MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   My head unit DIY with stock speakers amp and retaining fibre optics (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/666927-my-head-unit-diy-stock-speakers-amp-retaining-fibre-optics.html)

drothgeb 05-16-2019 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by mbmg (Post 7756457)
If you do run the extension to the trunk and even remotely think about wanting to run an aftermarket amp in the future, I'd also run 6 channel rca wires and a 18g wire (blue) for the amp turn on signal which you could also use to turn the antenna amp on with. This would allow you to only turn on the antenna amp when the HU is turned on vs always on when the car is on. I'm glad I ran all of the wires I did at the same time I had the driver's side interior apart.

Thanks. To be honest, I probably wont. I hardly ever listed to the radio any ways, and I don't feel like trying to run the wire lol. I ran one overhead for my rear view dash cam. ****ing pain in the ass.

JeffAdams 07-09-2019 05:21 PM

Radio antenna

Originally Posted by tw2 (Post 7281151)
You will need to run a cable from the amp in the trunk for radio. The Japanese head unit seems very different from other markets, I have no idea how you could make them work. There are 4x as many plugs as US models.

Hi, did you manage to connect the radio antenna to an aftermarket radio , japan version e55.
As above you mention running a cable from the amp in the trunk, do you mean a coax or power signal and any idea on the location?
Any help is most appreciated
Thanks
Jeff

tw2 07-09-2019 08:30 PM

I didn't bother hooking it up in the end but the audio shop ran one just in case. It needs to go from the head unit to the amp in the boot. The radio antenna plugs into the amp. You unplug it from the amp, get an adapter (I think) and run a radio signal wire (not power) to the back of the head unit. I think the amp is on the left side behind the carpet in the boot but I haven't actually seen it in person, it is now sitting on my shelf.

Yuille36 07-10-2019 04:03 PM

I just had my stereo system upgraded in my 07 E63, with new speakers, a Audison digital sound processor with controller and Alpine amps with a enclosed subwoofer.
And I can say it sounds great, on par with my 15 BMW X5, with a much newer and updated Harmon Kardon system. I use to envy the BMW for it's better sound system, but no more.

happyeds 10-15-2019 06:58 AM

Thanks for for all in info. You are one brave guy.

Yuille36 10-15-2019 09:22 AM

The one thing that I've learned, is that the bass has to be adjusted for the various signal inputs, i.e. CD/Sirius XM/ Live Radio, iPod.
Depending of the input, the bass is either thumping (Boom Boom), or is weak. Depending of what, I have to adjust the DSP accordingly.

nova_e55 10-15-2019 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Yuille36 (Post 7799677)
I just had my stereo system upgraded in my 07 E63, with new speakers, a Audison digital sound processor with controller and Alpine amps with a enclosed subwoofer.
And I can say it sounds great, on par with my 15 BMW X5, with a much newer and updated Harmon Kardon system. I use to envy the BMW for it's better sound system, but no more.

Did you rewire the car for the stereo or use one of the fiber adapters? I'm currently using a newer HU with the stock system and adapter and I'm a bit underwhelmed. Granted my other vehicle, my jeep, has all focal speakers and a JL 10" sub and it sounds pristine so I'm a bit spoiled with it. So I'm curious if I should try to just replace the speakers first, the ones I can anyways (silly center speaker size), and then hopefully get to good enough.

Yuille36 10-15-2019 09:45 AM

I also replaced all the stock speakers with Focal speakers. The shop used the fiber adapters, but like a said the bass inputs is either louder or weaker depending upon the input.
And I also use a 10" JL Audio Sub with enclosure, this thing is awesome. I'm very happy how that system sounds.

pineywoods 11-13-2019 12:46 PM

There is a more expensive alternative to the $99 AVIN MOST interface. It is Axxess AX-MC90132 and it is $299:
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...X-MC90132.html

I am just wondering if it is worth paying $200 more for better quality. The guys at Crutchfield (I live close to one of their two physical stores) said that the Axxess is also finicky and they refused to install it on my car; instead they suggested bypassing the car amp and using the built-in amp of the new aftermarket radio (22W for a double-din JVC or Kenwood or Sony). The catch is that they will charge me $350 labor to do that.

