Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 04:26 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by failboat
Is the premium we pay for mbh/arh just for qualify/fitment?
I would say so, plus reliability. I would say it is worth it too.

Unless there are back to back dyno's of equal length long tubes vs non-equal length long tubes, I remain skeptical. Anything less than 5whp is irrelevant. Exhaust pulses travel very fast, you would have to have an absolutely perfect merge and precision tested setup to gain the benefits of pulse spacing. Making the length the approximate same doesn't necessarily give you the scavenging benefits. Race teams spend millions on R&D for this.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:40 PM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
CLK56TT (WIP), S65, RR 5.0 S/C
Originally Posted by tw2
I would say so, plus reliability. I would say it is worth it too.

Unless there are back to back dyno's of equal length long tubes vs non-equal length long tubes, I remain skeptical. Anything less than 5whp is irrelevant. Exhaust pulses travel very fast, you would have to have an absolutely perfect merge and precision tested setup to gain the benefits of pulse spacing. Making the length the approximate same doesn't necessarily give you the scavenging benefits. Race teams spend millions on R&D for this.
I don’t know where you get your information and skepticism from but you’re entitled to both of course.

I make my own headers and exhausts with absolute precision and perfect fitment. I take my time and never rush the job. I don’t have to stick to a budget. It’s a hobby that pays well. Maybe that’s why I have repeat business from racing guys.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:15 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
I don't know your background. I was assuming a local exhaust shop trying to make the best of it using good intentions. Unfortunately a proper equal length setup with real results is likely not feasible for most of us. The expertise is not common. Do you have a best guess on power improvement over stock headers?
Old 11-23-2018, 05:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
E55 AMG
Originally Posted by tw2
I don't know your background. I was assuming a local exhaust shop trying to make the best of it using good intentions. Unfortunately a proper equal length setup with real results is likely not feasible for most of us. The expertise is not common. Do you have a best guess on power improvement over stock headers?
Then you probably should not comment. I installed MBH LT headers as the first performance modification on my car and picked up 51 RWHP.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
none yet
Originally Posted by BRH AMG
Then you probably should not comment. I installed MBH LT headers as the first performance modification on my car and picked up 51 RWHP.
did you install the midsection too or just the headers?
Old 11-23-2018, 07:32 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
This is a discussion board. So I shouldn't comment because I don't know the life story of every member? Very few people here are master custom fabricators, obviously you are.
And are your MBH equal length with perfect scavenging?
The following users liked this post:
gblack32 (04-24-2022)
Old 11-23-2018, 08:12 PM

Received 137 Likes on 102 Posts
N/A
Originally Posted by Alex L
I haven’t done any tests on EL vs other Chinese crap, only Kleemann. My EL are in fact LT - the runners are 22.5” each. I’m in the process of fabbing a slightly bigger EL set for my E55 and will be going with tri-y collectors this time as I want to try and separate gases from consecutive firing cylinder in each bank. Positive pressure plays very little role in exhaust pulsing so whether it’s a “blown V8” or a N/A flat 6 is irrelevant. The car will have a bigger and less restrictive exhaust this time too so result might not be as clear cut but I will dyno the two sets for scientific purposes.
PS: Hampshire is nice. I’m an hour north of London in Bedfordshire. It has the least amount of annual precipitation in the UK which is great.
Alex,
Do you make or sell your headers? Sounds like it might be profitable to do so, just saying.
I know where Bedfordshire is, but have never been there. I plan on going back in a year or so. I actually want to go look at HMS Victory..

Old 11-23-2018, 08:16 PM

N/A
Sure he should, we are all trying to learn from others who have experience or knowledge. I think you kind of made tw2's point.

How was the fit on the MBH headers and was the wall thickness adequate? Any "tinny" noise I hear sometimes occours with the Chinese stuff?
Old 11-23-2018, 08:20 PM

N/A
Originally Posted by Alex L
Lemme see...

1. You said equal length headers don’t exist. I have them in my car.

2. I gained over 50whp by replacing Kleemann headers with them.

Think about that, the Kleeman headers are good for what 30 whp ? The EL headers picked up another 50 whp? That tells me the EL headers are a step up in flow and scavenging.

