MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   E63 M156 Updated Dipstick (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/680827-e63-m156-updated-dipstick.html)

hachiroku 08-30-2017 02:09 PM

E63 M156 Updated Dipstick

hey guys,
any idea why Mercedes updated their dipstick? my original one's grab loop was broken so i ordered a replacement. the replacement was a red handle vs a black and made from flat steel vs metal cable.

only thing i could think of is the cable could get kinked and not return to proper shape which could cause false readings whereas the flat metal if bent could easily be bent back to give proper readings.

Dublinoh 08-30-2017 02:36 PM

I have no idea why, but my Indy replaced mine first time he had the car, like it mattered. Didn't ask, didn't explain just did it.

TempeAMG 09-05-2017 12:14 AM

I also had the grab hook on my cable type of dipstick break. Ordered one from the dealer which when I got it was a metal type dipstick. I asked the parts guy and he told me this is the latest rev. of that part. I told him that this was for a 2007 and was told that this dipstick is for the M156 engine. Well it was a good thing I did not throw the old one away, when comparing the two, the metal dipstick is overall longer and the plastic marking balls are in different locations. So now when I use the dipstick to check the oil level, I have the lay it out against the old one to see where the level actually is

hachiroku 09-05-2017 03:48 PM

when i did the comparison, the plastic markings were pretty close. the newer metal dip stick did look like the high marking was a few mm lower than the factory one, but nothing to worry about.

did you do a comparison from the lower o-ring?

Yuille36 09-06-2017 10:03 AM

My Tech informed me, that MB had a service bulletin out for this part. Once he examined my E63, he found that oil was be forced up thru the dipstick at high RPM. The new dipstick and cap doesn't allow this to happen.

Rovel 02-19-2018 05:24 PM

Hi All,
I checked my oil today and found out that the red bottom part of my dipstick, the part that has min-max marks on it, has cracks. I want to change the dipstick before any plastic falls comes out and falls into the engine. Does anybody know the part number for 2007 E63 Amg? I can't find it on parts.com. Thanks in advance.

Racin_fool 02-19-2018 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rovel (Post 7385074)
Hi All,
I checked my oil today and found out that the red bottom part of my dipstick, the part that has min-max marks on it, has cracks. I want to change the dipstick before any plastic falls comes out and falls into the engine. Does anybody know the part number for 2007 E63 Amg? I can't find it on parts.com. Thanks in advance.

The part # that i am coming up with is 156-010-17-72 through EPC

Rovel 02-19-2018 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Racin_fool (Post 7385085)
The part # that i am coming up with is 156-010-17-72 through EPC

Thanks, I put that number in search and according to ECS tuning it fits my car: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ck/1560101772/
But according to MBOemparts it won't: https://www.mboemparts.com/oem-parts...PWxheWVyXzg%3D

I will use that number in parts.com and ask them to verify it will fit before shipping. Thanks

Racin_fool 02-19-2018 05:39 PM

I just did a search for a 211.077 matching the car description you provided (2007 E63) into EPC and that is the last updated part it provides.

Rovel 05-28-2018 08:36 PM

HI all, I hate the updated dipstick. It is so much harder to read the level. The factory one was much easier. The metal piece always gets stained with oil making it harder to see where the level is.

I drained all the oil including the oil cooler, then put 8.5 liters of oIL and it is above the max according to the updated dipstick. How in the world? Doesn't m156 hold 9.5 liters? I wish I kept the factory one

Yuille36 05-29-2018 12:08 PM

If you put in 9.5 quarts, then you are good regardless to what the dipstick is saying. I always put in 9.5 quarts, and have never had any issues in 11 plus years of ownership.

Rovel 05-29-2018 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Yuille36 (Post 7465007)
If you put in 9.5 quarts, then you are good regardless to what the dipstick is saying. I always put in 9.5 quarts, and have never had any issues in 11 plus years of ownership.

Just came back from the dealer. The confirmed that the updated dipstick I bought had correct part number. They cannot understand why putting 8.5 quarts brought the dipstick to above max level. They also confirmed that the engine takes 8.5 liters or 9.5 US quarts. They shrugged their shoulders and recommended bringing the car in for the next oil change and have them do it, so that they can measure how much oil goes in.

Yuille36 05-29-2018 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rovel (Post 7465209)
Just came back from the dealer. The confirmed that the updated dipstick I bought had correct part number. They cannot understand why putting 8.5 quarts brought the dipstick to above max level. They also confirmed that the engine takes 8.5 liters or 9.5 US quarts. They shrugged their shoulders and recommended bringing the car in for the next oil change and have them do it, so that they can measure how much oil goes in.

