W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Diagnostic tools needed for a DIYer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mazda miata
Diagnostic tools needed for a DIYer

I'm looking at getting an e63 AMG with ~200k miles. I have a good amount of DIY experience and access to a lift, but I'm no expert by any means. Most of my cars have been pretty mechanically simple for the most part. E36 M3, FRS, GX470, 350z, and Miata. So this is going to be my first "high tech" car. I saw a sticky on using a module called "star" to lower the car..... not sure what that's about and haven't found a formal introduction to it.

Do y'all recommend a specific scan tool or anything for general stuff aside from an OBD reader? If so, how much would they cost?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-18-2020, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 207 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Originally Posted by FastDentist
I'm looking at getting an e63 AMG with ~200k miles. I have a good amount of DIY experience and access to a lift, but I'm no expert by any means. Most of my cars have been pretty mechanically simple for the most part. E36 M3, FRS, GX470, 350z, and Miata. So this is going to be my first "high tech" car. I saw a sticky on using a module called "star" to lower the car..... not sure what that's about and haven't found a formal introduction to it.

Do y'all recommend a specific scan tool or anything for general stuff aside from an OBD reader? If so, how much would they cost?

Thanks in advance!
Star is a shortened name of the MB diagnostic tool used by dealers and many independent shops. It can go by several different names such as SDS (Star Diagnostic System), Star, DAS (Diagnostic Assist System), and Xentry. It is the only tool that will not only report every fault code (many other tools will only report limited faults) but will also give detailed trouble shooting steps and testing procedures to confirm, also tie in to full detailed workshop repair manuals, and also allow you to fully activate whatever you are working on to make sure it is functioning. The car you are looking at likely has about 30 stand alone computers (control modules) that are all networked together through several networks. Those networks are also all conected together.

If you are planning on repairing and maintaining your MB then this is the only tool to have. It is not cheap, but one or two trips at the most to a repair shop will excide the cost of a Star system. These cars are not excessively difficult, but if you can't repair them yourself then they will drain your bank account in short order. A single repair alone can do that. You may find some additional info in the Tech Talk section of this forum: https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-tech-talk-41/ Good luck.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,010 Likes on 784 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
I went from a turbo 1st-generation (NA) Miata to a W210 E55 then a W211 E55. I regard myself as a pretty darn good DIY'r but the AMG came with a steep and expensive learning curve.

First, if you are a DIY'r, if you can't afford the tools, you can't afford the AMG. Just putting that out front. If you already have most of the tools, you're immediately ahead of the game.

-STAR/DAS/Xentry/WIS; you'll want to purchase a system capable of reading all of the digital modules in the car. Pmercury, Mackhack, or Shardul should be able to help you out. This should be your first purchase. Expect to spend a non-significant amount of money ($$$ but not $$$$). You will earn back that money by the fourth or fifth time you use the system. Do NOT buy a cheap Chinese knockoff trying to save a few bucks. You definitely want WIS as it provides good info such as, "The brake caliper bolts are one-time use and should be replaced upon removal". And info such as that 14mm bolt that is usually torqued to 90 foot-lbs is actually torqued to 130 foot-lbs on your AMG.
-A full set of internal/external Torx bits/sockets. And I mean full set; don't skip sizes as I learned to my dismay on the lower tensioner bolt on my engine.
-In a couple of instances, I had to use 5-point Star bits in very small sizes (T10 or smaller).
-Mercedes uses weird (to me) sizes of bolts and nuts. Stuff that I never saw on the Miatas in the 29 years I've owned multiples. 15mm? 18mm? 12mm Allen head bolt? Triplesquare(!)? Who the hell uses oddball sizes like those? Stuff like that. So, you may need to fill in any "holes" in your socket or combination wrenches sizes.
-If there is the slightest risk of rain, never make the mistake of leaving a window down, the sunroof open, or the hood open and the protective covers removed from the electronics. If your sunroof develops a leak, fix it yesterday! Nothing will kill your car as fast as a bit of water in the electronics.
-Grab a cold beverage and read the sticky (pages and pages!) at the top concerning STAR Diagnostic How-To. Your eyes will glaze over but there are nuggets buried in there. And it will give you an idea of what can be done with STAR (such as you can "brick" your car dead, dead, dead and it will take a dealer or someone with access to Mercedes' server to bring it back).

I love my E55 and it just rolled 190,000 miles today. Lots of effort and parts invested in it but I'm confident of the car.

Good luck to ya.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 11-18-2020 at 06:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
HLG600 (11-18-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 01:24 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
E55 AMG
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
-STAR/DAS/Xentry/WIS; you'll want to purchase a system capable of reading all of the digital modules in the car. Pmercury, Mackhack, or Shardul should be able to help you out. This should be your first purchase. Expect to spend a non-significant amount of money ($$$ but not $$$$). You will earn back that money by the fourth or fifth time you use the system. Do NOT buy a cheap Chinese knockoff trying to save a few bucks.
Aren't they all cheap Chinese knockoffs, with stolen software? A real Xentry 5 years ago was $25,000, that included a two, or three year subscription, which was $3,000 a year. Startekinfo is included.

I'm using an Autel 906BT, that seems to cover my E55, quite well. I'm sure the live data is a bit incomplete, but active modes, are not too bad, and all modules are read.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:34 AM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
04 e55
Originally Posted by FastDentist
I'm looking at getting an e63 AMG with ~200k miles. . So this is going to be my first "high tech" car. I saw a sticky on using a module called "star" to lower the car..... not
Thanks in advance!
i have a star setup i am selling
PM if interested