MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   83mm or 80mm Pulley Clutched. (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/713128-83mm-80mm-pulley-clutched.html)

karpetcm 07-07-2018 02:34 PM

83mm or 80mm Pulley Clutched.

I live in California, if i go headers they will be shorties and wont be done till down the line. Smog restrictions and visual inspections plus the headache paying someone if you find someone to pass smog is a complete and utter headache.

Now i got the headers out of the way because that always comes up, im kinda torn not sure wether i should do a 83mm pulley or 80. Dont want to go too crazy on pulley size because a 77 will require way more then the cooling mods i have plus injectors to be safe. My goal is to be about 460-470rwhp as we speak im about 434rwhp. For people who are using a phone i have a Superflow IC Pump and VRP Secondary H/E. I havent seen any threads on 80mm pullies and peoples experience with it.

tw2 07-07-2018 05:33 PM

It's a new pulley size that only VRP makes so not many would have tried it yet and the tuning may not be dialled in 100% for it either. Cooling for 77mm is pretty much just heat exchanger and pump so you don't have to rule it out for a street driven car at least. I find the 83 insane enough but 77 would definitely get your goal.

shardul 07-07-2018 07:24 PM

We have the 83mm and 77mm in stock

gjunon 07-07-2018 08:07 PM

Why not upgrade your throttle body? Can make some nice HP increases with the headers instead of a smaller sc pulley?

karpetcm 07-07-2018 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by gjunon (Post 7496761)
Why not upgrade your throttle body? Can make some nice HP increases with the headers instead of a smaller sc pulley?

a TB makes more power then pulley? Although it will make power, doubt it will be more then a 80 or 84mm pulley. There are alot of mods i can do to this car, i wanna stay for right now to either a 80 or 84mm pulley. Maybe down the road when i do shorty headers, if i do then i might do TB but again i wanna stay on the pulley route for now.

gjunon 07-07-2018 08:29 PM

A TB will not make more HP than a smaller pulley.

As for HP gains with an 82mm TB you would be looking at 20-30HP as seems to be the consensus on the forum.

As for power here is a nice little formula for hp gain per mm of pulley size lost. https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ize-boost.html

karpetcm 07-07-2018 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by gjunon (Post 7496767)
A TB will not make more HP than a smaller pulley.

As for HP gains with an 82mm TB you would be looking at 20-30HP as seems to be the consensus on the forum.

As for power here is a nice little formula for hp gain per mm of pulley size lost. https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ize-boost.html

i think after i do a pulley, i can start working on other stuff like TB and Shorty Headers. Read the post so in excellent conditions 1psi of boost is about 14rwhp if all is perfect. With a 80mm pulley and tune generally i should gain about 35-40rwhp.

tw2 07-08-2018 01:33 AM

I would recommend read all the posts about people having trouble with throttle body upgrades. You really spin the wheel of fortune on that one and some people can never get their car back to normal even going back to a stock 74mm TB. Some people it works perfectly but a back to back dyno with other mods showed only a 10whp difference 82mm vs stock TB, worth the risk?

By shorty headers, hopefully you mean mid length? Shorties (keep stock downpipes with huge restriction + cats) are a wasted modification on these engines.

karpetcm 07-08-2018 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by tw2 (Post 7496865)
I would recommend read all the posts about people having trouble with throttle body upgrades. You really spin the wheel of fortune on that one and some people can never get their car back to normal even going back to a stock 74mm TB. Some people it works perfectly but a back to back dyno with other mods showed only a 10whp difference 82mm vs stock TB, worth the risk?

By shorty headers, hopefully you mean mid length? Shorties (keep stock downpipes with huge restriction + cats) are a wasted modification on these engines.

if i have to go mid’s it would have to have high flow cats installed. So im gonna put headers off for a while. Not worth it in cali at all. Jerry from eurocharged emailed me back a couple of weeks ago said no problem on the tune for a 80mm pulley. Just up in the air about the size if pulley is the 80 worth it or do a 83.

tw2 07-08-2018 01:51 AM

Yep I would stay stock exhaust if I were you unless you later on consider mid or full length headers with cats. Shorties will not yield much at all except possibly unreliability and annoying temperature related sounds. The only major restriction in the whole exhaust is the stock manifold flange and opposing downpipe flange. This is the goal to eliminate. Just get an 83mm and see how you like it. I can't get traction until over 100km/hr in the dry. You can always change it to smaller later. Eurocharged have a very reasonable $35 retune fee and I am sure it is not hard to sell pulleys. Eurocharged or shardul often do a good deal for pulley/tune.

