W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Do I have the dreaded E55 hiccup.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG
Do I have the dreaded E55 hiccup.

Hello all, I'm a relatively new owner to a 2006 E55 AMG. I bought this car sight unseen from up north and had it shipped down to FL. I bought the car knowing I would have to do some work. The first thing it needed was the rear main seal. After doing that I also removed the rear resonator to open her up a little bit. Short story, after the exhaust work I noticed vibrations when idling. The car shakes more in P than D. I can also feel the car shake when coming to a stop and applying light pressure on the brakes. Driving and above 1500rpm I can't feel it anymore. I recently did all spark plugs and spark plug wires because they needed to be replaced. I had the shake before and after I did spark plugs (I thought maybe it was the spark plugs). Mods that this car has done is 83mm fixed pulley, secondary HE, LTHs, bosch water pump, belt wrap kit, stage 3 tune. I'm currently running a bottle of Techron fuel cleaner through it. No improvements. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 207 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Originally Posted by Salty Fish
Hello all, I'm a relatively new owner to a 2006 E55 AMG. I bought this car sight unseen from up north and had it shipped down to FL. I bought the car knowing I would have to do some work. The first thing it needed was the rear main seal. After doing that I also removed the rear resonator to open her up a little bit. Short story, after the exhaust work I noticed vibrations when idling. The car shakes more in P than D. I can also feel the car shake when coming to a stop and applying light pressure on the brakes. Driving and above 1500rpm I can't feel it anymore. I recently did all spark plugs and spark plug wires because they needed to be replaced. I had the shake before and after I did spark plugs (I thought maybe it was the spark plugs). Mods that this car has done is 83mm fixed pulley, secondary HE, LTHs, bosch water pump, belt wrap kit, stage 3 tune. I'm currently running a bottle of Techron fuel cleaner through it. No improvements. Any help would be appreciated.
Careful inspection of the engine and trans mounts are warrented. These are a maintenance item but often ignored.
The following users liked this post:
Muhtish (03-12-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by machild
Careful inspection of the engine and trans mounts are warrented. These are a maintenance item but often ignored.
That's definitely on the list, but it doesn't seem to be a steady vibration as engine/tranny mounts usually cause. It's more like it's pulsating. Almost as if it's running lean. Also, issues wasn't there about two months ago. I'm going to be taking throttle body cleaner to the throttle body blade this weekend..
Old 03-12-2021, 07:05 PM

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
E55 amg
Originally Posted by Salty Fish
That's definitely on the list, but it doesn't seem to be a steady vibration as engine/tranny mounts usually cause. It's more like it's pulsating. Almost as if it's running lean. Also, issues wasn't there about two months ago. I'm going to be taking throttle body cleaner to the throttle body blade this weekend..
Next time you should ppi a car..Buying a e55 moded is very risky and you don't know the real treatment of it..Hope you engine compression is ok ,but i would change the plugs, inspect the mounts and leak down test that engine
The following users liked this post:
951turbo (06-17-2023)
Old 03-12-2021, 11:05 PM

Received 158 Likes on 110 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
LTHs rubbing anywhere? I'm guessing you had them off to do the rear main seal, and there can be fitment issues with those that transfer vibration. I'm assuming they have ports in them, it might not be a bad idea to pick up at least a single sensor wideband sensor (you could always sell it later) to make sure the tune is in order and AFRs are good.

An easy way to at least eliminate the engine mounts as a problem before buying new ones - grab two ratchet straps and strap the mounts down. If things change or go away, you know it's a drivetrain mount issue. You'd be surprised at how smooth it feels at idle with mounts strapped down, just ask me how I know
Old 03-13-2021, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by oneslow55
Next time you should ppi a car..Buying a e55 moded is very risky and you don't know the real treatment of it..Hope you engine compression is ok ,but i would change the plugs, inspect the mounts and leak down test that engine
Car was purchased with a PPI. Had a perfect STAR compression test. Techs mentioned RMS and seeping valve covers. Everything else came back good. Car did not have any CELs or shake when I got the car.
Old 03-13-2021, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by GinDistiller
LTHs rubbing anywhere? I'm guessing you had them off to do the rear main seal, and there can be fitment issues with those that transfer vibration. I'm assuming they have ports in them, it might not be a bad idea to pick up at least a single sensor wideband sensor (you could always sell it later) to make sure the tune is in order and AFRs are good.

An easy way to at least eliminate the engine mounts as a problem before buying new ones - grab two ratchet straps and strap the mounts down. If things change or go away, you know it's a drivetrain mount issue. You'd be surprised at how smooth it feels at idle with mounts strapped down, just ask me how I know
LTHs definitely rub, but only at 70% throttle or more. Basically only feel it when the pedal is down to the floor. I took a video when I got home of the exhaust and you can clearly tell the irregularities in the idle. Might have to upload it somewhere and post it tomorrow.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:54 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Wobble on idle

Hi guys,
Not trying to steal this thread. I'm a new owner of 2006 E55 with 73k miles. Noticed a slight wobble when the car is started. The wobble/shake is side to side when the car idles. I don't feel it when driving, but at times on low speeds when the transmission is upshifting, there is a slight hiccup and car would jerk slightly.
As far as I know, mounts have not been changed, nor the sparkplugs. I've read that at times 8th cylinder can be problematic. Could this be the cause?
Thank you in advance.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:09 AM

Received 158 Likes on 110 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
Originally Posted by Muhtish
Hi guys,
Not trying to steal this thread. I'm a new owner of 2006 E55 with 73k miles. Noticed a slight wobble when the car is started. The wobble/shake is side to side when the car idles. I don't feel it when driving, but at times on low speeds when the transmission is upshifting, there is a slight hiccup and car would jerk slightly.
As far as I know, mounts have not been changed, nor the sparkplugs. I've read that at times 8th cylinder can be problematic. Could this be the cause?
Thank you in advance.
I'd change mounts and plugs regardless but those are the most likely culprits for the shake at idle. The hiccup you feel at low speeds is probably the supercharger clutch engaging and is completely normal. 8th cylinder issues are usually catastrophic failures, and I honestly wouldn't spend time worrying unless the car is heavily modified, you have misfire codes etc. Earlier E55s suffered more but injectors changed for your year to better ones I believe. Happy driving!
Old 07-11-2021, 08:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
E55 AMG
Hey, did you ever solved your problem? what was it?

Thanks