MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W212 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg-146/)
-   -   My 2015 E63 S Sedan Being Modded by Detailing Dynamics in Mineola, Long Island (https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/571211-my-2015-e63-s-sedan-being-modded-detailing-dynamics-mineola-long-island.html)

sdg1871 01-15-2015 07:13 PM

My 2015 E63 S Sedan Being Modded by Detailing Dynamics in Mineola, Long Island

6 Attachment(s)
Well now that I have taken delivery, my car is now at Detailing Dynamics in Mineola being modded. Stage 1 of the mods are: (1) full XPEL ultimate clear bra; (2) full tints; and (3) Clearplex on windshield. I decided not to paint the calipers as the red works with the red taillights. Should get the car back next week early on. Then on to MB of Rockville Centre for the Renntech full tune, Renntech catted downpipes and Renntech sport mufflers.

Below are pictures of Detailing Dynamics applying the XPEL Ultimate clear bra to the entire car. I was there for hours and it is not done yet. It is super labor intensive to do correctly and two professionals are doing it at the same time. This is a first tier wrap job. As part of it, Detailing Dynamics removes the exterior parts/trim in order to avoid showing breaks or seams in the XPEL wrap. They pull the wrap around the edges of the parts so they do not show seams. Based on the incredible job they did on my 991 TTS, I do not expect to see any visible seams in the XPEL. But doing it that way takes money and lots of time.

Enjoy the pics!

sdg1871 01-15-2015 07:16 PM

6 Attachment(s)
More pictures of the XPEL wrapping:

sdg1871 01-15-2015 07:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Still more pictures of the application of the XPEL

Lenin 01-15-2015 08:01 PM

Scott, do you know if these guys are employees of the shop or a visiting crew? Mineola is just kind of far for me and would be a PITA to travel back and forth.
This is coming out very nice. I can see how it is a two person job.

InTheBenz0 01-15-2015 08:11 PM

Whats the cost of the xpel job you are doing?

sdg1871 01-15-2015 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lenin (Post 6296787)
Scott, do you know if these guys are employees of the shop or a visiting crew? Mineola is just kind of far for me and would be a PITA to travel back and forth.
This is coming out very nice. I can see how it is a two person job.

Thanks! Yes it is a two person job if you want it done right. It is also a two day job at minimum to do it right.

The job is being done by DD employees -- not contractors or jobbers. The owners (Eddie and Matt) come over and help too. Eddie wrapped my 991 TTS in XPEL with an employee the day after Christmas.

DD is extraordinarily busy and is constantly wrapping cars in XPEL every day. When I was there they were also doing a full XPEL wrap on a brand-new 991 GT3.

They have the business to support a good sized staff.

sdg1871 01-15-2015 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by InTheBenz0 (Post 6296803)
Whats the cost of the xpel job you are doing?

My cost was somewhat lower than standard because it is part of a huge 2 car mod package (the 991 TTS and the E63 S). It is not cheap. I went to a bunch of top XPEL shops. Based on the many quotes I received, front end XPEL jobs are around $2k-$2.5K and complete XPEL wraps are about $4.5k to $5.5k. There is one shop in Cali that charges $9k for a full XPEL wrap.

It is very important if you want an XPEL job to be done right to pick a great installer. It is worth the travel time to pick a great installer. It is not easy to install correctly and is very easy for there to be bubbling or visible seams. A bad XPEL job makes the car look terrible. A good one is essentially undetectable.

abcut973 01-15-2015 09:38 PM

Nice job :y
What tint did you install?

sdg1871 01-15-2015 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by abcut973 (Post 6296910)
Nice job :y
What tint did you install?

The tint is not installed yet. Detailing Dynamics has been working on the full XPEL clear bra so far. I will be getting the side and rear windows tinted but not the windshield. Tints will be 50% 3M Crystalline Nano Energy Management Film -- the same film they used to tint my 991 Turbo S.

ced357 01-15-2015 10:45 PM

Looks great, I wish I knew of this shop when I lived in NY.

nstanford99 01-15-2015 11:21 PM

nice, detailing dynamics is top notch!! have a few lambo friends that use them!

sdg1871 01-16-2015 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by ced357 (Post 6297016)
Looks great, I wish I knew of this shop when I lived in NY.

Thanks! Yes they do good work. There are other reputable shops in the NYC area as well. But I am glad I went to DD.

sdg1871 01-16-2015 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by nstanford99 (Post 6297052)
nice, detailing dynamics is top notch!! have a few lambo friends that use them!

