Sponsored by:

Mobil1 0W40?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 09:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'08 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by MACEDON
It's the recommended, and before you ask Walmart oil is just as good.
wow... I have no earthly idea why you would assume that I would ask anything at all about a Walmart brand of anything related to these cars.

I was asking about the viscosity, that being 0W40. Period. Thanks anyway, tho..
Old 05-07-2017, 09:16 PM

'08 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Yuille36
Several years ago, I attended a AMG Tech session, that included representative from Mobil1. They discussed their oil in full detail with PowerPoint; how their oil is made, their various formulations, viscosity, operating temperatures, etc. Most people don't even know the three purposes of motor oil. Think about that for second or two. Do you know......Well if you don't, here it is. Oil lubricates, cools, and cleans your engine, that's it. So Mobil1 0W-40 is the best oil for your vehicle period, besides that is what Mercedes-AMG recommends. And that is what I will continue to use in my E63, and nothing else. In fact I use Mobil1 in my Audi as well.
Thanks, Yuille36, that's what I got the oil changed to before I left Houston on Friday, and I'll continue to use 0W40
Old 05-07-2017, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
Go back and re read my post and the reply from someone else.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:17 PM

'08 E63 AMG
Go back and re read my post and the reply from someone else.
Okay you're right, I just read it, my bad - cool thanks!
Old 05-07-2017, 09:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C250
Your overthinking it....don't be a newb, put the Mobil 1 in at the approved weight and forget about it. All the newbs always debate weights and brands, I have owned a ton of performance cars and always used Mobil and the weight prescribed per the engineers that made the car...not a bunch of nervous nellie boy racers on forums...and by the way I never take my car for any maintenance item I do it all myself...I would recommend you do the same. Mechanics dont care about your car...
Old 05-07-2017, 10:02 PM

'08 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by St.Christopher
Your overthinking it....don't be a newb, put the Mobil 1 in at the approved weight and forget about it. All the newbs always debate weights and brands, I have owned a ton of performance cars and always used Mobil and the weight prescribed per the engineers that made the car...not a bunch of nervous nellie boy racers on forums...and by the way I never take my car for any maintenance item I do it all myself...I would recommend you do the same. Mechanics dont care about your car...
I can't respond to this post the way I want to or I'd be banned for life. Let's just say that I'm far from being a newb, just moved up from an E55 to an E63 and the question was directly related to 0W40. Nothing more, nothing less. I've been driving these cars since 1996. Keep your newb and nellie boy racer talk for a bonafide newb or we can meet up somewhere, at a place of your choosing and discuss it like... gentlemen.

The choice is yours, my friend.

As far as I'm concerned, when I answered the question thanking a sensible poster, I was done with it. You wanna take it somewhere else, I'm down for that too. Your call.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:28 PM

C250
Originally Posted by benzokirk
I can't respond to this post the way I want to or I'd be banned for life. Let's just say that I'm far from being a newb, just moved up from an E55 to an E63 and the question was directly related to 0W40. Nothing more, nothing less. I've been driving these cars since 1996. Keep your newb and nellie boy racer talk for a bonafide newb or we can meet up somewhere, at a place of your choosing and discuss it like... gentlemen.

The choice is yours, my friend.

As far as I'm concerned, when I answered the question thanking a sensible poster, I was done with it. You wanna take it somewhere else, I'm down for that too. Your call.
Oh boy we got a post gangsta....meet up? What are you 12...
"Your overthinking it....don't be a newb," This is what I said Mr. Sensitive, I said dont be a newb not that you are a newb.... You even said that you were overthinking it in your first post.... But honestly its a newb question...and driving these cars does not mean anything, have you been doing all the maintenance on your car since 1996? because this is my wifes car and I already new that the weight is used across the Mercedes Benz line up...but if you want to meet a cop in dark alley we could do that...some day....

