Sponsored by:

Disappointing track times

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 e55
Originally Posted by drothgeb
It's not based off the tuner, timing being pulled based on IAT is factory and the tuners don't adjust it. Not sure if they know how too or not.

WOW. Timing cuts start at 95*F- IAT temps that is crazy!

Seeing this makes me seriously consider doing a killer chiller or meth kit. My old Ford Lightning didnt start cutting timing until 160*

Last edited by Drew Durham; 10-15-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:33 PM

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Drew Durham
I do not to my knowledge have any aftermarket heat exchanger, however it is painted black. I was actually looking at getting a secondary, would this be a better option then replacing the stocker with a larger unit?

Im going to hold off on the tuning until after i get some colder weather. If the track times are still down ill look into different tuning options

Your not going to see your peek temps come down or come down by much with a secondary, I know through weeks of testing. It will recover quicker but recover quicker to what. If it's 90+ outside you can pretty much forget it. Given that you want to track it once in a while and its most likely going to be warm I would recommend killer chiller. The secondary as in my case works well for normal driving and not too warm weather. At the end the only real thing that will drop those temps is the KC driving around not worrying about flipping switches or refilling anything.

The following users liked this post:
Drew Durham (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 166 Likes on 137 Posts
2019 Jeep Trackhawk, 2002 CLK55, 2014 911 Carrera
+1 for the Killer Chiller. If you ever race at the dragstrip, a bigger H/X won't do you any good until the car is moving and by then you've already given up a bunch of ET. Sitting in the staging lanes on a hot day can have your starting IAT's be over 120.

I installed a Killer Chiller with a front mount tank to replace the H/X and I've never looked back. Now my starting IAT's are around 55 degrees, regardless of weather. They still rise about 60 degrees during a 1/4 mile run, but ending up at 115 is much better than ending up at 165. Plus I don't have to worry about toting around bags of ice and hoping it won't melt if the car in front of me oils down the track.

The only downside I have seen is that on a hot day it takes about 5 minutes for the cabin temp to drop because you are cooling a gallon or two of hot water if it's been sitting in the heat all day.
The following users liked this post:
Drew Durham (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 09:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CLS63
It's not based off the tuner, timing being pulled based on IAT is factory and the tuners don't adjust it. Not sure if they know how too or not.

I have wondered the same thing. Why cant the tuner raise the threshold at which the ECU starts pulling timing? I know it's a safety thing as far as blowing your motor goes but if other cars don't start pulling timing until higher IATs why cant our cars have that threshold be a little higher? Maybe a tuner can chime in
Old 10-15-2018, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by Lriver1004
I have wondered the same thing. Why cant the tuner raise the threshold at which the ECU starts pulling timing? I know it's a safety thing as far as blowing your motor goes but if other cars don't start pulling timing until higher IATs why cant our cars have that threshold be a little higher? Maybe a tuner can chime in
Just because other cars can tolerate it, doesn't mean this one can. That's not how it works.

Most tuners don't remove safety things like that, because then you get "I had xxxxxx shop tune my car and my pistons cracked!!!!!"

I know when I tune cars for people, I don't remove IAT limiters or certain things that protect the car from an unknowing owner. In my personal car I can take the risk, because if I break it, I fix it. But I can't tell a guy (Everyone wants 'max power, but safe' tunes BTW) that if I remove this stuff, the car will be a little faster when it's getting too hot, but if you keep pushing it, you can damage it. Safer to tune it to run well when it's all in the green, and back down to be safe when it's too hot.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Just because other cars can tolerate it, doesn't mean this one can. That's not how it works.

Most tuners don't remove safety things like that, because then you get "I had xxxxxx shop tune my car and my pistons cracked!!!!!"

I know when I tune cars for people, I don't remove IAT limiters or certain things that protect the car from an unknowing owner. In my personal car I can take the risk, because if I break it, I fix it. But I can't tell a guy (Everyone wants 'max power, but safe' tunes BTW) that if I remove this stuff, the car will be a little faster when it's getting too hot, but if you keep pushing it, you can damage it. Safer to tune it to run well when it's all in the green, and back down to be safe when it's too hot.
Good to know. I can def see how someone could blame the tuner for blowing their engine as well even if they wanted the factory safety parameters removed. I was just wondering if it were even possible to remove them but toy started that you could remove from your own vehicle so I guess so.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by Lriver1004
Good to know. I can def see how someone could blame the tuner for blowing their engine as well even if they wanted the factory safety parameters removed. I was just wondering if it were even possible to remove them but toy started that you could remove from your own vehicle so I guess so.
My tuning has been through HP Tuners, Cobb and Megasquirt software, no Benz tuning yet but the theory is the same and the parameters are there on everything.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:01 AM

Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
My tuning has been through HP Tuners, Cobb and Megasquirt software, no Benz tuning yet but the theory is the same and the parameters are there on everything.
What ever you were tuning with HP/Cobb/Megasquirt was probably 100x more friendly than these german ECUs that appear to have been designed with pentagon level security.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
What ever you were tuning with HP/Cobb/Megasquirt was probably 100x more friendly than these german ECUs that appear to have been designed with pentagon level security.
Yes and no. HPT now has support for many Benz products.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Disappointing track times

I see comments by many recommending Raceiq for a ECU and TCU tune. Are they still in business? I've been trying to contact them over the past 2 weeks, left voice messages, sent emails and get no response. Any ideas?
Old 10-17-2018, 05:26 PM

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts
CLS55
Contact lukas edge on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/mr.edgeeee

tell em riley sent ya.