Sponsored by:

Not all filters are created equal!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 05:43 PM

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Not all filters are created equal!!

Want to thank Das16 for all his help an suggestions. He suggested that i go with the Green panel filters versus the K&N filters i already had. Well got em today an heres the ins and outs of the differences. Theres a great read on them here as well http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/knowledgebase/article/product-evaluation-k-n-air-filter-vs-the-green-filter-285.html
But for those that dont want to read heres a quick lil rundown the differing manufacturing types injection molding the way K&N does it lets about 1/4 inch all around have rubber spill out on the cotton gauze an this part will no longer flow any air on those parts where the more expensive greens process seals the cotton an it doesnt leak out so it has more square inches per panel. I measured side to side on both filters and top to bottom K&N has a total square in of 46.62 per panel and the Green has 56.10 going by my measurements. Another thing i noted was the thickness of both, the K&N measures just over an inch in height putting it in the flow path where the Green measures just .6 in height putting it out of the flowpath. According to independent tests the green says it filters out particles as small as 5 microns where K&N seems not to do as well.on the smaller stuff. Also the filter media is close. K&N uses 4 to 6 layers of cotton gauze where Green uses 2 layers of woven cotton. The woven cotton is stronger, less fragile, and thinner but filters better than the gauze that K&N uses. Anyway i just happened to take some pics as well and ill be able to do a before an after dyno test as well sometime soon an goin by butt dyno its made a feelable difference.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 215 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
That’s interesting. Please do keep this updated with real dyno results. I have K&N and if there is another that proves better performance I’m all for it.

Anything to make it faster!!
Old 04-08-2019, 10:29 PM

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by tlambert
That’s interesting. Please do keep this updated with real dyno results. I have K&N and if there is another that proves better performance I’m all for it.

Anything to make it faster!!
Will do brother i have a local dyno that im going to rent for.an hr an play with here soon
Old 04-09-2019, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Originally Posted by E55amg0220
Will do brother i have a local dyno that im going to rent for.an hr an play with here soon
We'd love to see how they stack up against a set of proper oem amg filters too. They have a lot more pleats which means a lot more surface area if you cut it out and spread it out on the table. I'm not a fan of K&N. They let in lots of fine grit. That makes me skeptical of the green ones. The first job of a filter is the actual filtering.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,483 Likes on 983 Posts
This place is a joke.
I run ONLY the factory AMG filters. There are 2 of them for a reason- to give you more air flow than is needed! They have superior filtration over K+N's plus I don't have to clean and oil them. I've always been curious though to run on the dyno once without the airbox connected-but not brave enough to do so! FWIW I gained about 6 RWHP when testing someone else's Needswings filter setup at a dyno day.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post6828513

Last edited by E55Greasemonkey; 01-05-2020 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
It’s not necessarily about gains when both filters are clean, it’s about how much more power they can maintain over time as they collect dirt. Plus it’s a benefit to be able to clean them and not buy new filters, but it’s not often enough to be price prohibitive to just get new OEM’s. In my area roads are pretty terrible and there are a lot of semi’s so I think it typically eats up filters quicker than most areas.

I just ordered some of these as well after reading up. Will be interested to see how they do.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saab 900 Aero, Volvo 850 R, Audi S4, MB GL 450, Buell X1, KTM 1190 Adventure
I am reading up on older threads on intake mods and spacers vs filter vs cold air intakes etc.

Actually after having read this thread I am surprised anyone can consider greens superior to K&N. I do not know about the material, but just in terms of filter area. This is much larger on the K&N, as they have way more warps (48 vs 36, if I counted correctly, so roughly one third more plus another 40 percent more if they really are 1” vs the 0.6” of the greens. Normally you would want to have your filter as tall as possible, no?

BR, Tadek
Old 01-06-2020, 09:36 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
We use green filters in our cold air intake kits and our dyno tests out preformed K&N and AFE in power. We do have Green use different dye coloring on our filter runs, so some are green in color and others can be redish, etc but same quality seal and finished product.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 01-06-2020, 03:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W211 E63
Does any one know how the green filters compare to the AFE Pro Dry filters?

Previous owner installed them in my car and I like the fact I can take them out and clean them whenever, but I have no idea how they compare to stock or ant other type of filter.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:26 AM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts
09 E63
Originally Posted by SleepersRock
Does any one know how the green filters compare to the AFE Pro Dry filters?

Previous owner installed them in my car and I like the fact I can take them out and clean them whenever, but I have no idea how they compare to stock or ant other type of filter.
I'm curious too as I just installed afe ones; and have always heard great things and used them on previous cars; and they have been tested to outperform k&n.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:03 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
any filter that flows more will produce more power due to less restriction. this in turn will pass more dirt through in comparison to a factory filter. for my M156 i strictly use Genuine AMG filters to prolong the life of my engine. i've used green filters on other vehicles before. to me, as long as the filter element doesn't throw a code or clog of metering devices they're all the same to me. 1-5hp can be made up somewhere else.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com