Last edited by St.Christopher; 05-07-2017 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:45 PM

'08 E63 AMG
Oh boy we got a post gangsta....meet up? What are you 12...
"Your overthinking it....don't be a newb," This is what I said Mr. Sensitive, I said dont be a newb not that you are a newb.... You even said that you were overthinking it in your first post.... But honestly its a newb question...and driving these cars does not mean anything, have you been doing all the maintenance on your car since 1996? because this is my wifes car and I already new that the weight is used across the Mercedes Benz line up...but if you want to meet a cop in dark alley we could do that...some day....
Look son... you're a Junior Member who has 29 posts, and drive a C250. You're the newb. Yes, I was born in NY and live in Chicago. If that makes me a "gansta" in your book, so be it. If I'm a newb in your book, so be it. If more than 300 posts on the W210 E55 thread makes me a newb, it actually makes you look like a fool. Knowing something on this forum that another member doesn't know doesn't give you the right to call them anything other than their username. It was disrespectful, at best.

This is my second attempt to end this thread. If you want to continue this conversation, you're gonna find yourself alone. Please. Take your insults to the C250 Threads. Think about it... when you grow up and finally get to drive an AMG you'll be the newb. Oh yes, I have been doing all the maintenance on my cars since I was 16.

You name the place and time, son, and you'll be promptly taught some manners and respect. Otherwise, sit down and shut up.

Last edited by benzokirk; 05-07-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:43 PM

C250
1. This is my wifes car not mine.
2. I called you a gangsta not because of your location but because you immediately started being a "internet gansta" threatening me with violence. Which is considered juvenile and ridiculous.
3. 300 posts is nothing to be proud of in 7 years? I own a Corvette Zr1 ( which by the way will outperform you E any day...son) and have 5000 posts + on that forum in 6 years. Also I have done 10 DIY HOW TO's on that forum. In fact I have already done a DIY on this forum. Something you will never do...
4.I am a police officer and do not take kindly to people trying to meet with people and threatening acts of violence online or in person for that matter.
5.I have reported you to the forum because of your threats of violence and juvenile attempts to meet with an officer of the law over a forum thread comments..... Not very intelligent...
6.If you are sensitive and cannot handle all kinds of comments on your threads I would suggest not posting and simply doing a search on this forum on a search engine or referring to your owners manual which you can download online.

Last edited by St.Christopher; 05-07-2017 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:29 AM

'08 E63 AMG
1. This is my wifes car not mine.
2. I called you a gangsta not because of your location but because you immediately started being a "internet gansta" threatening me with violence. Which is considered juvenile and ridiculous.
3. 300 posts is nothing to be proud of in 7 years? I own a Corvette Zr1 ( which by the way will outperform you E any day...son) and have 5000 posts + on that forum in 6 years. Also I have done 10 DIY HOW TO's on that forum. In fact I have already done a DIY on this forum. Something you will never do...
4.I am a police officer and do not take kindly to people trying to meet with people and threatening acts of violence online or in person for that matter.
5.I have reported you to the forum because of your threats of violence and juvenile attempts to meet with an officer of the law over a forum thread comments..... Not very intelligent...
6.If you are sensitive and cannot handle all kinds of comments on your threads I would suggest not posting and simply doing a search on this forum on a search engine or referring to your owners manual which you can download online.
I won't number my responses, but here it is. I can honestly believe that you represent law enforcement by the way you approached my post. It was rude and disrespectful. Claiming you own a Zr1 and hanging out on an AMG forum, while claiming the car you have posted as what you drive is actually your wife car is laughable, at best.

None of that really matters because it's totally unrelated to how you approached me. There were no threats of violence against you, no matter how many times you copy and paste them, not one word was a threat of violence. I enjoy a rather spirited conversation, face to face, and as I said "if you" want to take it beyond this thread I'm fine with that too. Does your response mean that everyone you meet to discuss a disagreement ends in violence? That's interesting, but again, makes it totally believable that you are law enforcement given what has happened the last few years. Although I don't believe it.

I asked the question on this forum because, until today, I've always been answered in a respectful manner. You chose to respond differently, totally unprovoked, and received a likewise response. This is the first time since I've been on this forum that I've been responded to that way, and I will retort in the same manner if it occurs again. If that gets me banned, I can accept that. What I won't accept is someone claiming to be a law enforcement officer calling me anything other than what I post as my name here. Maybe others have let you get away with your cyber bullying behavior, but you'll get the same response from me in every instance. Call it immature and unintelligent if you may.