Last edited by Fountain35; 11-24-2018 at 02:16 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:45 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by failboat

did you install the midsection too or just the headers?
I had only installed the headers at that time, as well as the adapter pipes that were supplied. that eliminated the primary cats.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:57 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by tw2
This is a discussion board. So I shouldn't comment because I don't know the life story of every member? Very few people here are master custom fabricators, obviously you are.
And are your MBH equal length with perfect scavenging?
Alex has a highly modified car, and I believe he has done all his own work on his car. I also have a highly modified car and have done all the work on my car. What headers do you have on your car?
Does somebody with no experience with these mods have a better idea what works the best on these cars. "And are your MBH equal length with perfect scavenging." NO, but my car still makes more than 50
HP. more than yours.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:16 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Alex has a highly modified car, and I believe he has done all his own work on his car. I also have a highly modified car and have done all the work on my car. What headers do you have on your car?
Does somebody with no experience with these mods have a better idea what works the best on these cars. "And are your MBH equal length with perfect scavenging." NO, but my car still makes more than 50
HP. more than yours.
You seem quite insecure about your skills and your car. I don't know why. You seem to be threatened by me for some reason. I have a very mildly modified car, all my mods are in my signature (like most people to save time wasting in threads, not to show off), I currently have stock headers. I am 100% happy with my car. I did all the research, I had all the options and what you read is what I did, I would not have done it differently. I do plan to possibly get some custom made long tube headers fabricated locally in the next 1-2 years. In the meantime I am very comfortable with my car and it's performance, it suits me well. There will always be someone with a faster car, always. Your car probably makes much more than 50whp than mine, I have no idea what mods you have.

You assume you know what mods I have experience with just because I don't have them listed in my signature for my E55. This isn't my first car. Since you seem to want to prove you are better than me (which I am fine with) I have wired in standalone ecu's, sensors and tuned them, I have made intakes, upgraded cams, designed exhausts, designed and made turbo kits, replaced clutches, rebuilt engines, ported heads, made custom intake manifolds, designed fuel systems and plently of boring repairs and upgrades to suspension, brakes and a whole lot of other stuff. I decided a long time ago that I was not interested in welding as I believed that it required many years of practice and expense and I was happier paying someone to do a much better job than I could ever hope to achieve. My knowledge of long tubes consists of four books with 1-2 chapters dedicated to header theory and countless hours reading on the internet (for better or worse). Nothing more, nothing less. So far I can see your foray into header design theory and fabrication has been to pay money to MBH and I guess hopefully you installed them.

Unless you or someone else here has back to back dyno's of equal length vs non-equal length headers on the M113K engine then I guess none of us are entitled to discuss it. Most doctors don't have cancer, it doesn't stop them knowing more about it than their patients.
The following users liked this post:
GatorMB (12-09-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 05:24 PM

E55 AMG
No,No and, No. I, like you, am very happy with my car. The headers, the modified intercooler, the 82 MM Throttle body and the other things I have done to my
E55. I have made headers before and know the work that goes into getting the desired result. MBH headers are the best available for these cars. I'm not getting into a
pissing match with you. I have made a damn good living working in the professional racing industry for over 30 years. Championships are won on the racetrack not on
the internet. I work on the quickest and fastest accelerating cars on the planet. Good day.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:34 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
That's a shame as you seem to be quite knowledgeable I would still like to focus on the subject at hand if you are willing. My argument is simply that tuned longtube headers are very difficult to develop for most people here vs off the shelf "equal length" longtubes. We are talking street cars with occasional track days, not racing cars. I believe the expense would be great and the gains although tangible would be minimal. My understanding is that aside from a whole pile of very complex calculations there is a great deal of experience required in not just fabrication, but what works and what doesn't, and that like most car parts there are trade off's in the torque curve depending on what is focussed on.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 215 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
No,No and, No. I, like you, am very happy with my car. The headers, the modified intercooler, the 82 MM Throttle body and the other things I have done to my
E55. I have made headers before and know the work that goes into getting the desired result. MBH headers are the best available for these cars. I'm not getting into a
pissing match with you. I have made a damn good living working in the professional racing industry for over 30 years. Championships are won on the racetrack not on
the internet. I work on the quickest and fastest accelerating cars on the planet. Good day.
Well said and no BS.