Yes tons of Lambo, Ferraris and Porsches there.

cnolke 01-16-2015 12:38 AM

All this work for a *sedan*???

;)

sdg1871 01-16-2015 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by cnolke (Post 6297124)
All this work for a *sedan*???

;)

LOL

starbrite 01-16-2015 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by sdg1871 (Post 6296981)
The tint is not installed yet. Detailing Dynamics has been working on the full XPEL clear bra so far. I will be getting the side and rear windows tinted but not the windshield. Tints will be 50% 3M Crystalline Nano Energy Management Film -- the same film they used to tint my 991 Turbo S.

Curious why are they doing that when NYS law requires 70% VLT (Visual Light Transmission) or better, for side windows? And that's a combined total, including the original factory tint. Additionally, there has to be a label on every window indicating the tint is legal.
Strictest tint laws in the country!

Sounds like a ticket waiting to happen, as police carry a tint meter and can measure it on the spot. Here in Suffolk county, the cops issue more tickets for tint violation than they do for parking.

sdg1871 01-16-2015 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by starbrite (Post 6297627)
Curious why are they doing that when NYS law requires 70% VLT (Visual Light Transmission) or better, for side windows? And that's a combined total, including the original factory tint. Additionally, there has to be a label on every window indicating the tint is legal.
Strictest tint laws in the country!

Sounds like a ticket waiting to happen, as police carry a tint meter and can measure it on the spot. Here in Suffolk county, the cops issue more tickets for tint violation than they do for parking.

We will see how it goes. Thankfully I am not in Suffolk. The tint is medium not dark.

starbrite 01-16-2015 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by sdg1871 (Post 6297695)
We will see how it goes. Thankfully I am not in Suffolk. The tint is medium not dark.

Well, I was just a little surprised that DD was willing to install an illegal tint and then certify that it's legal. It's not a matter of medium or dark, it's the percentage that counts. Combined with the factory tint, it's not even close to legal. Not trying to burst your balloon here, honestly.

Good luck with what looks like a great car.:zoom:

Edit: The reason I'm tint conscious right now is because I'm looking at a 2012 that's tinted. It has no stickers on the windows and the seller has been a little vague on the percentage.

Lenin 01-16-2015 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by starbrite (Post 6297714)
Well, I was just a little surprised that DD was willing to install an illegal tint and then certify that it's legal. It's not a matter of medium or dark, it's the percentage that counts. Combined with the factory tint, it's not even close to legal. Not trying to burst your balloon here, honestly.

Edit: The reason I'm tint conscious right now is because I'm looking at a 2012 that's tinted. It has no stickers on the windows and the seller has been a little vague on the percentage.

If the cops want to give you a ticket, they will find a reason. The exhaust on my C32 is loud but the cop did not have a DB meter. So, he gave me a ticket for my license frame blocking the words "garden state" on my plates. And nothing else.

sdg1871 01-16-2015 04:31 PM

DD did not certify the tint as legal. They tinted the car to the darkness that I wanted which was a medium tint. In fact their invoice has a specific disclaimer stating that the tint is for off-road and exhibition use only.

Originally Posted by starbrite (Post 6297714)

starbrite 01-16-2015 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by sdg1871 (Post 6297789)
DD did not certify the tint as legal. They tinted the car to the darkness that I wanted which was a medium tint. In fact their invoice has a specific disclaimer stating that the tint is for off-road and exhibition use only.

Ok, now that makes sense. Thanks.

Lenin 01-16-2015 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by sdg1871 (Post 6297789)

Does that make you an exhibitionist? :rolf:

sdg1871 01-16-2015 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lenin (Post 6297897)
Does that make you an exhibitionist? :rolf:

If that were the case I would have taken the dough I shelled out for the E63 S and 991 TTS and gotten a Lambo, Ferrari or McLaren instead. LOL

sdg1871 01-16-2015 07:38 PM

Just got an update from Detailing Dynamics. The XPEL full wrap is now complete. It took two people three days to completely wrap the car. Wow. So much work.

Monday is tints and Clearplex.

Pick up car on Tuesday!

sdg1871 01-17-2015 04:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The modding process at Detailing Dynamics is winding down. The full XPEL Ultimate clear bra, tints and Clearplex are all done. They are now painting the rotor hats. Decided not to paint the calipers as the red grew on me in person. Here are the pics.

I get it on Tuesday. Then off for Renntech mods as soon as the catted downpipes hit the dealer.