W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Killer Chiller installed but now AC won't work.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 08:25 PM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
2006 E55, 2006 SL55, 2006 LS7 Ute
Killer Chiller installed but now AC won't work.

Hooked everything up. After pressure testing and filling, the AC would not stay turned on with the light flashing slowly and then turning off. No pressure rise seen on the gasser. I did not turn on the AC at all after removing the gas and the drives to and from the AC repairer. The compressor seems to be engaging. Has the car electronics shut things down? Has anyone had this issue before? Cheers.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:41 AM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by trabots
Hooked everything up. After pressure testing and filling, the AC would not stay turned on with the light flashing slowly and then turning off. No pressure rise seen on the gasser. I did not turn on the AC at all after removing the gas and the drives to and from the AC repairer. The compressor seems to be engaging. Has the car electronics shut things down? Has anyone had this issue before? Cheers.
You installed the system and then drove to have the system filled with r134a?

Can you verify with SDS/Star that you have low pressure sensor enabled to shut off the compressor when it detects low refrigerant?

*I fried my compressor bc I drove my car to the shop 1.8 miles from my house and paid to have them fill it. I found out that my pressure sensor was not set to disable my AC compressor when I had low refrigerant. Hence I fried my AC pump and had to replace it for the 2nd time*

I am hoping this is not the case.

You may want to clean up your statement and make it a little cleaner for readers on what you did, how you refilled the system etc.

AC system is not too complex---> do repair/work, vacuum system, refill to spec (2.2lbs? I dont remember) then test system.

I am unsure if additional volume has to be added with a killer chiller, Hulk or others running the system could chime in possibly.

Are you referring to the blinking light on the ACC in the cabin?
Old 04-27-2017, 11:21 AM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55
I never did any of the install work on mine. Just a vote of confidence to hang in there.

I recognize you are not blaming the Killer Chiller. I had issues after my install and as it turned out it was NEVER a problem with the KC. It is always set-up related or A/C lines leaking, etc.

Once you get the install set-up right you will love it. Hang in there.

In the meantime do a google search on "mbworld E55 Killer Chiller Install" and you will find a lot of threads.

Good luck.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
I know on the sl55 my friend who had the kc also had the blinking ac light also and ended up being the cabin temp sensor. It would shut off the compressor when that happened

Check star and check codes
Old 04-27-2017, 09:50 PM

My air con installer found an error in the car's computer which prevented the compressor from engaging. He reset all and it now works fine. This error must have occurred when I disconnected the earths on the batteries before doing the install. Thanks for the assistance people. I will get back to the forum with my KC performance change.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:37 PM

My KC install is working but wonder if it is working at its best. After a 20 minute idle my tank water stabilized at 47 deg in 72 deg ambient. Joe Kincaid advised to use 30% antifreeze as the KC will get it under freezing.

I was getting consistent 1st run 4.0 sec 100-160kph with the H/E but then subsequent runs getting slower. With the KC, 3.8 sec repeatable but even with a Quaife installed, tires are now breaking loose probably affecting the time. Whether I let the ESP sort or ESP off the time is the same. I run in manual as if it kicks down into 2nd in sport it just lights them up with ESP off. I put it in 2nd and ease into the throttle to reduce the chance of the tires breaking loose. It now gets a bit sideways when it shifts to 3rd. My 11.8 sec @120 LS7 ute does this speed interval in 4.5sec so my 55 should be a low 11 sec car.

Seems like I should be happy however the fact that the IC coolant is not getting as cold as it should leaves me wondering. With the H/E, after a couple of runs my tank water was 95 deg. With the KC my tank water was at 70 deg. My system holds 2.4 US gallons which is probably too small for 1/4 mile or longer pulls but great for the few seconds of fun on the road. I am very pleased with the very fast recovery with the KC however.

Did your KC equipped 55's need a new tune after installation?
Attached Thumbnails Killer Chiller installed but now AC won't work.-100-160.jpg  
Old 04-28-2017, 08:27 PM

Just called Joe Kincaid, very helpful he is. All is good as far as temps for a KC without their Drag Kit which isolates the cabin evaporator to put 100% of the refrigerant through the KC. The drag kit is needed to get the IC water below freezing. I ordered one.

I have a 2nd KC which I was going to put on my lightly modified E55 but now think I will install it in series with the 1st KC. Joe advises that it works a treat on his Mustang dropping IAT from 170+ to 70 deg.
The following 2 users liked this post by trabots:
GatorMB (04-28-2017), rawdvm (04-30-2017)