karpetcm 07-08-2018 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by tw2 (Post 7496871)
Yep I would stay stock exhaust if I were you unless you later on consider mid or full length headers with cats. Shorties will not yield much at all except possibly unreliability and annoying temperature related sounds. The only major restriction in the whole exhaust is the stock manifold flange and opposing downpipe flange. This is the goal to eliminate. Just get an 83mm and see how you like it. I can't get traction until over 100km/hr in the dry. You can always change it to smaller later. Eurocharged have a very reasonable $35 retune fee and I am sure it is not hard to sell pulleys. Eurocharged or shardul often do a good deal for pulley/tune.

ya the 83 with tune ahould be about 30hp and this being a daily driver i should be fine. I see people replacing spark plugs to a colder version as well with 77mm pullies is that necessary with a 83mm pulley. I just put new ones a couple weeks ago.

tw2 07-08-2018 02:13 AM

Stock heat range will be fine.

karpetcm 07-08-2018 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by tw2 (Post 7496878)
Stock heat range will be fine.

Thank You for the advice tw2. 👍

PieRat 07-08-2018 02:52 AM

You can keep stock plugs with the 77 id say. You could go 77mm plus upgraded heat exchanger or water meth or killer chiller for strong power off the bat and less chance on doubling pullies if your hungry for power. If the car is already a handful to you, 80 or 83 would be good. While its true 80mm is new. I think tuning shouldnt be too hard, different pullies pull different boost at different altitiudes and tthey can predict the amount on the size so not too risky in my opinion but im no expert.

I think shorties can yield 12 wheel but give you header tick which personally i dont like the sound of but woth mid or long its worth the tick for the power gainz. Ill let you know if lsd is worth it shortly. Just gotta get back from holiday to install..

Das Geld 2 07-10-2018 11:53 PM

Can I go one step colder while stock? planning install 83mm soon. I already have the plugs.

PieRat 07-11-2018 12:06 AM

Yeah definitely (i did no problems).

Das Geld 2 07-19-2018 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by PieRat (Post 7499206)
Yeah definitely (i did no problems).

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...b207e4f39.jpeg
72k Miles 14 year old plugs. Shop was like why are you changing them -.-

they said tip tip looks good..make me feel better lmao

Das Geld 2 07-19-2018 01:41 PM

Update super smooth idle and power delivery. Def worth it!

carguyshu 07-19-2018 03:41 PM

an 80mm supercharger pulley will be similar to around a 172mm crank pulley and there are plenty of threads on those if you want to see reviews on that size. there are lots of guys that had 180mm cranks (same as 77mm supercharger) that ran slower times due to timing being cut from heat even if they had longtubes and tons of cooling as an FYI. more pulley isn't always better. if you are just doing short bursts on the street the 180 or 77 will make a ton more torque, but that comes with a cost. Most guys go back to a less aggressive pulley that track as they get more consistent times

karpetcm 07-19-2018 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by carguyshu (Post 7505759)
an 80mm supercharger pulley will be similar to around a 172mm crank pulley and there are plenty of threads on those if you want to see reviews on that size. there are lots of guys that had 180mm cranks (same as 77mm supercharger) that ran slower times due to timing being cut from heat even if they had longtubes and tons of cooling as an FYI. more pulley isn't always better. if you are just doing short bursts on the street the 180 or 77 will make a ton more torque, but that comes with a cost. Most guys go back to a less aggressive pulley that track as they get more consistent times

I did initially order a 77mm pulley but changed it to a 80mm pulley instead. So its purchased and its on the way, just went with the 80mm and called it a day. With the cooling I have I should be ok for a once in a while run here and there. Im gonna mostly focus on how to get around this header's issue I really want Long Tubes but California sucks bad. Id like to run it with 4 high flow cats but then im looking at it being really expensive.

Das Geld 2 07-20-2018 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by carguyshu (Post 7505759)

really good post and glad I got the 83mm

Das Geld 2 07-21-2018 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Das Geld 2 (Post 7505646)
Update super smooth idle and power delivery. Def worth it!

car now smells like gas fumes especially when I opened the engine bay. Is it the one step colder plugs?

not burning fuel fast enough...

never had this before the plugs

karpetcm 07-21-2018 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Das Geld 2 (Post 7507750)

car now smells like gas fumes especially when I opened the engine bay. Is it the one step colder plugs?

not burning fuel fast enough...

never had this before the plugs

look under hood see if wires
are tightly on plugs, maybe a bad plug as well.

Das Geld 2 07-21-2018 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by karpetcm (Post 7507752)

look under hood see if wires
are tightly on plugs, maybe a bad plug as well.

all brand new..that would be weird. Car runs perfectly..just did a search coulda be a fuel rail? Did the shop sabtaoge it during install lmao

PieRat 07-21-2018 06:17 PM

If you take off your plastic intake when looking sth the engine fro the front on the right side youll see a metal braided line going inti the furl rail, make sure thats tight with a spanner. Mine was loose once and leaked petrol onto the engine cover, it was so strange id never heard petrol crackle before as it evaporated on hot engine...it didnt ignite thank the lordie...