BestBuy proposed the Axxess route. But they are charging $399 for the Axxess.

Any thoughts?

nova_e55 11-13-2019 01:07 PM

Having the AVIN MOST, I can say it's also finicky. About every 10% of the time I start the car it doesn't power up and I have to cycle the radio (shut it off, open door) to get it to come back on. I wouldn't care about this, except my car is now louder than I planned and my wife and kids are probably like, "WTF are you making all that noise twice at 430 a.m for?" I should probably drive down the road and then reset it if it doesn't start to be honest.

Eventually I might bypass the amp and add in a different amp with some sound processing capability. I only say this because I got spoiled when I installed higher end stuff in my Jeep. But for now, the AVIN is easy enough to live with and the quality with the stock speakers is good enough for casual listening.

Ari_Sväng 04-10-2020 06:56 AM

I solved my problems and here are some explanation and pictures:

After replacing my Japan market head unit (with Harman Kardon) to the android head unit (Silverstrong), I had problem with original antenna. I assumed that the problem is that the antenna amplifier doesn't get "wake up" signal from the new HU, but I didn't know how to get it to the amplifier via wires behind the HU. After some research I found that the wake up signal to the amplifier goes from the HK amplifier (picture 1).

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...3593db2fe.jpeg
Picture 1

After I bring new wire from the HU to that picture 1 connector, the antenna amplifier power up.

But... That wasn't all, because earlier I connected the HU antenna connector to the car's antenna cable behind the head unit with some kind of "amplifier" or signal converter which come with the HU (picture 2). Some unknown reason that didn't work. Luckily the new HU come with a long antenna cable, so I just connected it to HU and start test connecting it everywhere hoping the best.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...63f2f9538b.jpg
Picture 2. Antenna signal converter or something

I found an antenna connector next to the left side of the rear seat, under the cover panel (picture 3). I connected the antenna cable from the HU to it and BINGO! I had now a good radio signal with the car's OEM antenna amplifier. That was only place where I try to connect it so there could be some other place too, for example in the trunk. There is some kind of antenna "box" near HK amplifier with three antenna cables
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...afc481226.jpeg
Picture 3. Antenna cable next to the rear seat

Another problem I had with the AVIN MOST signal converter. Like someone said before, it sucks. I bought 6m long antenna cable with the HU, so I installed it and now the sound is lot better and without any interference. Now I have to buy an amplifier and some RC cables so I get the HK subwoofer to work. Here is schema for HK speakers. (picture 4).

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...49405aef36.png
Picture 4. Schema for HK speakers

I hope this help someone like this thread help me.

IIGW 10-23-2023 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by tw2 (Post 7676019)
Thanks, your welcome. No further updates, just my last post above at the moment..

hey there, kiwi isnt it?
im in phx, across the pond..

Do you still own the car? Anything new or any updates?

I'm getting ready myself to update the audio. New head unit, amp with a small box in the trunk, or boot I think you call it over there.
Hope all has been well

-cheers!

tw2 10-23-2023 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by IIGW (Post 8865762)
hey there, kiwi isnt it?
im in phx, across the pond..

Do you still own the car? Anything new or any updates?

I'm getting ready myself to update the audio. New head unit, amp with a small box in the trunk, or boot I think you call it over there.
Hope all has been well

-cheers!

Yep still have the car, yes NZ, nothing new, I haven't done anything but occasional maintenance for the last few years. At 70,000km now (43k miles). No changes to the audio, still recommend a normal AMP to replace the fibre optic part of the audio system. Otherwise next year sometime I guess I should stop being lazy and replace the spark plugs, the remains of the front suspension arms I didn't do this year and much later on I might look for some wider wheels and tires, maybe LSD.