That's also you prerogative. This is my 3rd attempt to end this conversation. Your responses will be met with an equal response until you give up and move on.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
What if at the end of the day Walmart brand oil turns out to be actually best for these cars... You guys would be so pissed
Old 05-08-2017, 12:45 AM

'08 E63 AMG
What if at the end of the day Walmart brand oil turns out to be actually best for these cars... You guys would be so pissed
Haha! Yes, MACEDON... I believe you have a point. Sheesh...
Old 05-08-2017, 08:46 AM

C250
Since your so concerned about the oil, you may want to be concerned about the transmission fluid also. You need to have that changed every 4 years(depending on the miles on it sooner)..so the previous owner should have changed it already twice since 2008 but my guess is he probably never did. Make sure you have the dealer drain the torque converter because most dealerships try to scam out of it and do only a partial change leaving you with old fluid in your transmission. A complete drain of the torque converter is part of the WIS now. Since its a AMG a differential fluid change would be a good idea too.

Last edited by St.Christopher; 05-08-2017 at 08:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
benzokirk (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 08:46 AM

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts
E63 AMG 2007
Well this is entertaining to a point, but maybe you should meet for a beer and have a laugh. Certainly no need for a testosterone scan for either of you.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Since your so concerned about the oil, you may want to be concerned about the transmission fluid also. You need to have that changed every 4 years(depending on the miles on it sooner)..so the previous owner should have changed it already twice since 2008 but my guess is he probably never did. Make sure you have the dealer drain the torque converter because most dealerships try to scam out of it and do only a partial change leaving you with old fluid in your transmission. A complete drain of the torque converter is part of the WIS now. Since its a AMG a differential fluid change would be a good idea too.

Okay so which fluid for the tranny?

Is maxlife still okay?

LET THE BATTLE BEGIN
Old 05-08-2017, 02:13 PM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by oneslow55
Mobil was used only because Benz got a contract on the oil for a cheap deal
I run Castrol and don't have to add a quart between 3500mile oil changes... that means something to me

Amsoil/Royal Purply > Penzoil/Castrol > Mobile 1 0w40 IMHO after research

They definitely changed the formulation.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

New M1 0w-40

"Dated February, 2016. Of note, still no LL-01 approval. Looks quite different from the outgoing 0w-40:

Approvals:
- API SN, ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
- MB 229.3, 229.5, VW 502 00/505 00, Porsche A40

Specs:
@ 40ºC .................................................. .....................70.8
@ 100ºC............................................. .........................12.9
Viscosity Index............................................. .................186
MRV at -40ºC, cP (ASTM D4684) .........................................21600
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC, (ASTM D4683).......................3.6
Total Base Number (ASTM D2896).......................................12.6
Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874)..........................................1.3 4
Phosphorous, wt% (ASTM D4981).........................................0.1
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92).............................................. .226
Density @15ºC, g/ml (ASTM D4052).....................................0.8456

Versus the old M1 0w-40:

Approvals:
- MB 229.3, 229.5, LL-01, VW 502 00/505 00, Porsche A40, Nissan GT-R

Specs:
@ 40ºC .................................................. .....................75
@ 100ºC............................................. .........................13.5
Viscosity Index............................................. .................185
MRV at -40ºC, cP (ASTM D4684) .........................................31000
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC, (ASTM D4683).......................3.8
Total Base Number (ASTM D2896).......................................11.8
Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874)..........................................1.3
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92).............................................. .230
Density @15ºC, g/ml (ASTM D4052).....................................0.85

Looks like the new product is a fair bit lighter with a significant reduction in MRV viscosity."

Last edited by BoostedAero; 05-08-2017 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Dead link whoops
Old 05-08-2017, 11:06 PM

'08 E63 AMG
Hey man... before I respond to this post, let me be the first to apologize for being an @$$ hat yesterday. No excuses, I just didn't have to respond to anything you said like that.

