W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E63 - “quarter inch of toe all the way around”?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 12:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG E63
E63 - “quarter inch of toe all the way around”?!

Hey forum members- first post and looking for opinions. I took my 2009 AMG E63 sedan over to a well regarded local alignment shop for a quick tweak before I install my new Pilot Super Sports. The front tires that came on my car are worn on the inside drastically compared rears after only 10k miles of mostly interstate travel: The tech did not give me printouts but claims he put in “1/4” of toe-in all the way around.” I’m not sure I like the decision made by the shop as far as new settings. Seems like an awful lot of toe. Online conversion calculators show 1/4” = 0.28 deg toe in, more than double max factory limit. Do you all think he meant “total toe” which reads out higher as it is a cumulative measurement? Maybe I just misunderstood the lingo, but I had no idea how much 1/4” was at the time given my expectation to get a metric measurement.

Alignment guy was really nice and came well regarded by an Indy Benz shop in my area. He claims this setting will help compensate for inner tire wear by “pulling the tire out.” Wouldn’t that just make the outsides feather/ wear too? My camber was -2.1 in back and -2.18 in front in the normal height setting (vehicle not “raised”). It was -1.75 and -1.9 in the higher ride setting. I’m lowered ~20mm up front and ~10mm in rear using adjustable links.

I don’t want to scrub down a $1000 set of Michelin’s rapidly so looking to figure this out in advance if I can help it. I was also hoping to avoid needing to install the K-Mac bushings if possible as there are virtually no signs or symptoms of wear and tear on suspension bushings/ball joints.

So again, am I missing something or does .28 def toe-in make sense?
Thanks!
Old 07-30-2018, 03:09 PM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
W210 DRFT BNZ
That's aggressive for sure. It will make for an interesting car but it will cost you a pretty penny, as you've figured out already.

Gotta love the miscommunications of per-side versus total. Basically, printout or bust kind of a sitch.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:05 PM

AMG E63
Thanks

Originally Posted by jumph4x
That's aggressive for sure. It will make for an interesting car but it will cost you a pretty penny, as you've figured out already.

Gotta love the miscommunications of per-side versus total. Basically, printout or bust kind of a sitch.
Jump - thanks... yeah at this point I feel like I’m going to have to get re-aligned anyway so might as well do these Kmacs and probably do ball joints while I’m under there.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
The first thing an expert alignment guy should be doing is just check the front end for wear components.
Being lowered will not help with extended tire wear but sure looks good to the tire companies with increased sales.
Just how does the car handle after the specialty setup
Old 07-31-2018, 06:41 AM

AMG E63
Originally Posted by Critter
The first thing an expert alignment guy should be doing is just check the front end for wear components.
Being lowered will not help with extended tire wear but sure looks good to the tire companies with increased sales.
Just how does the car handle after the specialty setup
I agree, but fender gap is a pet peeve of mine. I may raise the rear up to stock so it doesn’t tuck, but the front is staying!! Car seemed tighter and tracked straighter after alignment. Only driven it 5 miles so far 😬