W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

VRP superflo Intercooler pump results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 09:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
NA
Originally Posted by E55amg0220
Found a small stretch of onramp that allowed a full WOT too just shy of top of 3rd an over 135mph!! By the time i shutdown my high IAT was just over 87 degrees i pulled off next exit which was just a 1/4 mile away an temps were already 69. Got right back on an hit 130 MPH going up the on ramp an my IAT was 89.3 F .....
Risking tear-inducing fines in the name of science. Although I guess it helps to be in the most lenient state in the country when it comes to speeding. In some parts of Virginia, they'll literally throw you in jail and/or tow your car on the spot if you go over 80 mph absolute or 20 mph over the posted. It's an incredible scam by the local jurisdictions and defense attorneys. Class 1 misdemeanor, too, which means it goes on your criminal record (although the good news is that most employers are sane and won't hold it against you).
The following users liked this post:
VictoryRoadPerformance (11-09-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 11:45 PM

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by GM_Lover
Risking tear-inducing fines in the name of science. Although I guess it helps to be in the most lenient state in the country when it comes to speeding. In some parts of Virginia, they'll literally throw you in jail and/or tow your car on the spot if you go over 80 mph absolute or 20 mph over the posted. It's an incredible scam by the local jurisdictions and defense attorneys. Class 1 misdemeanor, too, which means it goes on your criminal record (although the good news is that most employers are sane and won't hold it against you).
Well wont lie .... my butt was clenched tighter than a drum .... i dont want to get a ticket but had to be sure it wasnt a fluke only goin wot in 2nd. But least i got it done for some good back to back 3rd gear pulls.

Utah is pretty cool but they arent exactly happy bout speeders either. Haha
Old 11-06-2017, 05:39 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Ok c32 just for you i decided to do some more testing ..... first thing i did is go out an do another bleed just to make sure i got all bubbles out .... found a few more kept doing it for 7 mins just to make sure.

Went out and bought torque pro cause i heard its a bit better than dash command. It also reads in F not C so that helps i didnt have to do any conversions.

Went out its a balmy 49 to 50 degrees today in good ole Utah and cruising i was hitting a high of 62.7 degrees an low of 57.6 degrees F thats less than 10 degrees above ambient in the low an just over on the high .... not bad.

Found a small stretch of onramp that allowed a full WOT too just shy of top of 3rd an over 135mph!! By the time i shutdown my high IAT was just over 87 degrees i pulled off next exit which was just a 1/4 mile away an temps were already 69. Got right back on an hit 130 MPH going up the on ramp an my IAT was 89.3 F ..... id say thats pretty dam good for just a superflo, VRP heat exchanger, an 76mm pulley no split cooling, no meth, no trunk or underhood tank. But both underhood tank and meth are coming as well as MBH headers an mid pipe.

Also waiting for my updated tune from tony as im still pretty rich.
Awesome stuff man. That is true results, thanks for risking it. Out here in Africa I guess we lucky with a bit more options on were we can kick it down good an proper.
Your system is dialed in nicely now. I don't even think I would bother with a w/m kit for yourself to be honest. Just get a retune with leaner afr's and you are good to go mate. Your intake Temps for top of 3rd gear pull is unheard of with your setup. Bloody awesome results.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:05 AM

2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Thanks man i am thinking its because of the cool close to winter conditions .... if it were hotter 70s, 80s or 90s i think my IATs would not be as cooperative.

I honestly cant explain it but i did do a data log with torque pro so i have that as well .... as soon i figure out how to post that or get turn into graphs i will post that too.

I still think an underhood tank is a must and like i said ill see where i am after that as well. Plus with the headers an such that should get me real close to where im wanting my car power wise.

Africa huh ..... one of the very few places i have yet to visit .... but i plan too. Been all over the world being ex military an did enjoy all the traveling ..... last 4 big ones i want to go too is africa, australia, eqypt, and brazil. If i can do anything else to help anyone make an informed decision just ask
Old 11-06-2017, 04:14 PM

For sure the warmer OAT in summer will hurt the intake temps, as your starting IAT will be higher of course, but you got some months to go for those test results haha..
The headers will definitely help you gain more power.
Shot for your testing of this pump, I know for sure when mine takes a crapper I will be replacing it with the VRP superflow for sure

Africa will always be here bud lol.. If you swing by this way, give us a shout.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:54 PM

2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Definitely brother sounds like a plan
Old 11-07-2017, 07:21 PM

Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
CLS55
I find the cooling system on my car more efficient in the cold temps eg. Cruising temps are closer to ambient if ambient is cool. When the ambient temperature is higher the difference between my cruising temps and the ambient temperature seems to grow exponentially. This is the same for peak temp's at WOT. Have you guys noticed this trend? I'm basing this from observation and recall not proper data logging and comparison.

Here is NZ our temps can range from about 0-35C over the year. I love dry winter conditions car feels so much more responsive and powerful and angry.

