MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   Wrapping my car currently (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/735268-wrapping-my-car-currently.html)

ExclusiveAMG 02-07-2019 02:47 PM

Wrapping my car currently

Anyone tried wrapping their own car? ****s hard!
I can do the laying down smoothly but it’s the edges and folding that kill me. Doing matte white/gloss black/ dark blue calipers to match interior.

Yuille36 02-07-2019 02:59 PM

Good luck with that. Personally, I take it to a professional. :y

ExclusiveAMG 02-07-2019 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Yuille36 (Post 7675549)
Good luck with that. Personally, I take it to a professional. :y

I’m expanding my business so I’m going to learn it one way or the other

Strigoi 02-07-2019 04:56 PM

There's a reason a good wrap job costs thousands of dollars. It takes a lot of practice to get good at it.

ExclusiveAMG 02-07-2019 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Strigoi (Post 7675672)
There's a reason a good wrap job costs thousands of dollars. It takes a lot of practice to get good at it.

absolutely... I’m currently just trying it out and need to fix all the edges at the end but it’s going all good right now.

tw2 02-08-2019 01:23 AM

Just like window tints, anyone can do it but to do it really well is a skill.

Please post back with pictures and advice on your learning curve, would be good to see, all the best.

kenneyd 02-08-2019 09:09 AM

I've been learning tint and wrap on my own, but exclusively for my own cars and friends and family.
Its tricky, and there is a lot of waste, especially initially. Nothing more frustrating then spending an hour shrinking a back window only to get a piece of dirt under it.
I have not wrapped a entire car yet, but have done large area clear bras, roofs and lots of tricky small parts.

Depending of the areas you are struggling with, sometimes those areas either require you to tack, heat and stretch Or even pre-stretch and shrink to cover the area. Using a good brand of wrap is critical, and consider the edge tape/glues

ExclusiveAMG 02-08-2019 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by kenneyd (Post 7676136)
I've been learning tint and wrap on my own, but exclusively for my own cars and friends and family.
Its tricky, and there is a lot of waste, especially initially. Nothing more frustrating then spending an hour shrinking a back window only to get a piece of dirt under it.
I have not wrapped a entire car yet, but have done large area clear bras, roofs and lots of tricky small parts.

Depending of the areas you are struggling with, sometimes those areas either require you to tack, heat and stretch Or even pre-stretch and shrink to cover the area. Using a good brand of wrap is critical, and consider the edge tape/glues

Regardless of areas you must stretch it to a mirror like surface... completely flat. And with the vivvid wrap I’m using it is so hard!

ExclusiveAMG 02-08-2019 05:14 PM

Wanted to inform all of you... **** Amazon. They put the wrong label for wrap and I bought matte white thinking it was right. Turns out one is matte white and other is matte diamond white so it’s two different panels. So far 2 rolls of wrapped have been delayed in 3 days so I may need to wait till Monday to start working on it again

hachiroku 02-08-2019 06:12 PM

you'll need quality vinyl first of all....then YouTube is your friend for anything general and DIY. Wrapping a W211 would be a bit daunting due to the amount of panels/parts you'll need to separate to result a quality job. Good luck.

to answer the initial question...i believe you'll need a heat gun and some thin plastic tools as well as thick fabric gloves.

ExclusiveAMG 02-08-2019 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by hachiroku (Post 7676590)
you'll need quality vinyl first of all....then YouTube is your friend for anything general and DIY. Wrapping a W211 would be a bit daunting due to the amount of panels/parts you'll need to separate to result a quality job. Good luck.

to answer the initial question...i believe you'll need a heat gun and some thin plastic tools as well as thick fabric gloves.

I got all those tools... it’s going well. Had to redo the door but if anyone does this and buys knifeless tape. Use the freaking thing unlike me who needed to redo it because I didnt

actech 02-08-2019 09:56 PM

youtube is your friend and there are TONS of helpful videos to assist you. post pics and let us see.

Benztech858 02-19-2019 04:21 PM

Would love to see some pictures as I am also thinking about wrapping my E55.