Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E55 Transmission Slip

Old 08-18-2017, 06:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
E55 Transmission Slip

Hey guys,

I've had my E55 (2004) for a couple weeks now, and I LOVE it! What an awesome car. This will be my daily for the foreseeable future, so reliability is my #1 concern.

In the past week, I've had a weird issue come up. When accelerating, there is a drop of power and an audible squeak coming from the trans for about 1/4 of a second. This only happens in 2nd gear, and happens when more than 25% throttle is applied. Otherwise, the trans is fine.

Can this be remedied with a conductor plate change and/or fluid change? Or is it a bigger issue? Has anyone had this come up on their 722.6?

Thanks!

~Tom
Old 08-18-2017, 07:38 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
I haven't had this problem come up but certainly dealt with a few issues including needing a full transmission rebuild. How many miles do you have? Any trans service records?

I would check/change the fluid, filter and pilot bush for a start. If you want to know the exact health of your transmission you need to plug into STAR and run a diagnostic. It can tell you the exact time or number of cycles required to complete each task involved in performing a gear shift and can determine the wear of each of the clutches.

Usually you get specific codes pointing to a conductor plate failure but it can certainly be responsible for some strange things. From someone who has changed a conductor plate in the hope it would fix the issue, I would definitely get a scan before doing that again.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 924 Likes on 717 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Scan it before you do anything...
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...rmination.html
Old 08-20-2017, 09:50 AM

2004 E55 AMG
Thanks for the information guys. This is really concerning me now... Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a trans rebuild, but it's kind of sounding like that.

Any idea how much MB would charge for a rebuild if one of the clutch packs were dead?
Old 08-20-2017, 10:44 AM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
04 e55
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
when you scan for the actuation stats does the car need to be running or just to the "on" position ? thx
Old 08-20-2017, 02:59 PM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
W210 DRFT BNZ
Originally Posted by hayseed
when you scan for the actuation stats does the car need to be running or just to the "on" position ? thx
No need to run anything, just have the key in position II. I being ACC.
The following users liked this post:
hayseed (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 03:46 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by tompoeschel
Thanks for the information guys. This is really concerning me now... Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a trans rebuild, but it's kind of sounding like that.

Any idea how much MB would charge for a rebuild if one of the clutch packs were dead?
I wouldn't worry until you getv a scan. Even fluid replacement can fix some problems. My rebuild would have been US$4000 after currency conversion. Probably cheaper over there (Assuming you are in the US) and there are some good independent Mercedes transmission rebuilders too.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
You sure it's not your supercharger clutch?

Take off the pulleym take off a shim, see if it's the same. Because a squeak + drop in power in second gear at quarter throttle sure do sounds like the exact same time when the SC engages.

Last edited by MACEDON; 08-22-2017 at 01:15 PM.
tompoeschel (08-23-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 01:18 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
1956 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday, 2006 AMG S55, 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE
Originally Posted by tompoeschel

You can get a great rebuilt stronger tranny for around 2k
Old 08-22-2017, 05:03 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
2004 E55, Triumph Speed Triple
Originally Posted by MACEDON

Take off the pulleym take off a shim, see if it's the same. Because a squeak + drop in power in second gear at quarter throttle sure do sounds like the exact same time when the SC engages.
I vote SC engagement too. You should start be replacing the SC belt, it's cheap and easy to do, then if you still aren't happy get a belt wrap kit.
tompoeschel (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 03:53 PM

2004 E55 AMG

THIS... I inspected the SC belt and found a slight discoloration to a part of it. Time for a new belt! I have a feeling this is the cause since the slip has become more prominent in the past week, and it's no longer happening in a specific gear and specific RPM. I'll also take apart the pulley and see what comes up.

Thank you for your help, guys!
Old 08-25-2017, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
It's the actual spacing from the clutch to the magnet plate

Over time they get worn down. Mine squeaked really bad and sometimes it would engage so harshly that it felt like the car was being hit with a hammer.

Here's how you do it:
Use big clamps to stop the magnet from spinning, home depot or tractor supply (look at youtube video on how to remove the pulley)
Remove the pulley with a 24mm wrench (can't use a socket)
Pull the pulley off
There will be 3 shims, remove one shim, replace the shims
Put everything back together, can't torque the sc pulley bolt bc you can't fit a torque wrench unless you remove the fan
try your car

Realistically you're supposed to use feeled gauges and make sure you're between .3 and .4mm spacing but removing shim by shim is the way you're gonna be fixing it so measuring really is for reference.