You in Mooresville?
Old 11-24-2018, 05:49 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by tw2
That's a shame as you seem to be quite knowledgeable I would still like to focus on the subject at hand if you are willing. My argument is simply that tuned longtube headers are very difficult to develop for most people here vs off the shelf "equal length" longtubes. We are talking street cars with occasional track days, not racing cars. I believe the expense would be great and the gains although tangible would be minimal. My understanding is that aside from a whole pile of very complex calculations there is a great deal of experience required in not just fabrication, but what works and what doesn't, and that like most car parts there are trade off's in the torque curve depending on what is focussed on.
Yes, that's why those race teams you mentioned spend those millions of dollars.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:53 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by tlambert

Well said and no BS.

You in Mooresville?
Yes
Old 11-24-2018, 06:03 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Yes, that's why those race teams you mentioned spend those millions of dollars.
Good to know. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Yes
I’m in SC. Been there several times. A lot of cool businesses there.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Fountain35
Alex,
Do you make or sell your headers? Sounds like it might be profitable to do so, just saying.
I know where Bedfordshire is, but have never been there. I plan on going back in a year or so. I actually want to go look at HMS Victory..
I make EL headers but I wouldn't be able to compete with Chinese / budget sets as my costs are quite high due to time I spend making them. I am very particular and use hardware components from companies like Burns or BTB Exhausts partly because their stuff is perfectly made and partly due to not being set for tube forming/swaging just yet. This adds to the expense but also makes for a very smooth flowing exhaust system which helps get the most out of the engine.

HP. more than yours.
Thanks. I wouldn't be able to do everything just by myself - the project required a lot of research, knowledge and skill. Weistec built my engine after it was Darton sleeved by Steve @ RED. I've had help from a local CNC shop and a friend mechanic and terrorised a lot of people for advice. It was great to see it all coming along and work in the end though - it wasn't a walk in the park type build.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by tw2
Unless you or someone else here has back to back dyno's of equal length vs non-equal length headers on the M113K engine then I guess none of us are entitled to discuss it.
I wouldn't consider a dyno graph made by somebody elsewhere a be all / end all in headers decision process. Something that worked for one car may not have the same effect on another and there's generally a lot of parameters other than headers that affect the flow.

What I would rather do is follow the common knowledge and sense in exhaust gas flow and choose headers as close to perfect as possible. Or if you think you can make them yourself - which is not that difficult - this would ultimately mean spending a lot more time on the fit up than any commercial fabricator / contractor out there would. It is exactly what I did. Originally I wanted to buy a set of headers from a well known company in Italy but they raised their price by 35% and wouldn't honour the previous quote. I thought 'screw you, how hard could it possibly be?', bought a welder, some tube and a few weeks later made my own set. I took a short TIG welding course couple of years prior to but this was my first welding project. Looking at making another version of headers for the M113K and they would still have to be of equal length. This is a fundamental principle and even if there's only 5whp to be had over a un-EL set, I'm not cutting corners ;-)
Old 11-25-2018, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Alex from what I’ve seen of your car it doesn’t look like you cut corners!
Old 11-26-2018, 09:04 AM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
"I'm not getting into a
the internet. I work on the quickest and fastest accelerating cars on the planet. Good day."

ReplyThis must be the most humble statement i have ever read ;-)
Old 12-01-2018, 03:57 PM

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts
2006 E55
“I work on the quickest and fastest accelerating cars on the planet.”/QUOTE]

What would that “quickest and fastest accelerating cars” BE? AN E55 AMG???
Old 12-01-2018, 03:58 PM

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by MSG 55G
“I work on the quickest and fastest accelerating cars on the planet.”/QUOTE]

What would that “quickest and fastest accelerating cars” BE? AN E55 AMG???
with Cheap Chinese LTH I’m assuming

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Chinese Longtubes vs Reputable Mid’s