Sponsored by:

Diagnosing misfires on the M156 using the Torque app

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 01:17 PM

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Diagnosing misfires on the M156 using the Torque app

Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF): Engine misfires can occur frequently in the M156 engine due to failing coil(s) but may not trigger any diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) or the "check engine" light to illuminate.

My E63 is sitting at 111k+ miles or so and I've already replaced one ignition coil based on information obtained from a DTC and check engine light warning by using the Torque mobile app. What I have noticed over the past two months or so is an apparent but very noticeable misfire developed again. I kept an eye over the symptoms as they gradually occured more frequently but wondered why I wasn't getting any DTCs. I decided to run the "Test Results" function of the Torque app and was able to pinpoint the offending coil by scrolling to the sections that break down misfire events for each cylinder. In my case, this time the coil was failing on cylinder #7 (see screenshot for reference). Note: The screenshot was taken after the car was driven a few times following the new coil install, hence the low numbers. I was sitting at like 35 misfires for the last 10 drive cycles and averaging around 5-7 for each current drive cycle. Either way, this shows how you can narrow down misfires for each individual cylinder, even if it isn't throwing any codes. I replaced the coil and all is well again. I am sure many M156s are either approaching or have surpassed the 100k mark when wear items always seem to start showing their ***. Just a helpful tidbit to keep in your mental toolbox. Cheapest place I was able to find coils was RockAuto at ~$28 not including shipping. The local parts stores are sometimes double this or more. It's good to have a spare lying around.

The following users liked this post:
PNW_E63_AMG (Yesterday)
Old 02-19-2018, 04:01 PM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
04 e55
good info -- thanks
Old 08-23-2019, 06:04 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
how do you monitor misfire? i am unable to find this on Torque Pro and my Generic Bluetooth OBD2 reader

edit:
nevermind i re-read that you went to the Test Results function of Torque.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com

Last edited by hachiroku; 08-23-2019 at 07:50 PM.