W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

Anyone experiencing this? 2014 E63 weird tapping sensation btwn 40-60km/h

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 10:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 E63 S Hyacinth Red with Designo Ivory interior/ 2015 GLE63S Cavansite Blue
Exclamation Anyone experiencing this? 2014 E63 weird tapping sensation btwn 40-60km/h

I just purchased a brand new 2104 E63 a week ago, and drove out of dealership with no issues. I came from a 2012 C63 and this car is definitely different. Very refined compared to the rawness of NA 6.2L, which I kinda miss.

The car has been driven conservatively while still in the breaking-in phase. No WOT on this car as yet, and has never gone past 4500 rpm on any gear. I have been using 'C' mode all this time.

Today, drove out of the garage and felt a dull 'tapping' sensation at my accelerator pedal and the floor of the car - felt through my right foot. The rate/ speed of the 'tapping' is directly proportional to the speed. Ie. as I accelerate faster, the rate of 'tapping' increases. The 'tapping' starts when I am about 40 km/hr to 60 km/hr and it disappears as it goes past 60 km/h and below 40 km/hr. Anyone experience this?

I, initially, thought it occurred only driven at 3rd gear but when I drove with manual, it occurs with 2nd gear too at the speed range stated above.

The engine seems fine, no weird sounds or jerking movements or whatsover.
But this 'tapping' sensation is driving me insane and at times, it can be very apparent, and felt by the passenger as well. It almost feels like there is something stuck on one of the tyres and as the tyres runs on the ground in oscillations, it produces that 'tapping' feel. It also produces a repetitive dull sound with the 'tapping' sensation.

Another way to described it is when you drive over a row of road indicators but the feeling is not as exaggerated as that.

Anyone know what is happening? Could it be transmission issue?
Other than that, the car runs pretty well. I hope it is not a lemon!

What is so weird is that the first 300 km was absolutely fine. It is now only at 410 km on odometer - still fresh out of showroom.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'14 E63S, '13 G550, '06 E320 cdi, and a bunch of other stuff.
Check tire for stone stuck in the tread or perhaps a screw puncture.

It sounds like something tire related to me.

Roll down the windows and see if you can isolate the noise to one corner of the vehicle.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you sure it's not the vibration warnings from Lane Keeping Assist? You can test by turning it off.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 E63 S Hyacinth Red with Designo Ivory interior/ 2015 GLE63S Cavansite Blue
Thanks guys. It is certainly not any stone/ nail on the tires, although I did suspect that initially. Checked all tyres and nothing there.
Also, definitely not lane assist either - steering does not vibrate.

It is definitely coming from beneath the car. And the tapping sensation from the pedal has somewhat diminished but still present. I will find time to bring it back to dealership for evaluation.

Also, with my climate control, I do not have the option to heat/ cool the upper vents AND feet vents at the same time. What's up with that?
I can do that separately by itself but cannot get them running at the same time!
This E63 AMG-S clearly has some issues. Not happy at all.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,167 Likes on 1,523 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
This tapping you describe... Could u really mean vibration?