Sponsored by:

Rough Idle Misfire and changing symptoms

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55 AMG
Rough Idle Misfire and changing symptoms

Hello everyone new to the forums been reading quite a bit but just now made an account.

I know it is stupid to make new topics on know issues but a desperate does not the most logical stuff.

So long story short have an e55 06 (bone stock / just without cats but still have check for second O2s) car had rough idle issues.

Checked coil packs and wires(and swapped them) / got new spark plugs and cleaned injectors but he problems is still there on STAR it said that 4/5/6 don't work in the -3.5/+3.5 range and light up for a second then they work ok.
Had a fault for primary O2 sensor on the same side and i changed that as well.

After 2 days driving got a new issue now i have code for P2043 Missfiring (P0300) and P2045 Missfiring on cylinder 5 (P0305).
Swaped coils again ,checked today got the same faults.

Forgot to mention the car still runs strong but burns oil, it has a brand new supercharger and throttle body + alternator no clue why they were changed i got it form a local dealer so no idea what has happend before me.

Car has 210k km on the clock.

Sorry again for the new topic open to ideas but couldn't find an answer with the search and i read almost all topics about misfire rough idle and so on.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:34 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2008 BMW M5, 2004 E55 AMG (RIP)
How much oil is it burning? Could it be worn piston rings? Someone with much more knowledge than me will no doubt chime in with more to offer.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:31 AM

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
Benz
If it is constantly going out of spec on the smooth engine running screen then scope the coils, those things go bad quite frequently.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:59 PM

W211 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by N_Rob
How much oil is it burning? Could it be worn piston rings? Someone with much more knowledge than me will no doubt chime in with more to offer.
No clue about that are they prone to worn piston rings haven't seen people on here complain about that + the car is like low is on km for it to have them no ?

Originally Posted by knowbenz
If it is constantly going out of spec on the smooth engine running screen then scope the coils, those things go bad quite frequently.
I switched them from the left side to the right side of the engine and no fix could be the wires to the coils but they all look ok.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by scs141
No clue about that are they prone to worn piston rings haven't seen people on here complain about that + the car is like low is on km for it to have them no ?
No car is immune from them, but it’s not known for it. It was just a far out guess anyway. Are the plugs fouling out quickly?
Old 05-24-2019, 08:49 PM

Benz

I switched them from the left side to the right side of the engine and no fix could be the wires to the coils but they all look ok.
If you want to swap parts until you fix it then try swapping injectors next
Old 05-24-2019, 09:11 PM

W211 E55 AMG
If you want to swap parts until you fix it then try swapping injectors next

A few people told me injectors could be the problem i took them out and had them tested on a stand and cleaned using ultrasound but i am not sure that it did something. That was before i had the misfire come up.

Maybe i should check them again or just buy new once.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:59 AM

Benz
A few people told me injectors could be the problem i took them out and had them tested on a stand and cleaned using ultrasound but i am not sure that it did something. That was before i had the misfire come up.

Maybe i should check them again or just buy new once.
Or save that money and have the car diagnosed.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:38 PM

W211 E55 AMG
Or save that money and have the car diagnosed.
Monday will be the 4th person who will check the car so not like i am not having it diagnosed. It is silly pulling the motor out of the car for a full service when it is running normaly and only has problems when idle. The 3 mechanics that checked it can't figure it out.

That is why i made this topic if someone has an idea what to check in my country there are not that many cars of this type and mechanics doesn't have the experience and don't know what are the common problems. In Germany they told me just to buy a whole new motor they don't even want to try and find the issue just replace everything since it is cheaper than the labor of diagnosing the problem.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:56 PM

Only happens at idle? Silly question but have any of the people you took it to checked for vacuum leaks? Not sure the common one to the back of the supercharger can cause misfires at idle but when I had a leak from there my car shook pretty violently at idle and the headlights would flicker slightly. Scared the **** out of me lol I thought I had toasted the engine after I did my own VGC.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:46 PM

Benz
Monday will be the 4th person who will check the car so not like i am not having it diagnosed. It is silly pulling the motor out of the car for a full service when it is running normaly and only has problems when idle. The 3 mechanics that checked it can't figure it out.

That is why i made this topic if someone has an idea what to check in my country there are not that many cars of this type and mechanics doesn't have the experience and don't know what are the common problems. In Germany they told me just to buy a whole new motor they don't even want to try and find the issue just replace everything since it is cheaper than the labor of diagnosing the problem.

Where are you located?

Originally Posted by N_Rob
Only happens at idle? Silly question but have any of the people you took it to checked for vacuum leaks? Not sure the common one to the back of the supercharger can cause misfires at idle but when I had a leak from there my car shook pretty violently at idle and the headlights would flicker slightly. Scared the **** out of me lol I thought I had toasted the engine after I did my own VGC.
Good point, intake gaskets leak as well. If they're leaking you can see change in smooth engine running when spraying that side with brake clean, or water if you don't want to risk a fire.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:16 AM

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
2003 Mercedes E55 AMG
Personally i would find someone that can do a smoke check for vacuum leaks i am willing to bet this is ur issue. Due to it happening at idle it makes sense. Idle vacuum is more important and most people do not know how to properly install the supercharger n tb. Then they end up with a leak and chase the problem. I made my own guides to make sure my gaskets an charger all lined up an installed perfectly each time.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:28 AM

W211 E55 AMG
Hello again i am here to report what was actually the problem. A faulty fuel injector.

It was a little bit clogged which is strange since i had them cleaned with ultrasound but i guess that was not enough, so 8 new injectors in and the car is back to normal.

And strangle enough i had quite a bit of carbon build up in the engine and the 9th mechanic who fixed my car cleaned the insides with Xado product and i am back at 12.5 compression on all 8 cylinders.

Now i am ready for mods.