I need some advice for my E63-S, Winter setup or all-seasons,

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 11:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 E63 S-AMG
Exclamation I need some advice for my E63-S, Winter setup or all-seasons,

Hey,

I have a 2014 E63-S sedan which came with 19's and Pirelli tires, I personally can not stand Pirellis, they are awesome on the track but are horrible in the city. Very harsh and noisy ride.

I am not planning on taking my car back to the track anytime soon and am trying to decide if I should get a nice set of all season high performance tires to keep on all year round or should i just get a winter setup with a separate set of 18" wheels and tires for the winter only.

I love the look of my stock wheels and don't want to kill it with 18's that will plow through snow, at the same time i don't want to deal with the headache of swapping tires each season.

How do the all seasons hold up for both performance and winter snow driving. I am deciding on these:

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (W- or Y-Speed Rated) Ultra High Performance All-Season

or these

Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S Ultra High Performance All-Season

The Yokohama are much cheaper and have great specs but not many reviews our there. What do you guys say, how do these all-seasons hold up on our cars for daily aggressive driving / winter snow and summer heat.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Would love to hear from folks who have run the new A/S3's in snow/ice w 4Matic. I hear they are amazing all around.

I have run the old A/S series in snow in a RWD C63 and they aren't drivable, but I suspect thats the nature of the car (without snows, doesnt move in snow/ice).
Old 09-10-2014, 11:56 AM

2014 E63 S-AMG
I am torn because I don't usually drive my e in extreme winter snow either way, but I do want a safe ride home from work in the event that I do. I hate swapping wheels and tires so do I just get these Michelin and call it a day.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:34 PM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2014 E63 S
I have 2 items of advice:

1. 18s do not fit on 4-matics, so you'll need 19s for winters (you should check out the lengthy thread on winter setups); and

2. IMO, all seasons are a total waste for a car like this as you are assured mediocre performance in all conditions -- go with dedicated summer and winter setups.

My $0.02.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 AMG GTS
i went with Pirelli sotto zeros, its what AMG recommends they worked great for me, didnt even sacrifice a whole lot of performance!
Old 09-10-2014, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 e63 s amg
Spot on

Originally Posted by HPMan
I have 2 items of advice:

1. 18s do not fit on 4-matics, so you'll need 19s for winters (you should check out the lengthy thread on winter setups); and

2. IMO, all seasons are a total waste for a car like this as you are assured mediocre performance in all conditions -- go with dedicated summer and winter setups.

My $0.02.
You are exactly correct all season is no season.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
2019 E63 S
I drive a 501 hp, 580 lbs-ft of torque Dinan stage 2 tuned four-wheel-drive BMW 550 (down 76 Bhp and 10 lbs-ft of torque to the E63S and at 4420 weighing just a hair less than the E63 S) and have been using Michelin Pilot Sport AS+ and now Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 for the last three years.

The AS3s are excellent tires for summer use as well as in wet weather or in cold weather. They have huge levels of dry and wet grip and the reviews on that point are accurate when they say the tire has as much summer cornering grip as the old Michelin PS2 but not as much as the Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

In my last rear wheel drive V8 BMW, a 2009 550i, I used Continental and Hankook Ventus summer tires and I can tell you with confidence that the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3s have at least as much cornering grip as those two dedicated summer tires if not more. I have gone on some all-out mountain twisty driving meets with my AS3s (most recently the epic Pennsylvania State Route 125/Gold Mine Road rally held by the club AMG of the Northeast -- the biggest AMG owner club in the US) and they have performed fantastically well.

In stark contrast, my mother's 2014 Mercedes E350 has Continental all season tires which are absolute crap and will squeal like a schoolgirl at a Justin Bieber concert if you go around the corner even moderately fast and start to slide out. The all seasons on her car are very typical of the way people think most all season perform--lousy dry grip. My AS3 are light-years ahead of those pieces of garbage. They corner like summer tires believe me--I am a twisty handling/sharp low speed mountain switchback turn fantastic

But where the rubber really hits the road and what really differentiates ultra high performance all seasons from dedicated snow tires is in grip in the snow. In that situation, my Michelin pilot sport AS3s are not even closely comparable to the grip of dedicated snow tires. Because of the four-wheel-drive, they will usually get you going but stopping is an altogether different matter. They lack the dedicated winter compounds of dedicated snow tires that bite into the snow and stop the car. I was fine with them driving around in snow on the streets of Manhattan but no way in hell would I want those tires on hills or on unplowed roads. When I hit the the brake in snow, my AS3s slide instead of grip

Accordingly to me, if you're in a climate where it only very occasionally snows and you're not likely to be driving in it or only driving in it for very short periods of time, the Michelin pilot sport AS3s are perfect tires if you want only one set of tires. That is how I roll in my current outgoing BMW.