This is good to hear, it's better to have just a little more oil in the car, than to not have enough oil. That's reminds me to check my oil the next time, to see where my oil level is at. :y

hachiroku 05-29-2018 06:21 PM

**deleted** saw comment above

Rovel 10-18-2018 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Yuille36 (Post 7465223)
This is good to hear, it's better to have just a little more oil in the car, than to not have enough oil. That's reminds me to check my oil the next time, to see where my oil level is at. :y

I did another oil change today and added 7.5 quarts. Checked level and it was just under the max (second mark) on the dipstick. How in the world? Poured one full 5 quarts bottle and attaching the picture of the second one. Added a little more later just to be safe - about 8.5 total. Scared that adding 9.2 may cause damage to gaskets and stuff.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...207ba297d1.jpg

Yuille36 10-19-2018 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rovel (Post 7580748)
I did another oil change today and added 7.5 quarts. Checked level and it was just under the max (second mark) on the dipstick. How in the world? Poured one full 5 quarts bottle and attaching the picture of the second one. Added a little more later just to be safe - about 8.5 total. Scared that adding 9.2 may cause damage to gaskets and stuff.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...207ba297d1.jpg

Did you drain the oil cooler, because that holds roughly a qt. Maybe a little more?

hachiroku 10-19-2018 12:55 PM

sorry for the bad photo. here is my dipstick after last fill up. we drained the oil cooler and oil pan and then poured 8.6 quarts into the engine and then started her up for 5-10 minutes. afterwards we checked the dipstick after normal operating temperature. oil was GROSSLY over the max fill line. checked the dipstick 3 more times for safe measure and confirmed...yes this new dipstick reads entirely wrong. added 0.8 more quart with a big middle finger. last oil change my mechanic used the dipstick as a measurement and about 1500-2000 miles prior to my next oil change, my low oil light came on. i did hoon the car quite a bit, but i've never had the low oil light come on prior to the new dipstick even with hooning. also, i have had all oil leaks repaired and my engine does not burn oil. it does burn oil through the PCV if I redline and snap the throttle closed and coast multiple times...from what I gather, the PCV sucks all that oil vapor out and over time can lessen the overall amount of oil in the engine. this is expected generally speaking.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...b0a894db04.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...55bf41ddeb.jpg

Rovel 10-19-2018 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by hachiroku (Post 7581076)
sorry for the bad photo. here is my dipstick after last fill up. we drained the oil cooler and oil pan and then poured 8.6 quarts into the engine and then started her up for 5-10 minutes. afterwards we checked the dipstick after normal operating temperature. oil was GROSSLY over the max fill line. checked the dipstick 3 more times for safe measure and confirmed...yes this new dipstick reads entirely wrong. added 0.8 more quart with a big middle finger. last oil change my mechanic used the dipstick as a measurement and about 1500-2000 miles prior to my next oil change, my low oil light came on. i did hoon the car quite a bit, but i've never had the low oil light come on prior to the new dipstick even with hooning. also, i have had all oil leaks repaired and my engine does not burn oil. it does burn oil through the PCV if I redline and snap the throttle closed and coast multiple times...from what I gather, the PCV sucks all that oil vapor out and over time can lessen the overall amount of oil in the engine. this is expected generally speaking.

I really think that these updated dipsticks lie. I wish I never threw the original one away and could measure with that one :( I would totally buy the old one, but can't find even on ebay.

hachiroku 10-19-2018 05:28 PM

well when i compared my old one versus the new one they didn't line up that's for sure. i don't remember exactly but they did not line up.

Yuille36 10-22-2018 08:34 AM

I think that they updated the dipstick, due to the possibility of the red plastic pieces could break off. Which wouldn't be good to have plastic bits floating around inside your engine, as a oil passage could become block.

strider-g3 10-28-2021 03:01 PM

what is the length of the original OEM engine oil dipstick? My CLK63 came with a broken one also and I want to replace it

hachiroku 10-28-2021 03:54 PM

don't recall as its long gone...but different chassis's have different dipsticks and mercedes didn't care when they went to a single part.

Rovel 10-28-2021 10:24 PM

2007 E63 dipstick was about 23 and 3/4 inches.

E63007 10-29-2022 12:35 PM

E63 Motorsports, you know the guys that make the alternative upgraded CamAdjusters, makes a replacement Oil Dipstick of a cable design attached to their own Custom Fabbed E63 Logo Handles. Only thing is, because they are made from Aluminum? they get really hot!😳 Also, unless you use a paper towel to absorb what is left damp from oil at the tip, it’s awfully hard to see oil on the cable much less both crimped-on markers? But at least they got the length right!

PNW_E63_AMG 03-01-2023 11:55 PM

OG E63 m156 dipstick

My factory dipstick is discontinued and has cracks from old age. Some say the replacement is discontinued as well. Not sold on the 63motorsports unit. Any other options?dipstick is 22 and 1/4 from the bottom of the top of the dipstick.