MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   In-line Fuel Filter (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/666398-line-fuel-filter.html)

veryswag 05-14-2017 01:50 PM

In-line Fuel Filter

those of you running an in-line filter, which filter are you guys using and where do you have it installed?

Previous owner had installed a pos $10 autozone filter and mounted it directly next to the rear driver side jackpoint :confused: definitely not the right filter to use or a good place to put it
the filter is connected to a 3/8 fuel line going to the top of the sending unit and taps into the factory metal fuel line on the bottom of the car

bbirdwell 05-14-2017 04:22 PM

Good grief! The previous owner couldn't afford to purchase the real fuel filter so instead took a short cut? I'd hate to think what the pumps and relay look like.

I recommend you bite the bullet, go into it, and replace everything with stock. Plenty of posts on it and I've learned far too much about the pump/filter/relay setup on an E55....

If you insist on an inline fuel filter, best of luck to you. I remember seeing some older posts that referred to the fuel filter closer to the engine tucked away in the engine bay...you're going to need to research on some high-flow filters using AN connectors if you are going to do it right.

Hulk 05-14-2017 04:34 PM

Yup correct.

I would be worried about what else the previous owner did. Buyer beware these days

veryswag 05-14-2017 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by bbirdwell (Post 7147621)
Good grief! The previous owner couldn't afford to purchase the real fuel filter so instead took a short cut? I'd hate to think what the pumps and relay look like.

I recommend you bite the bullet, go into it, and replace everything with stock. Plenty of posts on it and I've learned far too much about the pump/filter/relay setup on an E55....

If you insist on an inline fuel filter, best of luck to you. I remember seeing some older posts that referred to the fuel filter closer to the engine tucked away in the engine bay...you're going to need to research on some high-flow filters using AN connectors if you are going to do it right.

plan is to swap in a high flow 10 micron inline.. car only has 72k miles on it and previous owner opened up the sender (half of the tabs on sender cap are broken off) and im not sure if stock filters are still in place.. may have had the fuel leak issue before recall was issued and did his own fix .
read old threads on this and people put in inline filters to be more easily serviceable

MACEDON 05-16-2017 11:38 AM

Would you not be qualified for free work and parts for the recall if it was never performed?

veryswag 05-16-2017 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by MACEDON (Post 7149886)
Would you not be qualified for free work and parts for the recall if it was never performed?

thats what im wondering.. because the factory lines under tank are cut and filter connected with 3/8th lines and fuel sender was also opened (tabs on locking ring are broken). if they look under the hood, line going to fuel rail is also not stock.
i asked at the dealership about the recall, and was told fuel leak issue needs to be present in order to qualify for recall ..no leak= no free work & parts

MACEDON 05-17-2017 02:09 PM

Hmmm... I thought recalls worked differently, if there's a recall you get your **** fixed no matter what....

Rocman8 05-17-2017 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by MACEDON (Post 7151338)
Hmmm... I thought recalls worked differently, if there's a recall you get your **** fixed no matter what....

it's not a recall. It's a warranty extension.

Redwood415 05-17-2017 03:10 PM

What's wrong with the original filter bag on the pump assembly? I wouldn't do anything to potentially restrict fuel flow even if only minimally. You will still need to change the OEM filter once in loads up. And they DO load up, to the point of killing the pump.

my 2 cents

Hulk 05-17-2017 05:13 PM

Looks like the previous owner was some sort of mcgyver
I would really have the whole car checked over and do a compression test/leak down while you are at it

veryswag 05-17-2017 06:23 PM

no doubt about it , previous owner was a macgyver wannabe for sure..ive made some interesting discoveries as i've gone through the car.

the engine feels solid and ive had on a lift a few times already. its definitely making power, its faster than my old modded e55 ..that car was mint ..literally never had a single issue with it besides the fuel leak recall and the car was a beast

i ordered an XRP high flow inline fitler w/ replaceable 10 micron stainless steel filter
im thinking about getting a zt-2 wideband to monitor AFRs..maybe i can add in a fuel pressure sensor while im at it
in the meantime, i can use a gauge to test pressure right after XRP filter & also at the rail to make sure i'm not losing pressure.
think it should be around 80 psi at idle

as for original OEM filter in the sender unit...the sender was definitely opened up by the previous owner ..half the tabs are broken off.. maybe he removed the filter all together and opted for the cheap inline instead of buying a whole new sender assembly for $500 .