W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member - "New" 09 E63 - Questions

Old 03-08-2018, 09:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 MB GLC300 4Matic Sport Package :: 2009 E63 AMG
New Member - "New" 09 E63 - Questions

Hey all - I recently purchased a new-to-me 2009 E63 with around 84K miles - impeccable dealer maintained history, California car, and passed the dealer pre-purchase inspection with only needing the valve cover gaskets replaced, a light bulb, and key fob battery. The dealer also checked the headbolts and cam adjusters / lifters while the valve covers were off and said they were good.

I didn't need this car, but I did want a new daily driver that was a little more exciting than my old Corolla. I was mentally prepared for the service and maintenance changes going from a Corolla to an AMG but still had some questions for those who are more familiar with the platform and the M156.

- Day 3 of owning the car I get a gut punch "top off coolant" warning when starting the car - I top it off and tell myself to diligently keep an eye on it
- Week 3 of owning the car there is a decent amount of oil dripping onto my garage floor - I can't quite tell where the issue is coming from so I take it to the dealer (different dealer than the one who did the PPI)
- Week 4 of owning the car the COMAND ate all my CD's and is now stuck in a perpetual "cd changer motor running" for the first minute or two after first starting the car. It won't play audio until the CD changer motor stops running.

Dealer says the valve covers are leaking - so they replace the valve cover gaskets and did it under a MB parts warranty since the PPI work was completed by a dealer. I have them diagnose the cooling system because of the warning I got originally and they said there were no issues. They steam cleaned the engine and sent me on my way.

Now we're 5 weeks into ownership and the valve cover gaskets are leaking again. I dove into the VMI and gave it a closer look - it looks like the valve cover gasket issue started last year with the previous owner and were replaced before I even originally had them replaced in the PPI.

1. What is the deal with the valve cover gaskets? Is this a red herring?
2. Coolant system came back as "fine" and head bolts / cam adjusters and lifters were "fine" - I'd be willing to go ahead and get them replaced for piece of mind, recommended? Any shops near Arlington, VA recommended?
3. I have some really good mix tapes stuck in the COMAND, anyone ever take it apart?

Thats one hell of an introduction - I'm not new to auto forums but am new to this one. I did some searching across M156 platforms with the valve cover gaskets and didn't seem to see any perpetual issues. I'll add that the worst part of all of this is that I am currently under a "tracking" period with my insurance company so I have a tracker plugged into my OBDII port - which means zero hard accelerations or braking...the car has literally not gone beyond 2500 rpm since I've had it.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Originally Posted by 4ShoreRunner
I'll add that the worst part of all of this is that I am currently under a "tracking" period with my insurance company so I have a tracker plugged into my OBDII port - which means zero hard accelerations or braking...the car has literally not gone beyond 2500 rpm since I've had it.
Is that for some extra discount or just a thing your insurance company does? Sounds like some bull**** if it's the latter and I'd find a different company. Or is it a state mandated thing?
Old 03-08-2018, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Strigoi
Is that for some extra discount or just a thing your insurance company does? Sounds like some bull**** if it's the latter and I'd find a different company. Or is it a state mandated thing?
Extra discount, totally voluntary, and only for the first 90 days of ownership of a new vehicle - I've done it with all my vehicles and have gotten around 25% off. I'll endure 90 days of pure torture for 25% off and then be able to rip this thing once the evaluation period is over
Old 03-08-2018, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
For that kind of discount I'd probably do it as well if my company offered that.

Do you have to put a certain amount of miles on the car or could you just let it sit in the garage most of the time?
Old 03-08-2018, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Strigoi
For that kind of discount I'd probably do it as well if my company offered that.

Do you have to put a certain amount of miles on the car or could you just let it sit in the garage most of the time?
I've let another vehicle sit since it isn't my DD and it seemed like the discount didn't rack up as much or as quickly as a DD would. They must have some sort of weighted formula with usage.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 514 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Originally Posted by 4ShoreRunner
Hey all - I recently purchased a new-to-me 2009 E63 with around 84K miles - impeccable dealer maintained history, California car, and passed the dealer pre-purchase inspection with only needing the valve cover gaskets replaced, a light bulb, and key fob battery. The dealer also checked the headbolts and cam adjusters / lifters while the valve covers were off and said they were good.

I didn't need this car, but I did want a new daily driver that was a little more exciting than my old Corolla. I was mentally prepared for the service and maintenance changes going from a Corolla to an AMG but still had some questions for those who are more familiar with the platform and the M156.

- Day 3 of owning the car I get a gut punch "top off coolant" warning when starting the car - I top it off and tell myself to diligently keep an eye on it
- Week 3 of owning the car there is a decent amount of oil dripping onto my garage floor - I can't quite tell where the issue is coming from so I take it to the dealer (different dealer than the one who did the PPI)
- Week 4 of owning the car the COMAND ate all my CD's and is now stuck in a perpetual "cd changer motor running" for the first minute or two after first starting the car. It won't play audio until the CD changer motor stops running.

Dealer says the valve covers are leaking - so they replace the valve cover gaskets and did it under a MB parts warranty since the PPI work was completed by a dealer. I have them diagnose the cooling system because of the warning I got originally and they said there were no issues. They steam cleaned the engine and sent me on my way.

Now we're 5 weeks into ownership and the valve cover gaskets are leaking again. I dove into the VMI and gave it a closer look - it looks like the valve cover gasket issue started last year with the previous owner and were replaced before I even originally had them replaced in the PPI.