Chances are your tranny is completely fine. These are weird transmissions but they are very durable if treated right. Eliminate the mounts and the supercharger and it will make more sense. Then, do the tranny fluid but make sur eyou do it RIGHT. Huge one here, fluid level is a must to get correct.

New belt too and you should see an improvement.

If the slip is still bad you can remove another shim and try.

Next step would be to just get a new pulley.

Also, service your mounts and tranny mount. This is a big one. If you can manage, get poly engine mounts, they help tighten up the car at the cost of a bit of vibration in the cabin. If you are ok with stock mounts then keep doing that.

Last edited by MACEDON; 08-25-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:34 AM

It's the actual spacing from the clutch to the magnet plate

Over time they get worn down. Mine squeaked really bad and sometimes it would engage so harshly that it felt like the car was being hit with a hammer.

Here's how you do it:
Use big clamps to stop the magnet from spinning, home depot or tractor supply (look at youtube video on how to remove the pulley)
Remove the pulley with a 24mm wrench (can't use a socket)
Pull the pulley off
There will be 3 shims, remove one shim, replace the shims
Put everything back together, can't torque the sc pulley bolt bc you can't fit a torque wrench unless you remove the fan
try your car

Realistically you're supposed to use feeled gauges and make sure you're between .3 and .4mm spacing but removing shim by shim is the way you're gonna be fixing it so measuring really is for reference.

Chances are your tranny is completely fine. These are weird transmissions but they are very durable if treated right. Eliminate the mounts and the supercharger and it will make more sense. Then, do the tranny fluid but make sur eyou do it RIGHT. Huge one here, fluid level is a must to get correct.

New belt too and you should see an improvement.

If the slip is still bad you can remove another shim and try.

Next step would be to just get a new pulley.

Also, service your mounts and tranny mount. This is a big one. If you can manage, get poly engine mounts, they help tighten up the car at the cost of a bit of vibration in the cabin. If you are ok with stock mounts then keep doing that.
2 things, so my car jerks on S/C engagement and chirps. Is it easy to take the shims out? Also, I know you got your poly mounts from eurocharged, how much were they? I don't see them on their site, and google has been fruitless to find any.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Taking shims out is as easy as putting clamps on the black part, using a big wrench to get the bolt off, and pulling the pulley off the shaft. There will be 3 shims. Take one off and see how it feels, put the others back on.

Save your other one just in case.

This dude made a video about it, very helpful.

My poly mounts were made by David Lehman w/ EC, you can join the AMG Enthusiasts group on facebook and ask around if anyone else is making them, or for help if you want to make your own. Call EC and ask them, maybe they'll be able to help you out.

I paid $220 for mine shipped. I think a lot of people want some of those mounts and will pay for them, so hey if you wanna make a bunch they'll sell like hotcakes.

Like I said you CAN make your own too. PM Seanol, he is thinking about doing some, he knows all about it.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:15 PM

Taking shims out is as easy as putting clamps on the black part, using a big wrench to get the bolt off, and pulling the pulley off the shaft. There will be 3 shims. Take one off and see how it feels, put the others back on.

Save your other one just in case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0f7pNA_tNI

This dude made a video about it, very helpful.

My poly mounts were made by David Lehman w/ EC, you can join the AMG Enthusiasts group on facebook and ask around if anyone else is making them, or for help if you want to make your own. Call EC and ask them, maybe they'll be able to help you out.

I paid $220 for mine shipped. I think a lot of people want some of those mounts and will pay for them, so hey if you wanna make a bunch they'll sell like hotcakes.

Like I said you CAN make your own too. PM Seanol, he is thinking about doing some, he knows all about it.
Cool, thanks for the info. I'm a strong proponent of DIY, so I may just make my own. You wouldn't happen to have pictures of yours before install, would you?
Old 08-28-2017, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by skylinrcr01
Cool, thanks for the info. I'm a strong proponent of DIY, so I may just make my own. You wouldn't happen to have pictures of yours before install, would you?
I do but I just got a new phone so I'd have to dig around.

They're basically just stock mounts with a hole drilled on the side where they were drained and filled from. I'll look when I go home.