But if you're going to go skiing up in the mountains or live somewhere where it really snows, you must get dedicated snow tires for the winter. Four-wheel-drive will help you go but neither it nor all season tires will help you stop in the snow. Only dedicated snow tires will do that in the snow. Same with cornering.

For my incoming 2015 E63 S I am using the stock 19 inch AMG split 5 spoke forged wheels for the winter and went with the 255/35/19 Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II in front and 285/30/19s in back. Given that NYC is not Vermont, I wanted the staggered tires for dry weather and cold weather performance (at the expense of a bit of snow traction). Indeed, the Tire Rack product expert I spoke with on the phone thought that that was the better setup for this very powerful car (as opposed to the squared 255/25/19 setup) because: (1) he felt that the power of the car and the 67 percent rear torque split warrants the better dry and cold traction of the 285s in back; and (2) the 255s, while they will fit on the 9.5 inch rear wheels, will be a little stretched which will lead to less pothole compliance.

For my summer setup I will be running the stock summer Contis (until they wear out) with 19 inch HRE RS 101s (9 inches in front and 10 inches in back).

Last edited by sdg1871; 09-10-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:56 PM

'14 E63S, '13 G550, '06 E320 cdi, and a bunch of other stuff.
https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...revisited.html
Old 09-10-2014, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Agree on the AS3's. All season = no season is not as relevant as it used to be. The Pilot A/S line from Michelin is no joke.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
Go winter all the way..a/s tires are a waste.
Even tho I drive my ML63 as daily driver which includes winter (and we get major winter up here) I still opted for grips all around which i mounted on wheels from my MB dealer..genuine MB wheels and although I went with Pirelli I'd go either Blizzack of studded Nokian Hakapalitta8 next time. I did down size also...here's a few pics

Last edited by Nanook; 09-10-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 162 Posts
Trek Bike
Originally Posted by gstatus929
I am torn because I don't usually drive my e in extreme winter snow either way, but I do want a safe ride home from work in the event that I do. I hate swapping wheels and tires so do I just get these Michelin and call it a day.
Believe there is a thread with report on new michelin tires from e63 owners, check for feedback
I was lucky to get my car with contis and will keep them
On my wife's C class replaced pirellis with a/s 3 and they are great
You get what you pay for....
Old 09-11-2014, 06:27 AM

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Mine: 2014 E550 4matic; Hers: 2016 CLS 400 4matic
Out of high performance all season tires the Conti DWS has the reputation as providing for the best winter traction. I had the A/S 2s on my previous car and they were awesome.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E63 S
Originally Posted by Munich77
Out of high performance all season tires the Conti DWS has the reputation as providing for the best winter traction. I had the A/S 2s on my previous car and they were awesome.
Correct. The Conti DWS tires are geared more for winter performance than the Michelins Pilot Sport AS3s which are geared more toward drier, wet and summer performance. The DWS tires are reported to have softer sidewalls. But neither is a substitute for snow tires in the snow.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E63 S
Originally Posted by 6G Schnell
Believe there is a thread with report on new michelin tires from e63 owners, check for feedback
I was lucky to get my car with contis and will keep them
On my wife's C class replaced pirellis with a/s 3 and they are great
You get what you pay for....
You mean this one?

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/519154-anyone-using-michelin-pilot-sport-s-3-all-season-tires.html
Old 09-11-2014, 09:54 AM

2015 E63s, 2012 E63-all done , Saab 9-5 Aero (2) Honda CBR 929-sold
I put the CONTI DWS on my car up here in NH for the winter months. Did a lot of research, and have used the CONTI on SAABS since they were the extreme contact, then the next gen DWS. IMHO, DWS are an excellent all season tire in all conditions, and are one of the (if not the) best all season perf. tires in snow conditions up to 6 inches. Read several reviews from 911 owners who swear by them. They worked perfectly for years on SAAB Aeros for me and family. However, the staggered size and lowered profile for the e63, along with the e63 being a larger (heavier) car, stress the sidewall characteristics of this tire., at least in my experience. Even though Continental reps said they were perfect for the car, and would work aok, they simply cannot keep up with the handling of the car. The sidewalls are not stiff/strong enough. That is the tradeoff. You don't have to worry about getting stuck in snow short of a blizzard or a dump, but you do have to dial back your driving(particularly high speed cornering) while you have them on . They are also excellent in rain and heavy rain. Your experience may vary. Regards.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:21 AM

2014 E63 Sedan
Like many stated, the threads are worth looking at for a winter setup. Also, like many posted, go with a dedicated winter tire vs an all-season, especially if it's a daily driver and depending where you live, etc.

