Sponsored by:

715WHP E55 Race IQ tuned

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 03:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
none yet
Originally Posted by Brian420

Hello , Ahmad told me you guys were talking about my car !? 😎😁 I am the owner of this 55 . I hand built on my own . Can’t belive you guys made a thread , about my car . I’m on my phone right now . When I get to a PC, I will respond to comments .

I’m glad you are chiming in man! We have lots of questions...

1/4 mile times and tell us about the build to start!
Old 01-30-2019, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 290 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Yes by all means chime in and tell all !!!!
Old 02-10-2019, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
For the longest time the W211 forum has always been the spot to see new 10 second passes. I thought we would have seen some proof of this car by now. It gets old hearing of so called power levels and then never seeing a time slip. Lots complain of southern heat, but its been a pretty cool winter giving most of the country the opportunity to show what their car can do at the track. If getting to the track is too much, grab a Dragy for a simple basis of comparison for all to see. There is really no excuses unless its all about making a cool video trailer to a movie that will never make it in the theaters.

Making true power, getting through the gears and putting it to the ground are all factors needed to make a car quick, not just a glory pass on the dyno as a claim to fame. I hope to see this car get it done. Many of the V8TT cars might be making enough power, but without a decent 60 ft most end up as low 11 second cars. For me, if I could only get my car down to 4,000 lbs boy would it be a lot faster and probably break a lot less parts. I do have plans for some weight savings, but nothing close to 650 lbs. I'll post my results if things work out.

To the owner and others, I wish you the best of luck. Get out to the track and lets see some new 10 second passes
Old 02-10-2019, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 215 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Well said. I’ve been working on getting mine back there.

Doesn’t seem like members now are into the speed like a lot were several years ago.

But there are plenty of header and muffler threads. Hahaha
Old 02-10-2019, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 139 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
I really wonder how many miles are on this car. OP get back in here.

I daily my E55 with 152k miles. It's lightly modded (mid length headers, 72mm pulley with bwk, no cats, upgraded h/e with split cooling but no tank, and 1 step colder plugs), and I definitely drive it hard, but I just get paranoid that I have a catastrophic engine failure in my future. The few instances of the oil pickup gasket killing motors put the fear of God in me.

doesn't help I have a header leak and if I did have a bad knock going on, I can't distinguish the sound against the header leak.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 290 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Sulaco I was the same way. Car ran great but.......... I pulled the engine and trans out for a freshen up. Now I can race with piece of mind. Very easy to work on as well, just a little different in the thought process on how those Germans build thing's for sure !!!
Old 02-11-2019, 01:33 AM

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by RaceHorse
For the longest time the W211 forum has always been the spot to see new 10 second passes. I thought we would have seen some proof of this car by now. It gets old hearing of so called power levels and then never seeing a time slip. Lots complain of southern heat, but its been a pretty cool winter giving most of the country the opportunity to show what their car can do at the track. If getting to the track is too much, grab a Dragy for a simple basis of comparison for all to see. There is really no excuses unless its all about making a cool video trailer to a movie that will never make it in the theaters.

Making true power, getting through the gears and putting it to the ground are all factors needed to make a car quick, not just a glory pass on the dyno as a claim to fame. I hope to see this car get it done. Many of the V8TT cars might be making enough power, but without a decent 60 ft most end up as low 11 second cars. For me, if I could only get my car down to 4,000 lbs boy would it be a lot faster and probably break a lot less parts. I do have plans for some weight savings, but nothing close to 650 lbs. I'll post my results if things work out.

To the owner and others, I wish you the best of luck. Get out to the track and lets see some new 10 second passes
Not everyone are track guys. I personally know the owner and he’s a good friend of mine. Just spoke to him last night about his progress. He prefers the street like myself. Tracks can be manipulated. There’s a reason people go to certain tracks for fast times. He doesn’t have a drag wheel set up yet and isn’t close to done with the car. Still on his 19” AMG wheels. No point in going down the track with no tire. Once he’s done then he’ll be hitting the track. All he did was post a video on YouTube of his progress. Someone makes a thread about it and everyone keeps asking where’s the slip. Give the guy a chance. He’s a work horse that works 6-7 days a week. I did convince him to get a dragy back in Oct/Nov. and he did a 60-130 spinning half the run. He did 6.85 on 19s.
View this post on Instagram

Last edited by Das_it16; 02-11-2019 at 02:08 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:43 AM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
CLK56TT (WIP), S65, RR 5.0 S/C
There’s still a few of us around who’s into big power and top speed. No pressure from me and thumbs up to the owner. Takes time to make things work right when you’re past “pulley and map” type mods.

