W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost for new/rebuilt installed transmission?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 09:29 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
CLS55
Cost for new/rebuilt installed transmission?

All,

Have a buddy with an 06 E55 that lives quite the distance away (else I'd just help him swap it out) who believes his tranny is done for and is now debating on selling it as or getting it fixed first (guessing about 95k miles on it with headers, pulley and tune).

What do you all think should be cost to replace (pulled, rebuilt and reinstalled)? He lives in N Carolina and his indie seems to agree it needs replaced. I plan to suggest he look at some other shops but as he already bought a new car would like to get the baseline idea of overall swap costs.

Anyone been though this? I'd appreciate any insight.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by testknight
All,

Have a buddy with an 06 E55 that lives quite the distance away (else I'd just help him swap it out) who believes his tranny is done for and is now debating on selling it as or getting it fixed first (guessing about 95k miles on it with headers, pulley and tune).

What do you all think should be cost to replace (pulled, rebuilt and reinstalled)? He lives in N Carolina and his indie seems to agree it needs replaced. I plan to suggest he look at some other shops but as he already bought a new car would like to get the baseline idea of overall swap costs.

My indy replaced mine with a new one for 5k.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:49 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Mine was rebuilt at the dealer for about 3.5k.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:04 AM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by testknight
All,

Where is he in NC?

For what its worth Level10 does an upgraded set up for around $5500 installed, a higherstall Tq Converter, Modified valve body and a trans warrantied up to 1000hp/1200wtq

If I wasnt such a hardcore DIY guy I may have considered going that route
Old 07-13-2017, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 290 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Means much more when you do it yourself Will. Plus you are learning a lot and can claim "I did it" not someone else.
The following users liked this post:
BoostedAero (07-17-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Originally Posted by SICAMG
Means much more when you do it yourself Will. Plus you are learning a lot and can claim "I did it" not someone else.
If I'm buying a car from someone and it has a rebuilt transmission, I won't be buying it from someone that did it themselves. There are exceptions, but that's a general rule for me. I'm sure plenty of other people feel the same way.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 290 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Testknight
Have your buddy make sure it really needs a "complete" transmission. Many times the conductor plate will do some really strange things,especially when the speed sensors are giving false feed back to the TCU. But if the fluid has that clutch odor ....than its hurt internally.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:14 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by SICAMG
Testknight
Have your buddy make sure it really needs a "complete" transmission. Many times the conductor plate will do some really strange things,especially when the speed sensors are giving false feed back to the TCU. But if the fluid has that clutch odor ....than its hurt internally.
+1 I did this first but unfortunately wasn't my issue. A scan with STAR revealed the real problem.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:51 AM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by Strigoi
If I'm buying a car from someone and it has a rebuilt transmission, I won't be buying it from someone that did it themselves. There are exceptions, but that's a general rule for me. I'm sure plenty of other people feel the same way.
I am a single dad who is pretty frugal and love learning new stuff, I love taking my time and I am rather OCD. I am happy to have the support of this forum and it's members offering great advice. Without that I would have to figure it out on my own. I plan on keeping this car for a pretty long time so I don't really care about selling. It's a project I bought for $5k and put a $450 used high mileage mile trans in the car and got 18k miles out of it at the moment. I have fixed a bunch of stuff on it and there will always be more things that need attention / perfecting. That's why I got it, it's a toy and a hobby of mine. A coworker of mine I was lucky enough to have him look over the manual and all my carefully documented work thus far as he disclosed he has rebuild a bunch of autos and I am doing it perfectly and replacing "too many parts with new stuff". I just want it super solid and as tight of spec as possible. It's not hard, just tedious and meticulously organized work. I am super excited to have it finished and installed soon.

In my opinion, when someone enjoys cars so much, you really get to know them and love them more by doing the work yourself. It is so much more rewarding as well. When you say, " I saved X number of dollars by doing it myself"