I secured a set of 14' CLS550 (19" as that's the only size that will work from what I've read here) rims for my E63 Sedan and debating on Sotto Zero's/PA4's/Nokian Hakkapellita R2's with a squared setup 255/35/19.

As mine is a daily driver, I'm willing to give up spirited driving while the winter tires are mounted, although they're performance winter tires, for winter grip and security during inclement weather.

I will add that everyone has their own opinion on which tire to use, many on-line reviews, including tire shops, etc. I remember the Blizzak LM-60's (now discontinued) were much better in the snow/ice as they were super soft, but, they did not fare well in wet weather (rain). With the LM-32's as the replacement, I personally feel they're on par with the PA'4/Sotto's, etc. Some say the R2's aren't well in wet weather and great in the snow. I've also read that they are good in wet weather...

Can you base your decision on last years winter? No. BUT, if we have a winter here in NY like last year or past couple of years, I'd rather air on the side of caution and get Nokian. My luck, it won't snow as much and I'll melt the softer R2's LOL... DECISIONS!!!! LOL...
Old 09-11-2014, 11:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63 S
Originally Posted by nstanford99
i went with Pirelli sotto zeros, its what AMG recommends they worked great for me, didnt even sacrifice a whole lot of performance!
+1 to this... I had always been a michelin guy prior to getting the pirellis but I was impressed by them. I drove them hard in lukewarm dry conditions several times and was not let down by these tires.

I also drove them in -25C and in snowy weather and the car did just fine.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Chocofishez
+1 to this... I had always been a michelin guy prior to getting the pirellis but I was impressed by them. I drove them hard in lukewarm dry conditions several times and was not let down by these tires.

Yepp!! they are amazing, im a michelin summer tire guy, love the pilot SS!! but these pirelli sottos are amazing, you really dont lose all that much performance with them! Great set up! i would strongly recommend these, i think all seasons are a waste of time on this car
Old 09-11-2014, 05:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
'19 GLC 63S, '17 911 TTS Cabrio, '16 Viper TA2.0, '15 E63S (sold),'12 Harley CVO 2212cc
Originally Posted by Chocofishez

Do you have the Sotto's in staggered or squared set-up ?.
Montreal's winter can get real nasty also
Old 09-11-2014, 10:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2008 Saab 93 TurboX SC (BSR stage 1)/2014 E63 S Wagon (Rebellion Tuned/Renntech Sport Mufflers)
Originally Posted by SilveRT8

Pretty sure he went with staggered, as opposed to the square setup with the Michelin PA4 (not available in 285/30 for the rear).

I agree with dedicated winter/summer setup. Pain in the *** to swap tires but totally worth it in our winter... I remember trying to get up the street with my parent's car on AS tires back in my teenage years before winter tires were mandatory and going backwards... not fun!
Old 09-11-2014, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E63 S
Originally Posted by SilveRT8
"My baby need new shoes, her momma need Giseppis
Mercedes need new shoes surrounded with Pirellis". -- Ludacris, "Mouths to Feed"

Seriously, I got the staggered Pirellis for this coming winter. Would hate to have only 255s handling the car's massive torque when dry.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 162 Posts
Trek Bike
Originally Posted by sdg1871
YES
Old 09-11-2014, 11:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
'19 GLC 63S, '17 911 TTS Cabrio, '16 Viper TA2.0, '15 E63S (sold),'12 Harley CVO 2212cc
Originally Posted by kart125
Pretty sure he went with staggered, as opposed to the square setup with the Michelin PA4 (not available in 285/30 for the rear).
One little voice in my head says go staggered Pirellis for the looks, but the reasonable one says squared PA4 like yours
Old 09-12-2014, 12:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63 S
Yes I went with OEM staggered sizes.

285s are big on the back but it's a heavy car. In calgary we get chinooks so it can warm up and dry up in the winter so I wanted a set up that would give me good performance on dry (but cold) roads.

But we also had 11cm of snow here this week! Kind of wish I got a second set of rims so I could have swapped into my winters... Instead my wife had to drive me to work! I left winters (also sottozeros) on her C350 all year. Glad I did!
Old 09-12-2014, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E63 S
My winter Pirellis arrived today and they are now sitting in my storage unit wedding the January arrival of the E63 S. Given that only one type of snow tire fits in the original equipment sizes I figured it was better to get them now then in the winter when they might be out of stock. Have any of you had problems getting them during the winter?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I need some advice for my E63-S, Winter setup or all-seasons,