MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
CEL for running lean after EC mids + tune

P2096 Post cat fuelr trim too lean bank 1
P2098 ___||____ bank 2

I assume this is for both headers?

Mods: 180mm crank, mids, no cats, no res, x pipe

Last week I got ec mids installed at a shop, and they did new pipe to replace my rusty garbage from the previous owner removing cats. I got an x pipe and new pipes done.

On Saturday I installed my EC tune to update for the headers (already tuned for no cats and 180, verified with Jerry that the file is correct), and went to test my car. I got one code (bank 1) on the way to the highway, I erased the code and kept going wondering why that could be.

I got off the highway to a loud grinding noise, drove the car home, next day I checked to see all 3 nuts on the driver header flange are gone. One was gone on the passenger header. I replaced with new tension lock nuts and lock washers, and erased the codes, there were 2 of them at this time presumably since another nut fell off on the ride home.

Today, Tuesday, I drove to the gym, I stepped on the gas a bit after the SC engaged and got the car up to 70ish, look down--- ANOTHER CEL.... golly...

See attached for CEL's.

I emailed Jerry about it, didn't explain the story just sent him a pic of the codes and asked for ideas.

What I will do:
Check the flanges again, plan to get flex pipes installed, etc

What you will do:
Give me some wisdom because I am lost.

I know I need to do some logging but i have nothing to do it aside from torque, eurocharged tune cable and their software, and my laptop.
Attached Thumbnails CEL for running lean after EC mids + tune-screenshot_20170822-080022.png  
Old 08-22-2017, 12:40 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
E420
An exhaust leak would cause this code sounds like you're on the right track.

Your fuel filter or injectors may be dirty and this just showed up because the car is trying too use more fuel now.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by E42AMG???
An exhaust leak would cause this code sounds like you're on the right track.

Your fuel filter or injectors may be dirty and this just showed up because the car is trying too use more fuel now.
I've ran a few bottles of techron since I bought the car on April 1st so I'm hoping that's not the case. It happened right after I put a fresh tank of gas in...

The gas tank was serviced in 2016 I think for the recall probably, but how can I ensure my filter isn't plugged up? From what I've read it's impossible to change the filter without messing everything up/replacing the whole pump
Old 08-22-2017, 12:59 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
1956 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday, 2006 AMG S55, 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE
Originally Posted by MACEDON
I've ran a few bottles of techron since I bought the car on April 1st so I'm hoping that's not the case. It happened right after I put a fresh tank of gas in...

The gas tank was serviced in 2016 I think for the recall probably, but how can I ensure my filter isn't plugged up? From what I've read it's impossible to change the filter without messing everything up/replacing the whole pump
Post cat, so that's after the cat.. sounds like secondary o2's... I know you said they were coded out..
Old 08-22-2017, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by cmpcpro
Post cat, so that's after the cat.. sounds like secondary o2's... I know you said they were coded out..
I emailed Jerry and he said that it's not that.

---------------

To: Jerry
Subject: RE: Tune file

The nuts are thread locked as it is.
Guys in the FB group are saying I'm getting the code bc of the cats, has the CEL been programmed out in the tune?
For the last tune the code popped up and you told me to just clear the codes and it never showed up again. Wondering if it's the same thing

---------------

Lol… yes.

Your code is not a catalyst efficiency code.

Last edited by MACEDON; 10-19-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:20 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
1956 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday, 2006 AMG S55, 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE
Then I would say exhaust leak. Someone on the Facebook group installed these and had the same exact sound and problem with the nuts missing. Did you replace the gaskets with the nuts? They could have gotten burned.

Last edited by cmpcpro; 08-22-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 929 Likes on 721 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
<snip> but how can I ensure my filter isn't plugged up? From what I've read it's impossible to change the filter without messing everything up/replacing the whole pump
-Check fuel pressure; should be approximately 80 psi at idle.
-Check fuel pump amperage draw; should be approximately 13 amps per pump, 26 amps total.

You can replace just the filter but you will have to open up the fuel pumps side of the tank so as to release the fuel lines that carry the fuel from the pumps to the filter. Be sure to tie a cord around the old lines as you pull the filter out; then tie that cord around the new filter's lines and pull the lines over the hump and back over the fuel pumps side.

Be sure to verify part numbers before ordering replacements; old and new are not interchangeable due to differing connectors on the fuel lines.
The following users liked this post:
MACEDON (08-22-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by cmpcpro
Then I would say exhaust leak. Someone on the Facebook group installed these and had the same exact sound and problem with the nuts missing. Did you replace the gaskets with the nuts? They could have gotten burned.
I think that might be the case honeslty because I drove the car for a good hour all the way home with 4 nuts total missing... I am taking it back to my mechanic he's definitely worried about the integrity of the system so he's gonna test it with a smoke machine and square it out with nice gaskets. And I'm getting a flex put in, should've done that from the get go...

Originally Posted by bbirdwell
-Check fuel pressure; should be approximately 80 psi at idle.
-Check fuel pump amperage draw; should be approximately 13 amps per pump, 26 amps total.

You can replace just the filter but you will have to open up the fuel pumps side of the tank so as to release the fuel lines that carry the fuel from the pumps to the filter. Be sure to tie a cord around the old lines as you pull the filter out; then tie that cord around the new filter's lines and pull the lines over the hump and back over the fuel pumps side.

Be sure to verify part numbers before ordering replacements; old and new are not interchangeable due to differing connectors on the fuel lines.
Will do Barry!

I need to order a fuel pressure gauge... what's a kit that you may be able to recommend so I can check driving pressure too?

...damn and I need a multimeter too, I lost mine somehow.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:42 PM

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
E55 amg
I think that might be the case honeslty because I drove the car for a good hour all the way home with 4 nuts total missing... I am taking it back to my mechanic he's definitely worried about the integrity of the system so he's gonna test it with a smoke machine and square it out with nice gaskets. And I'm getting a flex put in, should've done that from the get go...

Will do Barry!

I need to order a fuel pressure gauge... what's a kit that you may be able to recommend so I can check driving pressure too?

...damn and I need a multimeter too, I lost mine somehow.

Those codes have zero to do with fuel issues!!check for leaks they must be right after the o2 ias it passes threw and reads the pipes thinking there is a leak ,then it's getting more air and bam,you get those codes .

If you check it out and all clears ,then it's the extra amount of flow passing the o2 rear and seeing to much air vs fuel(due to being catless)back to the ecu .I would at that point shut off the rear o2 with a star machine !