Notices
W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What tires and level of traction do you have?

 
Old 04-16-2019, 09:23 PM
  #1  
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
tw2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,960
Received 160 Likes on 142 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
What tires and level of traction do you have?

I am just wondering what tires everyone is using and what levels of traction are realistic for our cars?

My car had brand new nankangs when I got it. They were terrible. I recently got a set of Bridgestone potenza's S007a which are their flagship summer tire replacing the S001 pole positions, I guess they should compete with the pilot sport 4's. Stock sizes, stock wheels, mild engine mods.

2nd gear on good roads in the dry is pretty much fine now. 1st is still a major problem. If I gently get into it, it is ok. Anything more is a burn out. Is this pretty normal with the exception of drag radials?
tw2 is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 09:53 PM
  #2  
Super Member
 
E55amg0220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 749
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
I had nankings they suck suck SUCK!!!! I LOVED my continentals DWS but their pricey an wore fast. I liked my pilot sports and they had great traction in dry not so much in wet. Well recently i was getting new ones an my buddy at discount says i want ya to try the new generals and i have to admut for a midpriced tire they are by far my favorite so far!!! I have amazing grip in rain and dry an thats even in first. I mean i can break em loose if i floor if but i can go bout halfway an it just goes!! Highly recommend found out they are made by continental but their better than the DWS less than half the cost of the continentals and sk far are wearing amazing and quiet.
E55amg0220 is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 10:38 PM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 78
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 E63, 2017 C43 Cab, 2009 Ducati Monster 1100S
Im starting to shop around for tires too and agree that the pilot super sport traction in the rain isnt great. What General tires did your friend put you on to? You've piqued my interest, traction wet&dry, quiet, reasonably priced,
vincheung is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 10:43 PM
  #4  
Super Member
 
E55amg0220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 749
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by vincheung View Post
Im starting to shop around for tires too and agree that the pilot super sport traction in the rain isnt great. What General tires did your friend put you on to? You've piqued my interest, traction wet&dry, quiet, reasonably priced,
The general gmax as-05 great tires i got them for 121 ea and i promise you wont be disappointed!
E55amg0220 is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by E55amg0220:
MSG 55G (04-17-2019), vincheung (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 11:20 PM
  #5  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 683
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
2005 E55
Interesting, I had been looking at the hancook V12 Evos for a good budget tire next purchase. I'll have to check out those generals also.
drothgeb is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 11:22 PM
  #6  
Super Member
 
E55amg0220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 749
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by drothgeb View Post
Interesting, I had been looking at the hancook V12 Evos for a good budget tire next purchase. I'll have to check out those generals also.
The hancook V12 do give good traction but they wore so fast i wouldnt recommend that one boss
E55amg0220 is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 11:39 PM
  #7  
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
tw2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,960
Received 160 Likes on 142 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Unfortunately I don't think we have General's here. I was thinking when the backs need replacing maybe trying the pilot sport cup 2 but I don't know how they do in the wet. Otherwise the pilot sport 4 are available in 275/35/18 but very few others seem to have that size. Whether 10mm even makes that much of a difference I don't know...

Are you guys having similar traction experiences? Time for a quaife?
tw2 is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 11:46 PM
  #8  
Super Member
 
E55amg0220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 749
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by tw2 View Post
Unfortunately I don't think we have General's here. I was thinking when the backs need replacing maybe trying the pilot sport cup 2 but I don't know how they do in the wet. Otherwise the pilot sport 4 are available in 275/35/18 but very few others seem to have that size. Whether 10mm even makes that much of a difference I don't know...

Are you guys having similar traction experiences? Time for a quaife?
I was until i got the generals seriously one of the best tires ive used just saying and i have no skin in the game
E55amg0220 is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 11:54 PM
  #9  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 683
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by tw2 View Post
Unfortunately I don't think we have General's here. I was thinking when the backs need replacing maybe trying the pilot sport cup 2 but I don't know how they do in the wet. Otherwise the pilot sport 4 are available in 275/35/18 but very few others seem to have that size. Whether 10mm even makes that much of a difference I don't know...

Are you guys having similar traction experiences? Time for a quaife?
I have a wavetrac and antares injen A1 tires which are cheap but good reviews. My first and second gear are completely useless.
drothgeb is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 12:21 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
MSG 55G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 427
Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by E55amg0220 View Post
The general gmax as-05 great tires i got them for 121 ea and i promise you wont be disappointed!
Heard good things bout Generals, so you're saying they're have good grip in first? You recommend for tracking as well? Also, what size are you running? I got 285 in rears and they still rubs with fender rolls.

