Sponsored by:

Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 R8 V10, 2013 Cayenne GTS, 2014 GLK 250
Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts

I picked up a black on black 2014 E63 S 4 door on the weekend. Traded in a 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS based on a stellar lease rate.

Love the look of the vehicle. It came with the 5 spoke rims and looks very athletic, especially from the rear 3/4 view. Prior to pickup, it was run over to another shop and had extensive Xpel Ultimate placed on both front fenders, complete hood, above the windshield and between the front of the sunroof, A pillars, front spoiler, mirrors, and rocker panels. Also had Clearplex placed on the windshield. I have done this on several vehicles before this and have not had a rock chip issue that I can recall.

I have to admit that breaking it in is torture. I am off for holidays as of next week and plan on getting through the break in period pretty quickly if I can.

Some initial positive impressions: fit and finish is very nice. The quality of the materials, including the leather dash speaks to the attention to detail with this vehicle. I connected my iPhone's data connection and was able to access my city's traffic cameras which is nice so that I can see which of two routes I may want to take to avoid traffic. The front camera is one of the most impressive features I have seen in a vehicle. I have never had a problem with running into curbs or cement parking barriers, but it is nice to have this feature when parking in the garage. The cold startup sound is a nice way to start the day as well. Seats are generally comfortable, but not as good as Porsche or BMW, I find. I should qualify that by saying that the Cayenne had 18way seats and in my 2012 X5, I had the comforts seats. I think that it would be nice if the seat cushion had a little bit more of an extension at the front. I'll touch on ergonomic issues below. The 4Matc is very impressive. I still believe that BMW's xDrive is the best of the all wheel drive systems. I had Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's installed on the rims prior to delivery (255 all the way around).

Things that I am less enamoured with: COMAND is an unmitigated disaster. I had it in a 2011 GL and it remains pretty bad. Coupled with the center consoles overabundance of buttons, Mercedes really has to step up to the plate and fix the interior of their vehicles as it relates to it's interface with the front seat operators. iDrive completely blows this way, but that is not even the issue. iDrive is probably into its 4th or 5th generation and COMAND keeps limping along with its useless interface. All of the buttons on the right side of the console (telephone numbers), and on the left side should be accessible with buttons around the controller in the centre floor console. Anything that requires the driver to lean out of their seat to press a button in this day and age is not intelligent design IMHO. Further, if those buttons are relocated in this manner, then the temperature controls can be raised up. Mercedes really has to own this issue and come out with something that is up to date and stunning as the driving technologies that they put into the vehicles. If they are truly interested in expanding their customer base, they need to realize that they have to be able to compete on all aspects of the vehicle including exterior (I think they win with the E63 vs M5), power train (again, I think they win, except on transmission), and interior (lose based on driver interface).

Ergonomically, again, the accessory driver seat controls between the right leg bolster and centre floor console is not that great. They could have easily relocated those to the left side of the driver's seat for better visibility.

I haven't had a chance to play with iPhone integration yet, so I might have more to offer on that.

I realize this may sound like nitpicking, but with the amount of money that we all spend on these vehicles, I feel that these issues should have been more well thought out to begin with.

My $0.02.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 BS, 2011 SLS, 2014 CLS63-S
I appreciate the write up

I do tend to agree with you on most accounts. Hopefully, Mercedes will update these obvious issues sooner rather than later

Please update the thread once you have fulfilled that pesky break-in period.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 AMG GTS
nice write up! lets see some pics
Old 12-09-2013, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Like I learned in court, if you don't document it (pictures), it probably didn't happen.
I also kind of agree with the buttons all over the dash. Have fun.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:47 PM

2014 E63 S
Originally Posted by 2thdr
I picked up a black on black 2014 E63 S 4 door on the weekend. Traded in a 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS based on a stellar lease rate.

Love the look of the vehicle. It came with the 5 spoke rims and looks very athletic, especially from the rear 3/4 view. Prior to pickup, it was run over to another shop and had extensive Xpel Ultimate placed on both front fenders, complete hood, above the windshield and between the front of the sunroof, A pillars, front spoiler, mirrors, and rocker panels. Also had Clearplex placed on the windshield. I have done this on several vehicles before this and have not had a rock chip issue that I can recall.

I have to admit that breaking it in is torture. I am off for holidays as of next week and plan on getting through the break in period pretty quickly if I can.

Some initial positive impressions: fit and finish is very nice. The quality of the materials, including the leather dash speaks to the attention to detail with this vehicle. I connected my iPhone's data connection and was able to access my city's traffic cameras which is nice so that I can see which of two routes I may want to take to avoid traffic. The front camera is one of the most impressive features I have seen in a vehicle. I have never had a problem with running into curbs or cement parking barriers, but it is nice to have this feature when parking in the garage. The cold startup sound is a nice way to start the day as well. Seats are generally comfortable, but not as good as Porsche or BMW, I find. I should qualify that by saying that the Cayenne had 18way seats and in my 2012 X5, I had the comforts seats. I think that it would be nice if the seat cushion had a little bit more of an extension at the front. I'll touch on ergonomic issues below. The 4Matc is very impressive. I still believe that BMW's xDrive is the best of the all wheel drive systems. I had Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's installed on the rims prior to delivery (255 all the way around).

