MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   Going back to airmatic suspension from coils! (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/750222-going-back-airmatic-suspension-coils.html)

P_benz 07-12-2019 03:29 AM

Going back to airmatic suspension from coils!

Hey I just bought another amg, I had a w211 e63 which had the bags on it which felt amazing and comfortable along with being able to lower it and raise it that airmatic is really great for the ride but I just bought this w211 e55 amg today and the owner had changed the bags to coils and I HATE THE COILS just kills the car it isn’t comfy and I’m worried about scraping and going up and down my drive way ect.

looks alright for being lowered but it’s rubbing on the tire and I know airmatic wouldn’t even do that I just want to know how much $$$ AND what to do to go back to airmatic suspension! I need this e55 to feel like the amazing comfy super-sedan it is!

ALSO!! I know the stock airmatic has issues so if there’s an after market one that works and fits exactly like the stock ones and FEELS like the stock ones but more reliable please let me know about it thanks!!!

tw2 07-12-2019 05:09 AM

It depends how the previous owner removed it. I watched a youtube video of someone doing the conversion. They cut all the air lines out, cut electrical connectors, removed the pump and every possible component and made a total mess of it. It could be a nice tidy re-installation or a total nightmare. Arnotts have a good warranty or buy any of them from FCP but none of them are 100% reliable.

Can you raise the coilovers to stop rubbing? It won't fix your comfort issue but at least one problem could be solved.

Yuille36 07-12-2019 10:45 AM

A lot of W211 AMG owners give the airmatic suspension a bad wrap, but it's good see that some of us like it, and want to convert it back to stock.

P_benz 07-12-2019 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by tw2 (Post 7801211)
It depends how the previous owner removed it. I watched a youtube video of someone doing the conversion. They cut all the air lines out, cut electrical connectors, removed the pump and every possible component and made a total mess of it. It could be a nice tidy re-installation or a total nightmare. Arnotts have a good warranty or buy any of them from FCP but none of them are 100% reliable.

Can you raise the coilovers to stop rubbing? It won't fix your comfort issue but at least one problem could be solved.

Gezz that sound like a damn mess I have to check it out today I’m really hoping he didn’t cut anything that is gonna be a nightmare

tw2 07-12-2019 06:56 PM

Are you still in contact with the previous owner? Find out how they did the job.

What coilovers are they? Some are softer than others and if the previous owner slammed the car they might be on the hardest setting. Any pics? It might be a simple case of buying new struts and plugging it all back in. Of course the PO might have switched because there were faults and leaks rather than for purely performance reasons.

P_benz 07-12-2019 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by P_benz (Post 7801495)
Gezz that sound like a damn mess I have to check it out today I’m really hoping he didn’t cut anything that is gonna be a nightmare

AYYY I just checked it and the lines for the front are still there!!! I’m super excited I was super nervous about that lol! Idk how to check the back ones but if I look under will I be able to see the pump?

P_benz 07-12-2019 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by tw2 (Post 7801793)
Are you still in contact with the previous owner? Find out how they did the job.

What coilovers are they? Some are softer than others and if the previous owner slammed the car they might be on the hardest setting. Any pics? It might be a simple case of buying new struts and plugging it all back in. Of course the PO might have switched because there were faults and leaks rather than for purely performance reasons.

I can’t really see them because if it being lowered but I just see the top it’s purple , and I remember the last owner telling me it’s the only company that sells somthing for the computer to work with the springs without getting the air light
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...423892e3a.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...0fb9b02d3.jpeg

P_benz 07-12-2019 07:15 PM

Just found out it’s arrnot springs

Originally Posted by P_benz (Post 7801807)
I can’t really see them because if it being lowered but I just see the top it’s purple , and I remember the last owner telling me it’s the only company that sells somthing for the computer to work with the springs without getting the air light
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...423892e3a.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...0fb9b02d3.jpeg

It’s arnott

tw2 07-12-2019 07:16 PM

Could be KW, they use purple. In any case you should be able to play around with the damping and height to make it more comfortable. A lot of coilover owners have said it can still give a nice comfortable ride. Might be worth exploring before making the final decision.

P_benz 07-12-2019 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by tw2 (Post 7801815)
Could be KW, they use purple. In any case you should be able to play around with the damping and height to make it more comfortable. A lot of coilover owners have said it can still give a nice comfortable ride. Might be worth exploring before making the final decision.

Yeah but it won’t beat the lowering and raising on the spot features

CharlyE500 07-12-2019 07:39 PM

The only complain I have is the pano roof makes more noise and more careful in speed bump. But in long term, I don't worry the failure.
I major reason I convert it when I left my car for 3 days, it actually sit extremely low. I didn't want to get stuck in a business trip.

tw2 07-12-2019 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by P_benz (Post 7801816)
Yeah but it won’t beat the lowering and raising on the spot features

I totally agree. I use the raise function all the time. Very helpful for fitting jacks underneath too.

Worth the wait 07-12-2019 09:22 PM

Coilovers are for kids:):):)

AgSilver 07-13-2019 12:25 AM

15 years on the same bags - - - this post will probably put the kibosh on them, so I'm ordering a set of Arnott's to keep on the shelf (maybe in the boot)

BC928 07-13-2019 01:03 AM

When you remove the entire system and install proper, non-slammed bull****, it works very well when converted.

When you slam a car and change the normal geometry because of that change, the car will not ride or handle well.

There is a vast difference between a thought out modification with proper engineering, and a hack.

hachiroku 07-15-2019 02:39 PM

so at this point...unless you're able to find a full setup from someone where who is going to coils...it'll be pretty expensive to buy many of these parts new or in pieces. what you could possibly do is add aftermarket air to your coilovers. it won't be self leveling unless you purchase that kit, but its doable. i myself enjoy airmatic, but weigh your options...hopefully all they did was remove the shocks and bypass the electrical connectors. best of luck!

BC928 07-15-2019 03:32 PM

I have everything, but its call core.

V8Displacement 07-16-2019 03:02 AM

If kw

Hello
if kw they are expensive and good if i where you i would try to adjust them and see what is all the hype about them and share with us the feedback you might like them

tw2 07-17-2019 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by V8Displacement (Post 7804197)
Hello
if kw they are expensive and good if i where you i would try to adjust them and see what is all the hype about them and share with us the feedback you might like them

He said they are arnott's, not KW.

V8Displacement 07-17-2019 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by tw2 (Post 7805103)
He said they are arnott's, not KW.

I missed that part

hachiroku 07-17-2019 04:08 PM

i don't believe KW front's come with Aluminum Top Hats for the W211....probably D2 Coilovers which is why he does like agree with the ride quality. Single adjustable Taiwanese made generically valved shocks.

M5 LOL 07-18-2019 12:30 AM

imho, converting one of these car to steel suspension is moronic.

BC928 07-18-2019 12:52 AM

Well, “LOL” you have a right to that opinion. But there is a reason it’s called “air tragic”