Sponsored by:

Supercharger belt problem (seriously)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 W211 E55
Supercharger belt problem (seriously)

Hey, about a month ago my idler pulley ripped itself off (front part), the back part was still intact but I just ordered the whole thing to call it a day. Long story short, I just put the thing on and I can't get the belt back on. No, I'm not retarded.

I obviously also had to put the other belt back on which I could almost do with one hand after pulling the belt tensioner all the way back / down. It was easy.

Now the SC belt is absolutely impossible to put on, it's just too short. It doesn't matter if I fixate the tensioner with an allen key or keep holding it back with the wrench (which gives you a tiny bit of extra legnth)

SC and Crank pulley are stock and the idler pulley is also the exact same size as the old one. It's also the same belt which was on there before. (1289mm)

First thought would be get a longer belt. I live in Thailand and I have to order all my parts from EU or NA which takes a while to arrive (+ import duty is a bit**)

So i'd really appreciate any help if there's anything else I could try to get the thing back on.

Thanks!

Last edited by natza; 09-16-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:50 PM

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts
CLS55
So it can only be two things either your trying to install the belt incorrectly or the part you recieved is not correct. Ensure your putting the belt in using the right pattern. What part number is your new tensioner assembly?
Old 09-17-2017, 01:18 AM

2003 W211 E55
Originally Posted by PieRat
So it can only be two things either your trying to install the belt incorrectly or the part you recieved is not correct. Ensure your putting the belt in using the right pattern. What part number is your new tensioner assembly?
I have replaced the idler pulley, this thing:

Part # A1132020419.

Regarding putting the belt on incorrectly, I doubt that's the problem since it's really straight forward and appears to be much simpler than the serpentine belt which I put on without any trouble whatsoever.

Just for reference, this is how I put the belt on, red numbers indicating the order.

Crank pulley - SC pulley - Slide under tensioner - TRYING to go on the idler.

It's definitely sitting in all the grooves correctly and the tensioner is released as far as it goes.

I have also tried a different order, putting it over the SC pulley last since it has this smooth edge where it might slip over more easily, but no dice the belt just seems to be too short.

Last edited by natza; 09-17-2017 at 01:22 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:07 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
04 55
obviously it should fit if you are replacing exact size pulley's .. i put one on several months ago and i had to use a wrench and hold it back as you reference and sort of force on the new belt by getting it almost in place then rotating the the belt assembly with something (i forget what i used) .. very tight as you describe -- actually too tight because the bearing wore out in a couple thousand miles -- get a new belt 1cm longer or get a smaller SC pulley
Old 09-17-2017, 01:35 PM

2003 W211 E55
Originally Posted by new55
obviously it should fit if you are replacing exact size pulley's .. i put one on several months ago and i had to use a wrench and hold it back as you reference and sort of force on the new belt by getting it almost in place then rotating the the belt assembly with something (i forget what i used) .. very tight as you describe -- actually too tight because the bearing wore out in a couple thousand miles -- get a new belt 1cm longer or get a smaller SC pulley
At least this confirms I am not crazy and the thing is indeed either too short or VERY tight. I am almost certain this was also the reason why the idler pulley broke off in the first place, too much pressure from the belt since it was too short I guess.

Guess I'll be ordering a new belt then. At least another 2 weeks of riding taxis, woohoo..

Thanks anyways.

Last edited by natza; 09-17-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:42 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
04 55
Originally Posted by natza
At least this confirms I am not crazy and the thing is indeed either too short or VERY tight. I am almost certain this was also the reason why the idler pulley broke off in the first place, too much pressure from the belt since it was too short I guess.

Guess I'll be ordering a new belt then. At least another 2 weeks of riding taxis, woohoo..

Thanks anyways.
you can drive without an SC belt -- just down to about 200HP
The following 2 users liked this post by new55:
C3Duece (09-18-2017), natza (09-18-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 290 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Yes no belt needed to drive it , just low on power. I pull my belt off every time I make the 4 hour trek to the track. No issues ever.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 166 Likes on 137 Posts
2019 Jeep Trackhawk, 2002 CLK55, 2014 911 Carrera
Originally Posted by natza
I have replaced the idler pulley, this thing:

Part # A1132020419.

Regarding putting the belt on incorrectly, I doubt that's the problem since it's really straight forward and appears to be much simpler than the serpentine belt which I put on without any trouble whatsoever.

Just for reference, this is how I put the belt on, red numbers indicating the order.

Crank pulley - SC pulley - Slide under tensioner - TRYING to go on the idler.

It's definitely sitting in all the grooves correctly and the tensioner is released as far as it goes.

I have also tried a different order, putting it over the SC pulley last since it has this smooth edge where it might slip over more easily, but no dice the belt just seems to be too short.
Did you try putting it on all of the grooved pulleys first, and then slipping it under the tensioner last? That's how I always do it. Since the tensioner rides on the back of the belt you don't need extra play for the ribs to slide over the pulleys. It may be just enough for you to get it on. Just make sure the tensioner isn't maxed-out once it's installed; there should be a little spring left in it when the belt is on.