Sponsored by:

Long tube headers and mid-length headers measurements

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 08:51 PM

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Long tube headers and mid-length headers measurements

Had a set of Maximizer long tubes, MBH long tubes and kleenman mid-length headers at the shop. Took some measurements and wanted to share. For those interested here are the findings.

Primary tube
Maximiers: 1.79 in
MBH: 1.63 in
Mids: 1.70 in

Collector
Maximiers: 2.92 in
MBH: 2.67 in
Mids: 2.58 in

The Maximizers are the longest. MBH is a bit shorter and the mids are the shortest in total length.
Fitment wise MBH takes the cake. The Maximizers are harder to install but doable. The mid-lengths aren't too bad either only thing about them is you need to have a welder connect the down-pipe.

side by side view

side by side

Maximizer's primary tube ID

MBH Primary tube ID

mid-length's primary tube ID

Maximizer's collector ID

MBH's Collector ID

Mid-length's Collector ID

The following users liked this post:
mbmg (06-18-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 12:03 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
All the measurements you reference are of the inside diameter. That is how pipe is measured. Tubing is measured by the outside diameter. Tubing will have all sorts of I.D measurements due to wall thickness. Our tubing is 1.75" tubing and is 16 gauge wall thickness and that would give you an ID of about 1.68.
Measuring at the flange port is not an accurate way to determine primary tube size. Some headers will weld the primary tube directly to the outside of the header flange. Some will slip it all the way in and weld both sides of the flange (inside and outside). some will slip it all they way in and just weld the outside part. As you can see coated chinese headers do not weld the inside of the flange. So its not a good area to determine anything except the inside of the port size. Keep in mind the OEM metal gaskets have an ID of 1.6. So a flange port any bigger than that can cause problems.
It is cool to see them all side by side. However only one header in this picture still has has a lifetime warranty on it
'

Old 06-19-2019, 01:45 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Interesting how much bigger the Chinese headers are. You selling any of these though?
Old 06-19-2019, 09:19 AM

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Very interesting and neat to see side by side brother thanks for sharing now lets get one car makin lots of boost an try ea one an see.the dyno graph overlay haha
Old 06-19-2019, 01:36 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 392 Likes on 284 Posts
E55 C63
The Chinese headers are the best bang for the buck!
Old 06-20-2019, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
They look like they would drag on the ground Love to see some side view installed pictures. My car is lowered enough to look cool but not be obvious. I don't think I'd have the clearance for cheap headers.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:31 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E55 C63
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist
They look like they would drag on the ground Love to see some side view installed pictures. My car is lowered enough to look cool but not be obvious. I don't think I'd have the clearance for cheap headers.
You will not have an issue with ground clearance.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:53 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
2006 CLS55
Originally Posted by Das_it16
Had a set of Maximizer long tubes, MBH long tubes and kleenman mid-length headers at the shop. Took some measurements and wanted to share. For those interested here are the findings.

Primary tube
Maximiers: 1.79 in
MBH: 1.63 in
Mids: 1.70 in

Collector
Maximiers: 2.92 in
MBH: 2.67 in
Mids: 2.58 in

The Maximizers are the longest. MBH is a bit shorter and the mids are the shortest in total length.
Fitment wise MBH takes the cake. The Maximizers are harder to install but doable. The mid-lengths aren't too bad either only thing about them is you need to have a welder connect the down-pipe.

side by side view

side by side

Maximizer's primary tube ID

MBH Primary tube ID

mid-length's primary tube ID

Maximizer's collector ID

MBH's Collector ID

Mid-length's Collector ID
Any of them for sale?
Old 06-21-2019, 01:28 AM

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by VictoryRoadPerformance
The Chinese headers are the best bang for the buck!
Originally Posted by VictoryRoadPerformance
You will not have an issue with ground clearance.
Love the CHEAP Chinese LTH! No clearance issue here. Installed them on my back with no issue as well. Saved tons of labor cost for other fun parts!
Old 06-21-2019, 09:29 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
AMG
Love my MBH! More ground clearance when I drop the car with the LoMo and American made...like me!
Old 06-22-2019, 01:12 AM

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts
2006 E55
Love MB E55, GERMAN car if I'm not mistaken. Hooah!
Old 07-07-2019, 11:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E55 C63
Great Comparison, Shows you do not need to break the bank to get great headers
Old 03-14-2023, 08:18 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 CLS55 IWC, 2003 Black E55 designo interior, 2005 White designo E55
Not worth buying fake cheap headers

I remember reading some many posts about the long tube headers and in particular the difference between the cheap fake ones and the actually engineered products from American racing and MBH. Well... here I am 3 years later. For what its worth:

do not buy the fakes.
Hard to fit
At least one exhaust port was partially blocked and I only discovered this when I removed the headers from the cylinder head to do engine work.

Leaks from before the primary or precat Oxygen sensors. Leaks that became worse with mileage and time. Poisonous fumes into cabin with windows closed. A real problem in summer as well as the fumes enter even more via window. Suffocating crap. Headaches, mood issues from the noxious fumes.

car is louder as the leakes get worse. Some noticeable vibration getting worse as leak gets worse.

Not to mention SIX front primary o2 sensors that got fried because car is running rich due to exhaust leak. 2 original ones and 4 bosch replacements. Even the bosch sensor for my AFR Guage got fried. The afr Gage was showing rich condition almost always but it didn't seem too bad and obviously car was running pretty ok.

Not to mention I spent about 400 dolars at the exhaust shop to fix the initial leaks, near the x pipe joints. Visited three times.. 400 total. Headers cost around 600 and some change.. so its quite funny to me that i had this around 75% extra cost for leaks!

so long tube headers.. lesson is this: do not put non engineered items on your car, particularly not a quality brand like Mercedes. Its a short lived experience.. fake items are not worth it, and to be fair its a bit offensive to the brands that actually design and engineer these goods. If we look at it from a business perspective; the research, the material, location of the real estate, the employees, then some profit on top- I understand why the headers can't be 600 dollars. I do understand that not many amg 55 units get sold as compared to, for example us domestic vehicle long tubes. So unit price is higher.

Everyone is free to do as they wish. But this was the first time I ever put such an inferior product on my cars. It is the last. Simply leave it stock if u won't spend more for the quality.
The following users liked this post:
nd-photo.nl (03-14-2023)