Things that I am less enamoured with: COMAND is an unmitigated disaster. I had it in a 2011 GL and it remains pretty bad. Coupled with the center consoles overabundance of buttons, Mercedes really has to step up to the plate and fix the interior of their vehicles as it relates to it's interface with the front seat operators. iDrive completely blows this way, but that is not even the issue. iDrive is probably into its 4th or 5th generation and COMAND keeps limping along with its useless interface. All of the buttons on the right side of the console (telephone numbers), and on the left side should be accessible with buttons around the controller in the centre floor console. Anything that requires the driver to lean out of their seat to press a button in this day and age is not intelligent design IMHO. Further, if those buttons are relocated in this manner, then the temperature controls can be raised up. Mercedes really has to own this issue and come out with something that is up to date and stunning as the driving technologies that they put into the vehicles. If they are truly interested in expanding their customer base, they need to realize that they have to be able to compete on all aspects of the vehicle including exterior (I think they win with the E63 vs M5), power train (again, I think they win, except on transmission), and interior (lose based on driver interface).

Ergonomically, again, the accessory driver seat controls between the right leg bolster and centre floor console is not that great. They could have easily relocated those to the left side of the driver's seat for better visibility.

I haven't had a chance to play with iPhone integration yet, so I might have more to offer on that.

I realize this may sound like nitpicking, but with the amount of money that we all spend on these vehicles, I feel that these issues should have been more well thought out to begin with.

My $0.02.
It's not nit-picking. I had many of the same complaints when I bought my 2014. In particular, I agree that COMMAND is a huge disaster.

A few things I like (which I haven't seen mentioned before):
- I like the fact that my 4300 lb 577hp E63 gets better gas mileage than my 3700lb 414hp M3!

- I like the handling. The car, to me, feels lighter than it is.

- I like freeway merges

I will say I generally like the iPhone integration with one exception: I can't figure out how to select a song on the iPhone. I can scroll forward and backwards in the song lists but I can't determine how to select a specific song.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:32 PM

2007 Corvette Z06/2011 BMW M3
Congrats. Lets see some pics.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E55 AMG; 1991 Previa

My $0.02.
Comparing to the bimmer interior the MBZ i think lags like 2-3 gens behind them. The iDrive system on my 2010 750i was set in the right spot and I can honestly say I've used navi systems and in the bimmer I was able to punch in my destination faster than on my iPhone or TomTom. That along with the 1000 way adjustable seats I enjoy the bimmer interior. You hit it on the nail when you said driver interface on the bimmer is top notch and really nothing can compare. PICS!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-09-2013, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Good write up. BTW, what's this front camera you have mentioned?
Old 12-09-2013, 07:39 PM

Working on pics for the thread...it's dark in Canada!

Otakki, when I press the system button and scroll to 360 camera, the COMAND screen presents a forward looking camera with a red line to indicate when to stop before an impending front end impact. When I have lined the red line up against something in my garage or a parking curb, I have noticed that I still have about 30cm of free play before actually hitting anything.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63 S
It's a full 360 degree camera, and is quite awesome. I just wish it was available on a toggle switch so that it was easier to get to, so that I could switch to it when entering a parking lot without having to navigate to it.

to the OP, congrats on the car. You are taking delivery in some pretty crappy weather, wait until you get to unload all that power, it will seem like a whole new car.

Also curious to hear your thoughts on the E63 relative to the R8, which I very nearly purchased and may still grab as a second car.

Looks like we have a nice Alberta following with the new E63!
Old 12-09-2013, 10:21 PM

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
2021 GLS63
Congrats on the new car! I agree with much of what you said and much of how you have set up your car (I also run the Michelin Alpin PA4s in 255 but on different wheels, and I had a bunch of Expel put on the car (not quiet that much). ) How much was the Clearplex?

Get us some pics!

X
Old 12-09-2013, 10:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
993, 2014 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by Chocofishez
It's a full 360 degree camera, and is quite awesome. I just wish it was available on a toggle switch so that it was easier to get to, so that I could switch to it when entering a parking lot without having to navigate to it.
...!
You can also switch the 360 camera on by holding down the SYS key. But I find it's actually quicker to press SYS then scroll over to 360 camera.

But, yes, the 360 camera is possibly my favorite feature. Never any fear or curbing the front lower parts if you use this!
Old 12-10-2013, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Chocofishez

to the OP, congrats on the car. You are taking delivery in some pretty crappy weather, wait until you get to unload all that power, it will seem like a whole new car.

