W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Do I need a Bigger Heat Exchanger?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 02:23 PM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
CL55
Do I need a Bigger Heat Exchanger?

Hello guys I have a 2003 CL55 amg the only mod I have done is a tune and the updated intercooler pump. I want my car to be faster so I was thinking of adding a 80mm pulley or a 77mm pulley the problem is that it is very hard to find information on adding another heat exchanger on CL55's, but I noticed my stock one is huge so maybe for a 80mm pulley I wont have to upgrade or add another one? I made two video showing what it looks like so you guys can get an idea. Please tell me if it would be good enough to add a smaller pulley. With the stock pulley I can do runs back to back and it wont disconnect the supercharger.

Vid #1:

Vid #2:
Old 09-24-2020, 07:45 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Maybe log your current intake air temps and do a couple pulls back to back and see how warm you getting. If you staying well under control then you probably fine with an 80mm sc pulley with the stock heat x.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:52 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
CLS55
CL doesn’t need a bigger one for just a 77. Once you go 72 or stack you’ll need it.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:25 PM

CL55
Originally Posted by C32owner
Maybe log your current intake air temps and do a couple pulls back to back and see how warm you getting. If you staying well under control then you probably fine with an 80mm sc pulley with the stock heat x.
Do you know any android apps that connect to obd that can display that?
Old 09-24-2020, 10:26 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
CLS55
Originally Posted by MartinWake
Do you know any android apps that connect to obd that can display that?
Torque pro...car scanner....
Old 09-24-2020, 11:21 PM

CL55
Originally Posted by coupesedan
Torque pro...car scanner....
Torque pro thats the one I saw before but I did not remember the name, thanks!
Old 09-25-2020, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 SL55
I have an 83mm and added the PLM XL to my already larger SL HE.

never had any issues with heat even in humid weather in Maryland...might go to a 77mm pulley eventually
Old 09-25-2020, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
What's considered "too high" when doing these test pulls? If ambient temp is 70F, whats the highest IAT you should see doing a good pull from stop to third gear?
Old 09-26-2020, 03:58 AM

CL55
Originally Posted by Amir_AMG
I have an 83mm and added the PLM XL to my already larger SL HE.

never had any issues with heat even in humid weather in Maryland...might go to a 77mm pulley eventually
I thought the SL had the one I have plus another one located where the E55's have theirs..
Old 09-26-2020, 04:00 AM

CL55
Originally Posted by Sulaco
What's considered "too high" when doing these test pulls? If ambient temp is 70F, whats the highest IAT you should see doing a good pull from stop to third gear?
I have not done a pull yet measuring the IAT's, I will get the app and log it but I live in Miami so ambient is not that good either, mid 80s rn...
Old 09-26-2020, 07:22 AM

Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
CLS55
car pulls timing in three stages 94 113 and 149 farenehits. Probably.gonna struggle to keep it under 113 so just try not hit 149 Goodluck..

Oh and to understand your cooling effectiveness you need to run the car hard for a few 'back to back' runs ensure the engine and supercharger are fighting off headstock. Doing one or two runs won't stress the system properly in my experience..

Last edited by PieRat; 09-26-2020 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:01 PM

CL55
Originally Posted by PieRat
car pulls timing in three stages 94 113 and 149 farenehits. Probably.gonna struggle to keep it under 113 so just try not hit 149 Goodluck..

Oh and to understand your cooling effectiveness you need to run the car hard for a few 'back to back' runs ensure the engine and supercharger are fighting off headstock. Doing one or two runs won't stress the system properly in my experience..
Yeah I figured it would start to pull timing, really the only reason why I am asking if my stock one is enough is because there is little information on install another one on the CL cars.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:36 PM

CLS55
Best way to tell for you and your situation is to monitor iats using torque app or similar. We all got different setups and live in different environments so for some people little cooling upgrade is fine for others they need lots. Not to mention one man's hard driving is another man's cruising... I imagine that the cl having improved cooling with two HE is one step up from a e or a cls with an upgraded aftermarket HE. You could look at getting an uprated pump like the cwa 100 or go the 50 if you wanna save some pennies. that way if you find more cooling needed you can just upgrade the stock HE and you already got the best pump!

Old 09-26-2020, 07:43 PM

CL55
Best way to tell for you and your situation is to monitor iats using torque app or similar. We all got different setups and live in different environments so for some people little cooling upgrade is fine for others they need lots. Not to mention one man's hard driving is another man's cruising... I imagine that the cl having improved cooling with two HE is one step up from a e or a cls with an upgraded aftermarket HE. You could look at getting an uprated pump like the cwa 100 or go the 50 if you wanna save some pennies. that way if you find more cooling needed you can just upgrade the stock HE and you already got the best pump!
I recently did my pump I got the updated 010 pump and its a huge difference for me! it seems my old one was dead. I also ordered a bluetooth obd2 thingy for torque pro. Even if I dont see high iats its still good for me to add another HE just so they stay well below, but as I said before I cant find info on install them on the CL class.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:54 PM