I would like to see your logs in the summer time, E55amg0220 so that we can confirm the appealing recovery, peak and cruising temperatures. I'm not disputing your findings, but when I was researching cooling before doing my upgrades there were plenty of claims that high flow pumps made no difference or in some cases people were claiming it made things worse.

See these threads, the thought seems to be unless you have added restriction to the system (multiple HE's, engine-bay or trunk tanks) that high flow is bad.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...n-cm-90-a.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-vs-wp136.html

- P Rat
Old 11-07-2017, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by PieRat
I find the cooling system on my car more efficient in the cold temps eg. Cruising temps are closer to ambient if ambient is cool. When the ambient temperature is higher the difference between my cruising temps and the ambient temperature seems to grow exponentially. This is the same for peak temp's at WOT. Have you guys noticed this trend? I'm basing this from observation and recall not proper data logging and comparison.

Here is NZ our temps can range from about 0-35C over the year. I love dry winter conditions car feels so much more responsive and powerful and angry.

I would like to see your logs in the summer time, E55amg0220 so that we can confirm the appealing recovery, peak and cruising temperatures. I'm not disputing your findings, but when I was researching cooling before doing my upgrades there were plenty of claims that high flow pumps made no difference or in some cases people were claiming it made things worse.

See these threads, the thought seems to be unless you have added restriction to the system (multiple HE's, engine-bay or trunk tanks) that high flow is bad.

- P Rat
I can agree with you there mate, as here we also have pretty wild swings in temperature, and yes the delta does get bigger when the OAT's are hotter in summer.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:54 AM

2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Yeah for sure the summer will be the best test but sadly by then ill have the underhood tank in, headers, an possibly the meth as well .... just cus winters coming dont mean i stop modding
Old 11-09-2017, 02:11 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 393 Likes on 284 Posts
E55 C63

- P Rat
We are definitely not overflowing the intercooler, attached is track logs with various HE/Pump setups. youll notice the most significant drop was with the superflo. we will be completing another one of these tests with our new single pass intercooler, and top mounts. with various setups.
(Car had split cooling and these various combinations only. lower HE was the V3 (single pass))

As Flow increases, starting temps and recovery improve. as you increase capacity and cooling area the peak temperatures drop.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:15 PM

CLS55
Great thanks for the clarity VRP!
Old 11-09-2017, 02:19 PM

2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
very nicely done VRP ...... I will be awaiting the new single pass intercooler that alone will do HUGE wonders for the efficiency of the stock superchargers ..... sign me up for one!
Old 11-09-2017, 02:27 PM

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts
2005 E55

- P Rat
High flow is never bad. That is just not how heat transfer in a closed fluid system with a heat source and a heat sink works. The heat transfer will always be proportional to flow rate. More flow, will mean better heat transfer, and less flow, will mean less heat transfer. That is why the CWA100 is so good. It flows more than all the rest The only thing you need to worry about is frothing coolant with too fast of a pump, that is where the force of the impeller literally rips dissolved gasses out of the fluid. In which case your flow rate will tank because of the compressible gasses. I have read some people claiming to see this with the CWA100 but most people seem to love it so I doubt it occurs.

here is an elementary equation from basic thermodynamics that states that the rate of heat transfer (Q) equals the mass flow rate (M) times a Constant (the specific heat of water) times the Delta T (fluid temp out minus fluid temp in):
Q = M x C x Delta T
In other words, the rate of heat transfer is directly proportional to mass flow rate. If you increase the flow rate, you will then increase the rate of heat transfer. Since you cannot mess with mother nature, it is very naive to think it works any other way.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:34 PM

2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by drothgeb
High flow is never bad. That is just not how heat transfer in a closed fluid system with a heat source and a heat sink works. The heat transfer will always be proportional to flow rate. More flow, will mean better heat transfer, and less flow, will mean less heat transfer. That is why the CWA100 is so good. It flows more than all the rest The only thing you need to worry about is frothing coolant with too fast of a pump, that is where the force of the impeller literally rips dissolved gasses out of the fluid. In which case your flow rate will tank because of the compressible gasses. I have read some people claiming to see this with the CWA100 but most people seem to love it so I doubt it occurs.
I heard this as well but I can tell you so far I have seen zero frothing from the pump set at full speed, I have a clear hose setup that I made so that i can watch it work and not once have i seen any frothing happen.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:37 PM

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts
2005 E55
I heard this as well but I can tell you so far I have seen zero frothing from the pump set at full speed, I have a clear hose setup that I made so that i can watch it work and not once have i seen any frothing happen.
Good info thanks I assumed that was the case because of all the good feedback from people using the pump.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:06 PM

CLS55
Any details on this intercooler upgrade?!!! The chart is interesting but to me it shows that we can upgrade parts around the intercooler (and see some improvements) but the junk intercooler amg put in is always going to hold us back!
Old 11-10-2017, 07:03 PM

2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
yes we want intercooler upgrade ..... Make it happen VRP