1. What is the deal with the valve cover gaskets? Is this a red herring?
2. Coolant system came back as "fine" and head bolts / cam adjusters and lifters were "fine" - I'd be willing to go ahead and get them replaced for piece of mind, recommended? Any shops near Arlington, VA recommended?
3. I have some really good mix tapes stuck in the COMAND, anyone ever take it apart?

Thats one hell of an introduction - I'm not new to auto forums but am new to this one. I did some searching across M156 platforms with the valve cover gaskets and didn't seem to see any perpetual issues. I'll add that the worst part of all of this is that I am currently under a "tracking" period with my insurance company so I have a tracker plugged into my OBDII port - which means zero hard accelerations or braking...the car has literally not gone beyond 2500 rpm since I've had it.
I am so glad that I came across this post. I had my valve cover gaskets replaced as well, but only the drivers side was leaking. We ended up replacing it twice, until we finally realized it was the cam adjuster housing on the front of the valve cover that was really the culprit.
And since you live in Arlington, and I live in Annandale VA, take you car over to my boys at Benz elite Automotive, their certified Mercedes AMG techs, that work at formally American Service Center now called MB of Arlington. Please call Emile or Eddie at 703-370-1221, their located on Eisenhower Ave in Alexandria, down the street from the Van Dorn Metro Station at 4556 Eisenhower Ave, Alexandria, VA 22304, and tell them that Mr. Jones sent you. Anyway these guys trained under my friend Jack, who's the Shop Foreman and AMG Master Tech at the dealership. So I know they know their stuff, and I get both of my cars serviced thru them. In fact I was at the shop on Tuesday, to diagnose a transmission issue on my Audi, that so happens to just be low of transmission fluid, after a recent Trans service. The machinery extracts the old trans fluid and supposed to measures out the correct amount of new fluid, but actually left me a 1 1/2 quarts low, so the car didn't want to engage drive, Tuesday morning. So they had their system re-calibrated. And I plan to drop off my E63 to them tomorrow to install my new fog lights. Both fog lights glass housings are cracked, this was discovered during my recent safety inspection. So they are going to apply 3M PPF to offer better protection from debris. Their pricing is certainly cheaper than any dealership pricing. And they recently replaced my oil cooler return lines O-Rings, that were leaking on my AMG. They were in a very tight spot on the side of the engine block, very hard to get at. But call them or take your car over there, for an estimate, and tell them Mr. Jones sent you. They would appreciate that I mentioned them to you.

William
The following users liked this post:
4ShoreRunner (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,146 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
MB offers a 12 month/12k warranty on all work they do. I am curious about the head bolts though. I didn't think an inspection could tell you that they are good, it was a defective part that didn't get updated til 2011.

I have never used the cd player. Mine had an ipod cable. I think your newer version of ntg should have an ipod cable available or have bluetooth audio available.

You can either take apart the CD player or get a used one on eBay or get a bypass loop and just skip the CD player.
4ShoreRunner (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 337 Likes on 289 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
4SHORERUNNER Stick it out with the tracker. We did it on 3 car's in the house at the same time and knocked 25% off the yearly premium off all three. Unfortunately it really makes you aware of your driving but hang in there for 3 months and your all set!!
4ShoreRunner (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 11:38 AM

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
E55 amg
Well this the thing with these cars or used cars in general many will sell them do to headches and sell there lessons to people who basically get a curve ball instead of a nice straight pitch .90% of used cars are pile of junk boxes this why they sell them .If I was you I would fix those covers and sell that bomb ASAP
Old 03-09-2018, 09:19 PM

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Scheduled service with Benz Elite Automotive per @Yuille36 's recommendation.

I don't think I picked up one of the junk boxes, but I do think these are complicated machine's that require respect when owning, maintaining, and driving them. I look forward to sticking around awhile!

I'll reply with what the shop finds - hopefully it may help someone else who is having issues with VCG's in the future.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:33 PM

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
a unicorn tuned p30 e63
Welcome to the forums. Sounds like you got hit with a little bad luck. The command changed in 09 in our cars and its a really nice unit, sucks you got the cds stuck in there. I’m sure you can pull it apart, you can find some on eBay for decent money. The valve cover thing is strange but it always seems like all of these amg cars have their own little thing. I bought my 09 e63 last year with 43k on it and had it inspected by a lead amg tech at my dealer, car was flawless, still smelled new. 3 weeks, wheel bearing failure, smoked the rotor, the entire bearing and hub assembly, out of no where, I think the bill at the dealer was 4-5k and I hadn’t had my warranty 30 days so it was tough to get them to pay that, then sunroof motor broke and ac blower motor, and recently front right air shock. Crazy. Still love the car though, hope your issues get resolved, at least ur not alone haha
4ShoreRunner (03-12-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the welcome and tips everyone!

A little update on what was found and the work that was completed:
1. Oil leak was actually coming from the "front cover seals". They've been replaced...keeping my fingers crossed it did the trick this time.
2. The coolant system went through a pressure test and the headbolts checked out to be OK. I did end up needing a new thermostat but I'll take that over headbolt replacement any day of the week.

Work was performed by Benz Elite Automotive in Alexandria, VA as recommended by @Yuille36 (thank you!) - granted I've only been there once, I was impressed with all my interactions with them!

(Oh - and my prized mix tape collection remains stuck in the CD Changer. I'll yank it and tinker when I have more time)