CLS55
https://mbworld.org/forums/cl55-amg-...appointed.html

seems like a decent step by step with photoz!
Old 09-26-2020, 08:00 PM

CL55

I've read that post a couple times and saw his videos but its still a little hard to understand Also eurocharged no longer sells those and most of the companies I contacted told me their HE does not fit the CL. I emailed a Russian company yesterday hopefully theirs fits..
Old 09-26-2020, 09:15 PM

CL55

Also I forgot something that would be good would be to do split cooling but that is different from E class since mine has a bleed line
Old 09-29-2020, 12:28 AM

CL55
Got the app did a couple 140 mph high way pulls highest I saw was on 160 and as soon as I let off it goes down really fast, I am surprised its that fast in the Florida heat also I got the car dynoed and the numbers impressed me! 442 whp and 490 w torque on a Florida day 84F outside. I reached out to a couple CL guys and one will make a video showing how to install another H/E so I will do that next so my iats are real chill.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:45 AM

CLS55
similar to me with my 77/header combo with the upgraded heat exchanger and 010. I think you'd benefit from the cwa 50 or 100 especially if you add another heat exchanger I had 010 and upgraded it and saw improvement with the better pump.

Split the cooling you plumb the purge line out of the super charger back to the intercooler circuit instead of res. t it in near your fill line for intercooler and use a pressure radiator style cap and it'll auto purge. Disconnect the t to the main circuit too.

When split drain the fluid via the pump Inlet and then fill with distilled water and water wetter or similar product im running the wetter coz it was first mentioned and easy found here in nz but I saw their supposedly a better product out there dont recall the name though.

If you go to cold climate you may need add anti freeze but in Florida I'm sure you'll be fine with just water and water wetter product..

Old 09-29-2020, 02:46 PM

CL55
similar to me with my 77/header combo with the upgraded heat exchanger and 010. I think you'd benefit from the cwa 50 or 100 especially if you add another heat exchanger I had 010 and upgraded it and saw improvement with the better pump.

Split the cooling you plumb the purge line out of the super charger back to the intercooler circuit instead of res. t it in near your fill line for intercooler and use a pressure radiator style cap and it'll auto purge. Disconnect the t to the main circuit too.

When split drain the fluid via the pump Inlet and then fill with distilled water and water wetter or similar product im running the wetter coz it was first mentioned and easy found here in nz but I saw their supposedly a better product out there dont recall the name though.

If you go to cold climate you may need add anti freeze but in Florida I'm sure you'll be fine with just water and water wetter product..
It is a little hard for me to understand but is it done like this?

It is different from e class cars and cls

Yeah I would probably benefit from another pump but I just installed this one not too long ago so a bit lazy to change it out and do the wiring for another pump
Old 10-12-2020, 03:48 PM

CL55
Went ahead and order this split cooling kit, its a little more expensive but looks better that the cheap bmw res everyone else uses

http://www.projectb5.com/product/pb5...it-cooling-kit
Old 10-12-2020, 08:00 PM

CL55

Hey I bought a split cooling kit but would you add water wetter to just the supercharger loop or both loops? and would it have to be distilled water or can I run it with the coolant I have?
Old 10-12-2020, 08:08 PM

CLS55
when you split the cooling do your best to drain and flush the system (intercooler loop). I drained as much as I could by disconnecting the pump and letting it all **** out. I then clamped the return line after the bleed nipple and started the pump while feeding DISTILLED water into the system. I think i let it pump out a few litres before I put the bleed line back into the system and added the water wetter as specified on bottle and let the system bleed for awhile..You can add water wetter to your engine system you can add it to your existing distilled water and anti freeze combo. Id not recommend using just distilled water and water wetter without anti freeze in the engine system as the boiling point would be too low and the system pressure will become too much!
Old 10-12-2020, 08:27 PM

CL55
when you split the cooling do your best to drain and flush the system (intercooler loop). I drained as much as I could by disconnecting the pump and letting it all **** out. I then clamped the return line after the bleed nipple and started the pump while feeding DISTILLED water into the system. I think i let it pump out a few litres before I put the bleed line back into the system and added the water wetter as specified on bottle and let the system bleed for awhile..You can add water wetter to your engine system you can add it to your existing distilled water and anti freeze combo. Id not recommend using just distilled water and water wetter without anti freeze in the engine system as the boiling point would be too low and the system pressure will become too much!
Yeah thats what I was reading... if you do straight distilled water the boiling point is too low. The problem I have with doing less then 50/50 coolant is rust, I fear it will start rusting up the parts inside the engine but I think if I do a 30% anti freeze it should still be fine. Here in Florida I don't even need anti freeze I just do the 50/50 because of its rust prevention and lubrication factors.

I really want to know which setup would work best for me so I will split the system leaving the 50/50 in both loops and I will add water wetter to both. I will log the temps then do distilled water / 30% anti freeze plus water wetter to see if it helps.

Also I am reading a lot of older threads that say split cooling does not help at all but I guess I will find out soon.
Most of them say the bmw res plus the tiny e class heat exchanger is too little fluid but I think for me it will work better since my heat exchanger is already bigger plus the kit I order hold more fluid then the bmw res.

Last edited by MartinWake; 10-12-2020 at 09:13 PM.