020001. Owners may contact Mercedes-Benz at 1-800-367-6372.

Rocman8 03-16-2017 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by djdiplomat (Post 7086720)
Thanks! This is what I'm reading about the service in 08:

EPA 3389 Dec 14, 2007 Mar 07, 2008 Completed CHECK FUEL FILTER MODULE ASSEMBLY AND REPAIR OR REPLACE IF NECESSARY
SUMMARY
Daimler AG (DAG), the manufacturer of Mercedes-Benz vehicles, determined that in certain Model Year 2003 - 2006 E-Class and 2006 CLS-Class vehicles, exposed to high ambient temperatures in combination with frequent stop and go driving, small cracks may develop over time in the fuel filter module due to mechanical stress. Fuel evaporation through these small cracks may lead to customer complaints of fuel smell.
CONSEQUENCE
Customer complaints of fuel smell.
View Customer Letter
An authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer will check the fuel filter module and repair or install an improved fuel filter module if necessary. Emission Recall Campaign 2008020001. Owners may contact Mercedes-Benz at 1-800-367-6372.

This is a very old recall and does not apply here. You have any leaks on your tank or component attached to the tank then you get a completely new assembled tank with pumps and filter for free under the 15 year warranty extension.

Strigoi 03-17-2017 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Hulk (Post 7086709)

I had mine done recently and you couldn't even smell it in the car. When you pulled the seat up there was a bit of fuel there and it smelled in the garage. They warrantied it and even gave me a loaner.

Jelanib 03-17-2017 02:05 AM

Don't pay for it unless you want to pay about $5 grand. Take it to the dealer, they will replace it. Dealer replaced my fuel tank, sending unit, and pump along with a loaner. Heads up call around and make sure you're talking to the right person. People answering the phone don't always know what's going on but you shouldn't have any problems getting it replaced.

I would feel very sad for you if you paid for it.

djdiplomat 03-21-2017 09:13 PM

Just an update...everything getting replaced under the recall.