Sponsored by:

IC Pump Amps/Suggestion/Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 11:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
IC Pump Amps/Suggestion/Questions

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum, been reading a ton here since I found my E55 project in 1/18 though. It's come a long way.

I'm a perpetual newbie when it comes to electrical engineering, so apologies in advance for any facepalms.

A few questions about IC pump installation proceedure-

1. I haven't seen any info about the benefits of running a battery to the pump's terminals, compared with plugging it in and starting the car to bleed the system. Why not run the car to do it? Seems like a few people do it that way.

2. Will a trickle charger suffice? If so, how many amps are required to run the pump? What happens if you run too few or too many?

I'm leaning toward placing an alligator clip on the positive terminal, with some electrical tape on one side, to keep it off the negative post.

3. It kind of looks like these little circular posts on either side of the Bosch 010 electrical plug are designed to take current? I won't know until I get underneath the car and shift things around, but it seems like it could be pretty easy to tape a wire to each post, and juice it that way.
Attached Thumbnails IC Pump Amps/Suggestion/Questions-20180731_231514.jpg   IC Pump Amps/Suggestion/Questions-20180731_231642.jpg   IC Pump Amps/Suggestion/Questions-20180731_233321.jpg  
Old 08-01-2018, 11:49 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
2005 c230
This thread help any?
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ent-notes.html
Old 08-01-2018, 03:53 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Good luck getting wires onto those tiny posts that are very close to each other. Check the link below in my signature. It is very easy to run the pump in car. It is not easy to bleed a pump while you are driving, some people are able to engage the pump while in idle, others not.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 166 Likes on 137 Posts
2019 Jeep Trackhawk, 2002 CLK55, 2014 911 Carrera
You can get the pump to turn on with the car idling in park by stabbing the throttle to the floor for a split-second. Just make sure the pedal goes all the way down and presses the little button on the floor and make sure the engine is up to temp.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:17 AM

Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by Wrench/Rip
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum, been reading a ton here since I found my E55 project in 1/18 though. It's come a long way.

I'm a perpetual newbie when it comes to electrical engineering, so apologies in advance for any facepalms.

A few questions about IC pump installation proceedure-

1. I haven't seen any info about the benefits of running a battery to the pump's terminals, compared with plugging it in and starting the car to bleed the system. Why not run the car to do it? Seems like a few people do it that way.

2. Will a trickle charger suffice? If so, how many amps are required to run the pump? What happens if you run too few or too many?

I'm leaning toward placing an alligator clip on the positive terminal, with some electrical tape on one side, to keep it off the negative post.

3. It kind of looks like these little circular posts on either side of the Bosch 010 electrical plug are designed to take current? I won't know until I get underneath the car and shift things around, but it seems like it could be pretty easy to tape a wire to each post, and juice it that way.
1. Yes, bleed it by running the car. You can jumper the relay for the pump in the trunk to force it to run. There is a thread around here some where with pictures showing you exactly where to jumper. You dont actually need the car on this way but better to pull that power from your alternator than the battery. If you dont find the relay you need to jumped I can help you out later tonight.

2. No need for trickle charger just turn the car on and do it as mentioned above.

3. Again, I wouldn't bother with trying to jumper the pump up, just hook it up normal and jumper the relay.

Edit: read through this post from tw2: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/676861-another-diy-intercooler-pump-guide-without-deleted-pictures.html

Last edited by drothgeb; 08-02-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
I just finished replacing the pump, and am moving on to bleeding now.

I had read the posts you all mentioned, but I had misread some info tw2 noted in his write-up and thought there was a step missing somewhere. Makes perfect sense, props on the fuse idea. That was smart.

Only suggestion I could think of during the install- looking through the fog light mesh helped me see what was going on better when I was reinstalling the pump clamp.

Thanks a lot everyone. Once again your charity has permanantly raised a man's average WHP today. Haha.