Now that I got that out of the way, great info- THANKS!
Old 05-08-2017, 11:08 PM

'08 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Dublinoh
Well this is entertaining to a point, but maybe you should meet for a beer and have a laugh. Certainly no need for a testosterone scan for either of you.
Now that's always worth meeting for
Old 05-09-2017, 04:29 PM

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
Hmmm......I use M1 0w-40 and sent a sample with 4,800 miles (quite a bit longer than I typically go - personal preference, nothing more) to Blackstone and report back said "Very nice. No contaminations to note at all and metals look great compared to universal averages". The previous owner did the same and sent oil in with 9,700 miles on it (I never go that long) and Blackstone said "oils shows typical wear for the M156 after about 5,600 miles of use, so you went longer and still had less metal, so if you'd like to add 2,000 miles to this fill, your engine and oil are up to the task".

I didn't ask them their opinion of Mobil 1, just following up with what the previous owner did to see if I would get anything different. It seems that everyone has an oil preference. If it meets manufacturer engineering spec, you'll be good. I suspect the rest is personal preference based on word of mouth, group mentality or personal experiences breaking down engines and/or components, observing and liking what they see. Not many people have the real world experience of actually testing oils in a lab, side by side, in controlled environments on the same hardware with analytical equipment. MB charts offer plenty of choices they deem up to the task.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:52 PM

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
E55 amg
Originally Posted by BoostedAero
I run Castrol and don't have to add a quart between 3500mile oil changes... that means something to me

Amsoil/Royal Purply > Penzoil/Castrol > Mobile 1 0w40 IMHO after research

They definitely changed the formulation.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

New M1 0w-40

"Dated February, 2016. Of note, still no LL-01 approval. Looks quite different from the outgoing 0w-40:

Approvals:
- MB 229.3, 229.5, VW 502 00/505 00, Porsche A40

Specs:
@ 40ºC .................................................. .....................70.8
@ 100ºC............................................. .........................12.9
Viscosity Index............................................. .................186
MRV at -40ºC, cP (ASTM D4684) .........................................21600
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC, (ASTM D4683).......................3.6
Total Base Number (ASTM D2896).......................................12.6
Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874)..........................................1.3 4
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92).............................................. .226
Density @15ºC, g/ml (ASTM D4052).....................................0.8456

Versus the old M1 0w-40:

Approvals:
- MB 229.3, 229.5, LL-01, VW 502 00/505 00, Porsche A40, Nissan GT-R

Specs:
@ 40ºC .................................................. .....................75
@ 100ºC............................................. .........................13.5
Viscosity Index............................................. .................185
MRV at -40ºC, cP (ASTM D4684) .........................................31000
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC, (ASTM D4683).......................3.8
Total Base Number (ASTM D2896).......................................11.8
Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874)..........................................1.3
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92).............................................. .230
Density @15ºC, g/ml (ASTM D4052).....................................0.85

Looks like the new product is a fair bit lighter with a significant reduction in MRV viscosity."
No need to tell me it convince me ,Mobil 1 is not what it use to be
Old 05-09-2017, 05:16 PM

'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
Sorry. Wasn't aware that whether M1 0w-40 is the same formula it used to be was the issue. For the OP, it is still one of the oils recommended by MB for the 2008 E63, among other oils. There are plenty of threads on which oil is best. I understand there are subjectively "better" oils out there, but if one changes the lubricants per manufacturer recommendations, I doubt that the new M1 formula will deteriorate to the point of causing engine cratering in and of itself, heavy duty or track use notwithstanding. M1 is not the "best" oil out there, and it's not the worst. It is more than sufficient for the manufacturer's recommended use of the vehicle.

Oil brand preference is like saying the E63 is "better" than the E55. There are all kinds of ways it is and isn't.
The following users liked this post:
benzokirk (05-11-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 514 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Well stated!!!!
Old 05-09-2017, 06:33 PM

E55 amg
Stock form stock power ,stick to with Mobil your fine
Old 05-09-2017, 06:36 PM

'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
What have you done to your '55 beyond stock that requires better oil than M1?
Old 05-09-2017, 07:34 PM

E55 amg
Originally Posted by Skizz
What have you done to your '55 beyond stock that requires better oil than M1?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mobil1 0W40?