Last edited by MSG 55G; 04-17-2019 at 12:24 AM.
MSG 55G is online now  
Old 04-17-2019, 12:48 AM
  #11  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 683
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
2005 E55
Well crap. Turns out the AS-05 tire sizes are atrocious. Only available in factory 265/35 18, nothing wider available (except 275/40 18 wtf?) and if you have 19s like me, forget about it. 255/40 19 and 275/40 19 only options haha. Damn.

The General apparently also have the G Max RS which is a summer tire, also really good reviews, and comes in 295/30 19
drothgeb is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 02:46 AM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3,071
Received 203 Likes on 192 Posts
2007 E63 (currently for sale), 2001 E320 wagon, 2002 Dodge Ram 1500, 2000 Honda VFR800
I run Sumitomo HTR Z III tires on my E63 and ran them on my old W210 E55. Been using them for years with no complaints. They're cheap and and I'm happy with the performance.
Strigoi is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 08:03 AM
  #13  
Super Member
 
E55amg0220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 749
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by drothgeb View Post
Well crap. Turns out the AS-05 tire sizes are atrocious. Only available in factory 265/35 18, nothing wider available (except 275/40 18 wtf?) and if you have 19s like me, forget about it. 255/40 19 and 275/40 19 only options haha. Damn.

The General apparently also have the G Max RS which is a summer tire, also really good reviews, and comes in 295/30 19
Yeah size limitations suck but the stock size is wkin fine for me even with over 500 whp lol. Sorry brother
E55amg0220 is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 08:04 AM
  #14  
Super Member
 
E55amg0220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 749
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MSG 55G View Post
Heard good things bout Generals, so you're saying they're have good grip in first? You recommend for tracking as well? Also, what size are you running? I got 285 in rears and they still rubs with fender rolls.
Im runnin just stock size as for trackin i drive mine everyday so idk bout the track takes corners better i can say tht
E55amg0220 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
MSG 55G (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 09:19 AM
  #15  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
StarvingArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: DownEast Maine
Posts: 1,601
Received 77 Likes on 76 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
I've been impressed with the Michelin as3. Not their top summer tire, but the best grip I've had. Speaks well for the brand. My stock sizes are a little different though 285/30/19 and 255/35/19. I got a deal on some crazy expensive Yokohama's last fall to try out. 295/30 19. I've got to roast the rest of my Michelins off first though. Hate to throw away tread in the rear.
StarvingArtist is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 11:45 AM
  #16  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: IE, CA
Posts: 31
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Evo9
For me the Hankook Evo 12 had bad traction and where loud tires. I had very bad traction under braking and I felt no confidence in the corners. Also runs narrow for the size to wheels/rim are exposed to curbs. Soft sidewall so comfortable ride and less steering response.

Sumitomo HTR Z III tires were good tires for the price. Decent cornering traction and from what I remember rain traction was ok, not great. They lack the overall performance of summer tires. I do remember they run narrow for their size so your wheel/rim will be exposed to curbs during parking. Soft sidewall so comfortable ride and less steering response.

Pilot Super Sports are a good overall tire. Pretty good wear for the performance (Like 30k miles) for me rain traction was good (Did not hydroplane easily but still managed to with 1/2" of standing water on freeway) and was not too loud. They do get louder with miles. Runs wide for the size to wheel/rim is protected from curbs. Stiff sidewalls so a bit of a rough ride but good steering response.

Federal 595 RS-R (Old Version TW 120 not the new TW 200 model) great cornering and decent rain traction not good. Wear was not good but the tread wear rating was low so not surprising. When new it was quiet, but with a few K miles they were very loud. They run very wide for their size so good wheel/rim protection. for example a 235 tire will be closer to a 255 size tire than a 245 size tire. Stiff sidewalls so a bit of a rough ride but good steering response.
lvevo is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 01:37 PM
  #17  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 683
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by lvevo View Post
For me the Hankook Evo 12 had bad traction and where loud tires. I had very bad traction under braking and I felt no confidence in the corners. Also runs narrow for the size to wheels/rim are exposed to curbs. Soft sidewall so comfortable ride and less steering response.

Sumitomo HTR Z III tires were good tires for the price. Decent cornering traction and from what I remember rain traction was ok, not great. They lack the overall performance of summer tires. I do remember they run narrow for their size so your wheel/rim will be exposed to curbs during parking. Soft sidewall so comfortable ride and less steering response.

Pilot Super Sports are a good overall tire. Pretty good wear for the performance (Like 30k miles) for me rain traction was good (Did not hydroplane easily but still managed to with 1/2" of standing water on freeway) and was not too loud. They do get louder with miles. Runs wide for the size to wheel/rim is protected from curbs. Stiff sidewalls so a bit of a rough ride but good steering response.

