Sponsored by:

E55 amg battery drain

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
E55 amg battery drain

Hi, so i just bought an e55 amg a couple of weeks ago, it had a bad battery, so i replaced it, left the car sitting for 3 days and woulndt start, so i took the battery to get charged up (i need to buy a tender i know) and found out i have a drain somewhere, i did the fuse testing with the multimeter and found out that my drain is coming from fuse f 041 which is for the “ central gateway” so im stuck now i have no idea what that is, and how to fix the issue, i have no lights on the dash or anything everything works fine just have that drain coming from that fuse, with that fuse off amd everything closed i have almost no drain its somewhere between 0.3 - 0.8 which i believe is normal, i hope someone can help me out here give me a little more info on the centralgateway and what steps should i take from here, thanks in advance!
Old 01-27-2018, 04:39 AM

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
E55 amg
Have your Alternator tested
Old 01-27-2018, 12:37 PM

E55 AMG
Alternator works fine just tested with meter

Last edited by Thomas Alvarez; 01-27-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:53 PM

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
normal amperage draw for these cars is about 0.080 A or less. If you have 0.3 to 0.8 amp draw, that will kill your battery almost overnight. Seat control modules are notorious for excessive draw, overhead control panel (dome light), and even items such as the lower control panel above the ashtray can cause issues.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:57 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Racin_fool
normal amperage draw for these cars is about 0.080 A or less. If you have 0.3 to 0.8 amp draw, that will kill your battery almost overnight. Seat control modules are notorious for excessive draw, overhead control panel (dome light), and even items such as the lower control panel above the ashtray can cause issues.
thats what i meant i had almost no draw 0.03 - 0.08 when i took off the fuse for the central gateway fuse f041 i took off all
other fuses and the one that has the draw seems to be that one but i dont know what to do next
Old 01-27-2018, 01:06 PM

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
I have seen a few central gateways cause issues, but usually not for an amperage draw. Somehow they get moisture in the control module. Maybe from the A/C, but if you remove it and pop the covers off, you are bound to see something either in the electrical plugs or on the circuit board itself. Just be careful about static discharge if you are actually going to remove the covers from the module and inspect the circuit board. Static shock can kill the modules or circuit boards.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:02 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Racin_fool
I have seen a few central gateways cause issues, but usually not for an amperage draw. Somehow they get moisture in the control module. Maybe from the A/C, but if you remove it and pop the covers off, you are bound to see something either in the electrical plugs or on the circuit board itself. Just be careful about static discharge if you are actually going to remove the covers from the module and inspect the circuit board. Static shock can kill the modules or circuit boards.
i dont even know wheres it at, and if its bad, a new one has to be programmed by the dealer right?

Last edited by Thomas Alvarez; 01-27-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 929 Likes on 721 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
The dealer can pull over all info from the old CGW to the new CGW using Star.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:01 AM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
The dealer can pull over all info from the old CGW to the new CGW using Star.

My question is since the drain comes from the fuse from the central gateway is that gonna be my problem? Or could it be something else? I left the fuse off overnight and the battery is good at 12v car started right up
Old 01-29-2018, 12:11 PM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by Thomas Alvarez

My question is since the drain comes from the fuse from the central gateway is that gonna be my problem? Or could it be something else? I left the fuse off overnight and the battery is good at 12v car started right up
^ Bbirdwell is pointing you to the failing module, the fuse should be isolated to that specific module. In the chance something else rides on that circuit you can unplug the CGW overnight, leave the fuse in. Measure battery voltage when all can bus's are asleep (45 mins, most usually sleep in 15mins). Then measure again in the morning. After isolating the faulty module, assuming the CGW is at fault, a new CGW will have to have the code transferred to it via STAR at the dealer as mentioned.

After buying a house and getting into some home automation/OpenHab coding, my amg was only driven about 10 times in 4 months :-/ she obviously is pissed and I just went through isolating what is causing my 2.0A drain. Common quiescent battery drain:
#F023 Passenger Set Adjustable Memory
#F026 CD Changer
#F028 Radio
#F034 Driver Set Adjustable Memory
#F006 (Audio Gateway) which is located in the trunk

Good luck, chasing a battery vampire sucks
Old 02-01-2018, 02:31 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by BoostedAero
^ Bbirdwell is pointing you to the failing module, the fuse should be isolated to that specific module. In the chance something else rides on that circuit you can unplug the CGW overnight, leave the fuse in. Measure battery voltage when all can bus's are asleep (45 mins, most usually sleep in 15mins). Then measure again in the morning. After isolating the faulty module, assuming the CGW is at fault, a new CGW will have to have the code transferred to it via STAR at the dealer as mentioned.

