W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone school me on eBay Android head units for dummies?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 02:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, 2018 Audi Q7, 2005 Porsche Boxster S, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 744HP 1965 Shelby Cobra
Can someone school me on eBay Android head units for dummies?

So here's the deal - I'm not a electronics/tech guy. I have searched until my eyes popped out, and most of what I read is old, likely outdated, oft times contradictory, and usually dissolves (or elevates, depending on your tech comprehension) to high level tech talk. I can install and hook up old school stereos all day long. In fact, I just did one in my 2002 Porsche Boxster. I replaced all the speakers, two new amps, subwoofer, etc. To me that stuff is easy. My 2006 E55 AMG, that's a WHOLE 'nuther story. My car also has the Harmon-Kardon system in it. The system worked well, and sounded just fine to me. I like good sound but I am hardly a real audiophile. I read about fiber optics, interfaces, etc, and most of that sails right over my old head. So, what I would like to do is boil down the issue into just a couple of basic questions.

1- Is it possible to buy a eBay android head unit, install it with the appropriate add on gadgets, and have absolutely everything work just as it did before - all the speakers, steering wheel controls, etc on sort of a plug -n- play basis?
If yes exactly what do I need to buy? What is the latest hottest Android head available now for the W211?

2- If the answer to question one above is no, what will NOT work? Is there any easy way around that ?

3- Any additional layman-speak tips on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
05 E55, 06 Audi S4
The fiber optics interface will make it plug and play. You will lose fade function because it only uses 1 set of l/r rcas. But it makes no difference. I have been impressed with my interface setup and it sounds much better than the factory hu did. I do not have the android radio in my car though... Its a Kenwood unit. But man do i wish there was that option when I changed my hu.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, 2018 Audi Q7, 2005 Porsche Boxster S, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 744HP 1965 Shelby Cobra
Originally Posted by forcefed4door
The fiber optics interface will make it plug and play. You will lose fade function because it only uses 1 set of l/r rcas. But it makes no difference. I have been impressed with my interface setup and it sounds much better than the factory hu did. I do not have the android radio in my car though... Its a Kenwood unit. But man do i wish there was that option when I changed my hu.
If I understand correctly, I buy the head unit and a fiber optic interface, and everything works, steering wheel controls work, all the speakers work. I just can't fade front to back. Is that right?
Old 03-01-2018, 05:43 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
2005 c230
if you have the in dash CD changer, you will lose that functionality as well/in addition to losing fade ability. In addition, on your instrument cluster, you will lose the track information that normally shows there. Steering wheel controls (with the right adapter) will be retained, but there will be a bit of noticeable lag/delay when you press the buttons. And skip the USB wifi via cellular module. Not sure you can find any providers in the USA that support it. You may also find it challenging to get the ODBII modules to fully work with Torque software used by he android headunits

Last edited by lseguy; 03-01-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E55
Stay Away

I can tell you from personal experience to stay away from Xtrons Android 7.0 head unit. The product did not come with any installation directions and it certainly was not plug and play. Total headache at best trying to figure which wires to tap into for the canbus module to work, not to mention the fiber optic adapter.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:45 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 c63s
Which Kenwood setup are you running?