Federal 595 RS-R (Old Version TW 120 not the new TW 200 model) great cornering and decent rain traction not good. Wear was not good but the tread wear rating was low so not surprising. When new it was quiet, but with a few K miles they were very loud. They run very wide for their size so good wheel/rim protection. for example a 235 tire will be closer to a 255 size tire than a 245 size tire. Stiff sidewalls so a bit of a rough ride but good steering response.
Did you try the EVO 2 V12 or the original?
drothgeb is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 01:53 PM
  #18  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: IE, CA
Posts: 31
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Evo9
Originally Posted by drothgeb View Post
Did you try the EVO 2 V12 or the original?
It was the original. I don't think the newer versions of older tires are that much better. Usually just slight improvements of annoyances from owners. It is the new model that will have the big improvements. Just my opinion.
lvevo is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 02:15 PM
  #19  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 95
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
none yet
Running stock size michelin AS3+ With a 77mm pulley

first
gear is useless 0 traction , traction from rolls is pretty decent, the ride quality is great and they are fairly quiet compared to my old rubber
failboat is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 02:18 PM
  #20  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: IE, CA
Posts: 31
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Evo9
One thing I forgot to mention is that if anyone is looking to get "extreme performance" tires for best traction, make sure to look at the tread depth. These highest performance street tires will start with less than 10/32" tread depth, which seems to be the standard passenger car tire depth. It will have less life for better cornering ability. When road race tires are shaved down for max performance they will be 4/32".

For example my old Federal 595 RS-R started with 8/32". Nitto NT05 start with 7.2/32". Michelin Pilot Sport Cup2 7.2/32". So not only do they start with less tread but they are also softer compounds. So they will not last long.
lvevo is offline  
The following users liked this post:
MSG 55G (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 02:41 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
MSG 55G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 427
Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by lvevo View Post
One thing I forgot to mention is that if anyone is looking to get "extreme performance" tires for best traction, make sure to look at the tread depth. These highest performance street tires will start with less than 10/32" tread depth, which seems to be the standard passenger car tire depth. It will have less life for better cornering ability. When road race tires are shaved down for max performance they will be 4/32".

For example my old Federal 595 RS-R started with 8/32". Nitto NT05 start with 7.2/32". Michelin Pilot Sport Cup2 7.2/32". So not only do they start with less tread but they are also softer compounds. So they will not last long.
What do you recommend for 1/4 track and DD? I want to run 1/4 track once or twice only, nothing major.
MSG 55G is online now  
Old 04-17-2019, 04:41 PM
  #22  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: IE, CA
Posts: 31
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Evo9
Originally Posted by MSG 55G View Post
What do you recommend for 1/4 track and DD? I want to run 1/4 track once or twice only, nothing major.
My favorite and my go to until something better comes along is Michelin Pilot Sport series. I have the older model Pilot Super Sports and like the fact that it is quiet, last relatively long, pretty good wet traction for my area (So Cal), and corners good.

That said I looked up the reviews of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S of Chevy owners and one Corvette with a supercharged LS3 and said the following:

"The car is Automatic 6speed with EForce Supercharger the car can pull 1.7 60' times with 32lbs. air pressure coming off the line at a idle."

Pricey tire but for me has so many things I like in a tire it's hard to buy something else unless the car is a weekend car.
lvevo is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by lvevo:
MSG 55G (04-17-2019), tw2 (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 05:40 PM
  #23  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
CharlyE500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Socal, Chino
Posts: 4,141
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
E55 2006 / E55 2000 / White Odyssey
Try Firestone firehawk indy 500. They are renamed from Bridgestone Potenza.
Very beefy and good traction.
CharlyE500 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
MSG 55G (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 08:39 PM
  #24  
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
tw2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,960
Received 160 Likes on 142 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by CharlyE500 View Post
Try Firestone firehawk indy 500. They are renamed from Bridgestone Potenza.
Very beefy and good traction.
I ran these on the CLK55, unfortunately still had some traction issues but not as bad as the E55. I am currently running the potenza RE003's on the mr2 but that doesn't have much power, they certainly handle very very well though.

Oh well, sounds like my situation is normal. I might try the cup 2's next time if I can afford them and they come in the correct size, even just on the rear. I think any good quality summer tire on the front will be fine.
tw2 is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 09:56 PM
  #25  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1
I just got some Michelin pilot sport 4s and before I had some cheap Yokohamas. The 4s feels amazing. I have to try to break them loose.
Munchy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What tires and level of traction do you have?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: