MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   Supercharger oil change kit $15 (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/659625-supercharger-oil-change-kit-15-a.html)

kenneyd 03-19-2017 07:18 PM

Supercharger oil change kit $15

This past weekend I changed the fluid in my 59k mile e55's supercharger. Like most people, The fluid I extracted out was disgusting, black, stinky and dirty. I was able to pull out 140ml and although the common belief here is the refill is 150ml, I put in 190ml before it started to spill out.

Here is one how to : https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...refilling.html

I changed mine in a about 40 minutes, in car. I now plan on doing it every 30k miles or so now

I have 3 200ml kits for sale, fresh, genuine Mobil Jet II. $15 shipped to your door in the cont' 48.
PM me
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...psndluxrps.jpg

kenneyd 03-19-2017 08:23 PM

2 remaining

XSTAR 03-19-2017 09:00 PM

My car has only 49k miles but is an '04. Would love to do this...though seems like such a PITA without removing supercharger. Maybe I need to go read the old thread?

kenneyd 03-19-2017 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by XSTAR (Post 7089087)
My car has only 49k miles but is an '04. Would love to do this...though seems like such a PITA without removing supercharger. Maybe I need to go read the old thread?

It wasnt that bad. The hardest part with sucking out the old oil.
Pop the front engine cover off
Stuff a towel under the area to catch drips and the plug if you drop it
I used a set of "T" handled allen bits to break the 5mm plug lose. Then used a ball tip allen to remove it. left a magnet under in case i dropped it.
Then i used a shampoo/ soap style handpump with a clear hose on it to suck the fluid out. I even stuffed a bent hanger in side the clear tube, but had the best luck just with the tube only.
Put the tube on the bottle nozzle and squeeze till is start to drip out.
Reinstall plug. I put a little Teflon tape on mine.

bbirdwell 03-19-2017 10:39 PM

Check PM.

Rocman8 03-19-2017 11:56 PM

It's not supposed to be filled till it spills out.

Max.H 03-20-2017 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Rocman8 (Post 7089191)
It's not supposed to be filled till it spills out.

Why not?

equitiesguy 03-20-2017 09:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Max.H (Post 7089265)
Why not?

Because it will leak out of the front bolt significantly, since that's equal to the level of the filler, and when the engine runs proceed to spill down on to the belts and pulleys as the supercharger is engaged and the oil is whipped.

Correct fill is 150ml. This isn't a rear end fill job unfortunately.

Also, you need to flush the fluid out several times. It requires about 3/4 of a Jet Oil II can. You only get about half the old, terrible fluid out in the first pass because its not possible to suction it out completely. You want to drain it, fill it, drain it, fill it, drain it, and then fill it to the exact right amount one last time.

The oil itself is easy to obtain from any local business airport. Just find an airplane supply company near the smaller hangars. $20 --- or order online for less.

kenneyd 03-20-2017 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by equitiesguy (Post 7089474)
Because it will leak out of the front bolt significantly, since that's equal to the level of the filler, and when the engine runs proceed to spill down on to the belts and pulleys as the supercharger is engaged and the oil is whipped.

Correct fill is 150ml. This isn't a rear end fill job unfortunately.

Also, you need to flush the fluid out several times. It requires about 3/4 of a Jet Oil II can. You only get about half the old, terrible fluid out in the first pass because its not possible to suction it out completely. You want to drain it, fill it, drain it, fill it, drain it, and then fill it to the exact right amount one last time.

The oil itself is easy to obtain from any local business airport. Just find an airplane supply company near the smaller hangars. $20 --- or order online for less.

Do what you want.
Before i did this, i read all the replies in about 5 threads on this and all but one guy said, "fill to the plug hole".
There is no guidance or written fill amount from mercedes that anyone has been able to find other then the obvious... the designed drain/fill plug location! Why would they put it exactly at the 1/3 gear coverage just like every other gear oiling system level??? Mercedes should have just put it at the top if the reason was for leaks.
Also, what do you think the fluid does when the gears are moving? It's splashes all around, if the plug leaks it would leak no matter what the fill amount was.
Im will the 99% and filling to the drain plug. And if what you say is true about only being able to extract 50%, then 50% + your 150ml + 225ml.
200 miles so far no here and no leaks.

Elhonaz 03-20-2017 11:23 AM

Correct amount of oil is 150ml. More than that theres is a "risk" that its going to spill out of the breather hole in the pulley bolt. Especially if you park it in a hill or something, its going to leak out.

equitiesguy 03-20-2017 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by kenneyd (Post 7089481)
Do what you want. Before i did this, i read all the replies in about 5 threads on this and all but one guy said, "fill to the plug hole".
There is no guidance or written fill amount from mercedes that anyone has been able to find other then the obvious... the drain/fill plug location! Why would they put it exactly at the 1/3 gear coverage just like every other gear oil level??? Just put it at the top if the reason was for leaks. Also, what do you think the fluid does when the gears are moving? It's splashes all around, if the plug leaks it would leak no matter what the fill amount was. Im will the 99% and filling to the drain plug.
so far no leaks.

I'm sure "one guy" on "one thread" is smarter than IHI and AMG O.C. After all, IHI is only the manufacturer, and they say normal is 153ml, and max is 155ml from completely dry.

When the gears are turning high speed, and heat up, the oil level naturally rises. It can't leak out of the drain plug if you've put teflon tape on it, or use the replacement sealing locking screw. It leaks out of the center bolt which isn't sealed, as the level rises up.

I'm sure you'll find out the hard way, but you're obviously smarter than I am so you can fix the mess when it occurs.

kenneyd 03-20-2017 12:19 PM

Two shipped out this morning, 1 left
Ken

kenneyd 03-20-2017 09:23 PM

All sold. Thanks guys.
Let me know if your have any issues with the shipping

Toadster 03-21-2017 11:47 AM

Makes a difference for sure - quieter operation = less heat

redc36 02-09-2018 08:01 AM

just a quick question. Is it safe to assume its about 200ml until the oil starts to drip from the fill hole? I was planning to fill until it starts to drip and then extract some of it so there is the exact 150ml left. Just wondering how much to extract once its fully filled.
also when reinstalling back the screw do I need to wrap it in teflon?

new55 02-09-2018 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by redc36 (Post 7377362)
just a quick question. Is it safe to assume its about 200ml until the oil starts to drip from the fill hole? I was planning to fill until it starts to drip and then extract some of it so there is the exact 150ml left. Just wondering how much to extract once its fully filled.
also when reinstalling back the screw do I need to wrap it in teflon?

i filled mine until it dripped out the hole and a little teflon on the plug,,, no issues / no leaks

my67AMG 06-16-2022 09:01 PM

Oil

Originally Posted by kenneyd (Post 7089014)
This past weekend I changed the fluid in my 59k mile e55's supercharger. Like most people, The fluid I extracted out was disgusting, black, stinky and dirty. I was able to pull out 140ml and although the common belief here is the refill is 150ml, I put in 190ml before it started to spill out.

Here is one how to : https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...refilling.html

I changed mine in a about 40 minutes, in car. I now plan on doing it every 30k miles or so now

I have 3 200ml kits for sale, fresh, genuine Mobil Jet II. $15 shipped to your door in the cont' 48.
PM me
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l...psndluxrps.jpg

any left can send u cash or WM M/O!!
THx bob
ll

my67AMG 06-16-2022 09:03 PM

Oil

Originally Posted by new55 (Post 7377390)
i filled mine until it dripped out the hole and a little teflon on the plug,,, no issues / no leaks

odd have my SC off on the table opened it up and not a drop came out!!