MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   windshield replacement (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/739877-windshield-replacement.html)

rusbel 03-26-2019 11:03 PM

windshield replacement

Hey guys, any recommendations on a good auto glass guy in the Chicago area? windshield hit with a rock, need new one.

Yuille36 03-27-2019 03:24 PM

All I can say, is "Safelite Repair, Safelite Replace" I can't go wrong with Safelite! :y
And they do OEM glass too.

rusbel 03-27-2019 10:45 PM

thanks!

N_Rob 03-28-2019 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Yuille36 (Post 7716843)
All I can say, is "Safelite Repair, Safelite Replace" I can't go wrong with Safelite! :y
And they do OEM glass too.

Safelite has been good to me with other cars (lots of rocks on the interstates where I live) but unfortunately I was disappointed with the job they did on my E55 last year. The seal wasn’t bad or anything, but ever since they worked on my car the rain sensing wiper setting is screwed all the way up and unusable. Doesn’t recognize any rain on the car at all, so whenever I drive in the rain (even if it’s just lightly drizziling) I have to keep the wipers on the next setting, which for me is the constant sweep. Slightly annoying and not sure what to do to fix it, so I would just be careful with them and make sure the tech knows where the sensor is and how to glue it back into place (or however it fits back).

rusbel 03-28-2019 11:21 AM

thanks! i am trying to see if I can have it done at the dealership - my local dealer has a body shop. Will see. The local Satellite places have a bad rep

SteveE400 03-28-2019 11:26 AM

If you're in the northwest suburban area, I have had good experience just having my usual body shop sub it out. The shop I've used for many years is Certified Collision Center in Schaumburg. They are MB-Certified, and have worked on many cars for me.

A few years ago I had them replace a windshield on my E400. They used OEM glass and I have absolutely no issues with their work.

Yuille36 03-28-2019 11:37 AM

I have had excellent experiences with Safelite, they've replaced several windshields for me over the years.

tw2 03-28-2019 02:50 PM

I had my dealer do mine. Everything was ok but the rain sensing was 95% as good as it was before, it just didn't quite work like it used to.

rusbel 03-28-2019 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by SteveE400 (Post 7717560)
If you're in the northwest suburban area, I have had good experience just having my usual body shop sub it out. The shop I've used for many years is Certified Collision Center in Schaumburg. They are MB-Certified, and have worked on many cars for me.

A few years ago I had them replace a windshield on my E400. They used OEM glass and I have absolutely no issues with their work.

I may have to check them out. I checked with A+L auto body in Palatine - they are awesome, but they source their glass out to Advanced auto glass in Schaumburg, so I may go with them. They have goo reviews also.