After buying a house and getting into some home automation/OpenHab coding, my amg was only driven about 10 times in 4 months :-/ she obviously is pissed and I just went through isolating what is causing my 2.0A drain. Common quiescent battery drain:
#F023 Passenger Set Adjustable Memory
#F026 CD Changer
#F028 Radio
#F034 Driver Set Adjustable Memory
#F006 (Audio Gateway) which is located in the trunk

Good luck, chasing a battery vampire sucks

ok update it is that stupid module just bought it from fcpeuro for 170$ and dealer charges another $160 to $200 to program they said so ill update when its all hopefully fixed
Old 02-01-2018, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG

Please note our cars have a few digital modules in them (See BoostedAero's comment on chasing a battery vampire). Also, the CGW (N93) is where all of your maintenance information is stored. You can pull up the history of all services from the CGW so long as the Flexible Service System was properly used.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 02-01-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:37 PM

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
04 E55 AMG
I had this same problem, for me it was the auxiliary battery that controls the brakes that was drawing power from the main battery and alternator. Can't hurt to test it.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:46 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by gjunon
I had this same problem, for me it was the auxiliary battery that controls the brakes that was drawing power from the main battery and alternator. Can't hurt to test it.
update replaced that module but i still have a drain, aux battery is at 12.69 when car is off and when on its at the same voltage should it go up? Anyways i dont think this has anything to do with the draw, but if anyone has some info on how to perform a fuse amp draw test the right way for these cars i would apreciatte it

Last edited by Thomas Alvarez; 03-01-2018 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:50 PM

E55 AMG
Why was everything ok when i had the fuse for the cgw out or the module itself and now with the new one i still have a drain? Im thinking it could be the alarm maybe? The alarm i have makes only like a tiny noise it can barely be heard Idk i havent tried not locking the car overnight im gonna try that also, any help is apreciatted
Old 03-02-2018, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG

The stock alarm has a non-replaceable battery in it. When it goes bad, it does strange things. Replace with new one. It is located under the passenger side fender (LHD car).

Auxiliary battery is not connected in-circuit when the car is off; when running it will be connected to the charge circuit for approximately 15 minutes once per drive cycle. If main battery fails, the auxiliary battery will be connected to the electrical system via the K57 relay located under the cowling above the auxiliary battery. As voltage drops (since the main electrical system is defective) consumer devices are turned off to conserve power for the SBC unit.

Fuse amp draw test requires a meter that measures in the microvolt range (e.g. Fluke 189 or Keithly 197 or similar).
Old 03-02-2018, 12:02 PM

E55 AMG

Ok so the thing i dont understand is why was everything fine when i would leave the cgw fuse or module out of the car overnight and now with a new one theres still a drain? I already tried leaving off the same fuse for the cgw out of the car with the new cgw installed and programmed by dealer and still draining...

Could the aux battery or that relay if its bad cause a drain on the main battery somehow?

Also could u give me a lil more info on exactly how to perform that draw test with microvolts, is there a video or something? I dont quite get how to do it
just leave meter on fuse 30 and start pulling other fuses?

Thanks for responding, i also just left the car overnight not locked to try the alarm, with the most common fuses that could cause the drain and still had the drain. ( i left #23,34,26,28,6,9) so i guess those arent a problem

Last edited by Thomas Alvarez; 03-02-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:15 PM

E55 AMG
Also aux battery just went up to 14v while car running so i guess thats not a problem either🤔🤔
Old 03-03-2018, 01:17 AM

E55 AMG
Any other common problem fuses/relays or modules to try? Im kinda stuck already threw like 400$ replacing the cgw, i dont want to throw away 300$ on a multimeter to read microvolts, i mean if theres no other way, but still...
Old 03-03-2018, 08:45 PM

E55 AMG
Ok so apparently by removing the fuse for the weight sensoring system i have almost no drain on the battery, And now adding things up i always have to put on the passenger seat belt even if noones is sitting there, i guess it thinks that someone is always sitting there so i guess something is wrong with the passenger side sensor? Anyone been through this? Im about to take the seat out to have a look ...
Old 03-05-2018, 08:04 PM

E55 AMG

Is this fuse number 85? I dont see a number on the fuse but i looked online and it looks like its the one for communication platform and voice recognition, with that fuse off and fuse n35 i have almost no drain on the battery, can i leave the one for the communications off? Or how would it affect anything, if not wheres the module for that located?
Old 03-05-2018, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 215 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Thomas I know there are few comments but whatever you find and post will be a help to someone in the future.
Thanks for sticking with it.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:39 PM

E55 AMG
Thanks and yeah im trying to find solutions, as for the communications fuse if i leave that off my radio doesnt work, and ive been searching i think that can be bypassed if anyone has a diy on that id aprecciate it, the thing that concerns me is the fuse number 35 for the weight sensoring system i do believe its for my passenger seat i still havent taken the seat off, but i dont know what that could be exactly like i said since i bought the car it requires me to put the passenger seat belt on even if noones sitting there, and i dont think thats working properly but i dont know exactly what it is, sensor, module,etc... id aprecciate any help with that
Old 03-06-2018, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 215 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I wish I could help you out with your issues but I’m just a dumb ol body man.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E55 amg battery drain