Last edited by Alex L; 02-11-2019 at 03:46 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
e500
Thanks guys for the kind words . To the people who keep throwing the track talk around ,I have never been a track guy ! I have owned these car for past 10+ yrs .. I enjoy building engines and setups from the ground up ..
I have removed the Supercharger and doing a Twin Turbo setup. With a goal of about 800-900HP for now , until I sleeve my spare block . I will make a post here showing my progress . I will also be jigging my kit, And offering kits for a Bargain .
Trying to bring new life to old platform . E55 has always been my favorite car . Why would you put all this work in a old 55? Because its the car I love , Car i have always loved . Some people don't know class , which is fine . This era of benz is the last of dieing breed !
The following users liked this post:
Ozie55 (05-13-2020)
Old 02-11-2019, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 103 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
Originally Posted by Brian420
Thanks guys for the kind words . To the people who keep throwing the track talk around ,I have never been a track guy ! I have owned these car for past 10+ yrs .. I enjoy building engines and setups from the ground up ..
I have removed the Supercharger and doing a Twin Turbo setup. With a goal of about 800-900HP for now , until I sleeve my spare block . I will make a post here showing my progress . I will also be jigging my kit, And offering kits for a Bargain .
Trying to bring new life to old platform . E55 has always been my favorite car . Why would you put all this work in a old 55? Because its the car I love , Car i have always loved . Some people don't know class , which is fine . This era of benz is the last of dieing breed !

this is an awesome motor
Old 02-11-2019, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65
Hey I'm glad to see a little more of a response about the car and I appologize if I rubbed you the wrong way. Despite your dedication to the platform, its not uncommon to see a dyno video surface and then never hear anything else about a car. There are alot of "one hit wonders". If you've poked your head in here from time to time I don't think I'm telling you anything you don't already know.

As for the track, I understand it isn't for everyone, that's why I mentioned the Dragy. In fact, I've only been about 5 times in my life after nearly 10 yrs of ownership, It is nice to see where the car stands after new mods. At the same time, you gotta remember we live in a world of "checks and balances" and if you want to put something out there, the public is going to ask you to back it up. I'm not saying your car is or isn't making the power, but sharing its actual performance with a dyno number allows us all to see how things pan out. Based on your 60-130 times there is no doubt your car is making some decent power. It would have been nice to see Dragy 1/4 mile times to see how it gains up top and for a simple comparison of MPH. I'm guessing 10.3X-10.4X around 134-135 MPH if it can get through the gears with no hiccups. On the street, you'll never see those times, but MPH can happen if the power is there.

What made you change directions and decide to build a TT car? Like many others I'm here to learn and build off of others success, while sharing what has and hasn't worked for me. My big question is do you have a plan on how to manage torque with the ECU and TCU? A stand alone? I can tell you from my experience with just stock turbos the tranny can't handle what my car has to offer. I added a mild flash converter on a built tranny from SHR with the same ECU/TCU tune I've had for a while. On the street the 2-3 was great, firm and crisp. I went to the track and the 1-2 with traction caused it to freak out, even the 2-3 got a little stupid. I was spinning the drag radials on the rims before bead locking. A hard burn out and launch allowed me to snap my output shaft. Before the upgrade the output shaft was replaced since it was bent with just the stock converter. As you know, the V12TT tranny is a little beefier. Most of the stock E55 components are much weaker and can not handle close to double the stock power you're aiming for. I think the turbo build is the easiest part, followed by the tune,(probalby not that easy) and then the drivetrain upgrades will be a bit more involved, atleast if you are trying to keep it as a driver. It has the potential to be a decent roll racing car or or great for land speed to avoid breakage. I've yet to see a MB turbo build car that can launch hard, without lag. It will be interesting to see how the car ends up.

Again, good luck, I look forward to seeing more Dragy posts if time slips aren't your thing.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
E55 and several 928s
And guys are spending 50k on billet blocks for the TT Audi/lambo v10s. What do you want to do?

Old 02-11-2019, 07:36 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
RaceHorse,
You cannot compare your application to this really. The transmissions can handle a tremendous amount of power. Just not pulling a building down the street. The v12 cars have a terrible final drive ratio and the weight makes launching that car terribly abusive to the driveshaft and the transmission. We run over 1000whp/wht through stock transmissions in the Mopar community reliable for years even Jeeps just because they have better gear ratios. Even when we get to failure it is the input shaft 1st and we have billet input shafts in cars making near 1500hp. It is just physics If you simply put 3.06 or even 3.55 gears in your car you would immediately start braking half axles and no longer have problems with the driveline. Just moving tq. And your car would be significantly faster. Think Ford 8.8 IRS or 9" IRS.
I for one think it is awesome people are finally doing something with these. They are dirt cheap and the foundation to the motor is really strong. Transmission is great and even the differential can go pretty far.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 139 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
the beauty of doing all this development on the E55 is that it spills over into a ton of other M113 powered cars...

I have a w202 C55 parked out back that could desperately use a proper FI setup!
Old 02-11-2019, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65
Originally Posted by whipplem104
RaceHorse,
You cannot compare your application to this really. The transmissions can handle a tremendous amount of power. Just not pulling a building down the street. The v12 cars have a terrible final drive ratio and the weight makes launching that car terribly abusive to the driveshaft and the transmission. We run over 1000whp/wht through stock transmissions in the Mopar community reliable for years even Jeeps just because they have better gear ratios. Even when we get to failure it is the input shaft 1st and we have billet input shafts in cars making near 1500hp. It is just physics If you simply put 3.06 or even 3.55 gears in your car you would immediately start braking half axles and no longer have problems with the driveline. Just moving tq. And your car would be significantly faster. Think Ford 8.8 IRS or 9" IRS.
I for one think it is awesome people are finally doing something with these. They are dirt cheap and the foundation to the motor is really strong. Transmission is great and even the differential can go pretty far.
I'll PM not to take away from the original thread