Also curious to hear your thoughts on the E63 relative to the R8, which I very nearly purchased and may still grab as a second car.

Looks like we have a nice Alberta following with the new E63!

Chocofishez, thank you. I have to admit, I am curious about the comparison between the R8 and the E63 come summer time. I am still in break in period so I can't say that I have a comprehensive appreciation for this car as of yet. The R8 is just special...I only drive it in the evenings and weekends in the summer but is just straight therapy. Whether a long day, difficult patient, or the Edmonton Oilers losing another game (lol), just walking up to that car brings a smile to my face. During the summer, it is just amazingly fun to drive around aimlessly through the city or out to Sylvan Lake and enjoy the vehicle and the ride. It does attract a lot of attention, which is both fun and sometimes disconcerting if someone tries to lean in on the bodywork to have a picture taken with it.

It is modified with a Larini Race Exhaust which, IMHO, is the closest thing to an F1-like sound that there is for this engine. Some sound clips:

I used to have a heavily modified e92 M3 with an Eisenmann Race exhaust, but I promised my wife I would sell it if found a nice R8. That vehicle was amazing as well. The R8 just takes it to another level...handles beautifully, looks amazing, the sound emanating from behind your head on hard acceleration is a religious experience. If you are contemplating it, I would whole-heartedly encourage you to get one.

Once the break in is done, my friend and I are going to go head to head with both cars to see which one comes out on top....I think it may be the E63.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by 335X-ray
Congrats on the new car! I agree with much of what you said and much of how you have set up your car (I also run the Michelin Alpin PA4s in 255 but on different wheels, and I had a bunch of Expel put on the car (not quiet that much). ) How much was the Clearplex?

Get us some pics!

X
The Clearplex was $480 installed. I honestly believe it has already saved me from a few chips. Not sure why we put pebbles on our roads up here???
Old 12-10-2013, 10:09 AM

Pics coming after this weekend. A friend is detailing it with Polish Angel products and I am going to grab pics in his garage when he is done.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
That 360 camera must be one of the new perks of the '14 onward models. It certainly wasn't available before. It must be nice not having to worry about curbing the front. The only certain way for me to avoid that is to back the car into the space, but it's such a hassle. So where is the front camera located?
Old 12-10-2013, 03:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
'14 E63S, '13 G550, '06 E320 cdi, and a bunch of other stuff.
360 camera goes active when reverse is activated and remains on until you exceed 20mph.

And, as TOE mentioned, it may be activated via the SYS button on the center stack
Old 12-10-2013, 04:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'10 F150 FX4 SCrew. '14 S212S
The Clearplex was $480 installed. I honestly believe it has already saved me from a few chips. Not sure why we put pebbles on our roads up here???
They aren't pebbles in Calgary. They are pretty much boulders.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:52 AM

Pics!!!!!!!

Sorry for the delay. I had the vehicle detailed last weekend and was waiting for pictures to be taken.

For those interested in the nitty gritty of the detail job, here is the link: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ad.php?t=74371.

Here are the first of the pics with more to follow.
Attached Thumbnails Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment.jpeg   Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-34.jpeg   Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-41.jpeg   Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-28.jpeg   Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-47.jpeg  

Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-33.jpeg  
Old 12-18-2013, 08:59 AM

Pics...

More to come.
Attached Thumbnails Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-44.jpeg   Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-12.jpeg   Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-15.jpeg   Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-22.jpg   Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-24.jpeg  

Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-18.jpeg  
Old 12-18-2013, 09:02 AM

Pics....

And they keep coming...
Attached Thumbnails Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-48.jpeg   Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-49.jpeg   Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-52.jpeg   Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-1.jpeg   Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-6.jpeg  

Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-7.jpeg  
Old 12-18-2013, 09:09 AM

Picsapalooza

More to come...
Attached Thumbnails Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-23.jpeg   Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-17.jpeg   Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-3.jpeg   Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-32.jpeg   Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-40.jpeg  

Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-37.jpeg  
Old 12-18-2013, 09:15 AM

More pics...

Just a few more left.
Attached Thumbnails Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-51.jpeg   Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-2.jpeg   Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-30.jpeg   Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-36.jpeg   Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-50.jpeg  

Old 12-18-2013, 09:18 AM

Pics....

Third last set.
Attached Thumbnails Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-53.jpg   Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-4.jpeg   Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-5.jpeg   Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-8.jpeg   Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-11.jpg  

Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-13.jpeg  

Last edited by 2thdr; 12-18-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:23 AM

Pics....

Second last set.
Attached Thumbnails Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-31.jpeg   Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-38.jpeg   Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-39.jpeg   Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-19.jpeg   Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-20.jpeg  

Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts-mail-attachment-21.jpeg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Picked up on the weekend - some initial thoughts