W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weistec Valve Body & TCU Upgrade

Old 12-15-2015, 06:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG GT S & E63 S AMG
Weistec Valve Body & TCU Upgrade

Finally got my 2015 E63S back from the shop today after some delays and miscommunication with Wesitec, but so far the upgrade is performing well in my limited driving time. I haven't done much driving in Sport+ yet, but in both Comfort and Sport modes, the gear shifts seem to be much smoother and faster.

Now for the million dollar question of whether the lag is still present, and I can say it is mostly gone and markedly better than before. I have only tested it in the Comfort and Sport modes multiple times, where I pretend to coast to 10 mph or below and then start to accelerate again. There is still a small dead spot on the accelerator, but it is much better than before. I also have an M6 with the DCT transmission, and I would say that the throttle response is still not as good the DCT, but getting very close. Overall, I am very happy with this mod. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you Weistec.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:18 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 AMG S65, AMG GL63, 2012 AMG E63 With AMS Alpha 9 Package, Renntech 200 Catted Downpipes.
I had this done to my 2012 RWD and I can also say it does make a huge difference. At the green light, it took off faster without the hesitation.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 e63 wagon
How much was it and what is the down time?

Is it something you could have waited while it was being done ?
Originally Posted by joseyu
Finally got my 2015 E63S back from the shop today after some delays and miscommunication with Wesitec, but so far the upgrade is performing well in my limited driving time. I haven't done much driving in Sport+ yet, but in both Comfort and Sport modes, the gear shifts seem to be much smoother and faster.

Now for the million dollar question of whether the lag is still present, and I can say it is mostly gone and markedly better than before. I have only tested it in the Comfort and Sport modes multiple times, where I pretend to coast to 10 mph or below and then start to accelerate again. There is still a small dead spot on the accelerator, but it is much better than before. I also have an M6 with the DCT transmission, and I would say that the throttle response is still not as good the DCT, but getting very close. Overall, I am very happy with this mod. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you Weistec.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:54 AM

AMG GT S & E63 S AMG
The car will not be drivable while this mod is being done. Your local Weistec dealer will have to remove your valve body and TCU for shipping to Weistec. It takes a few days for them to make the changes and send it back, so plan on your car being down for a week.

Originally Posted by pali63wagon
Is it something you could have waited while it was being done ?
Old 12-16-2015, 01:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 e63 wagon
My local dealer would be wiestec. I'm in Cali.

I wonder if I pull in there they can do it while I wait ?
Old 12-16-2015, 01:16 AM

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 E550 4MATIC TUNED - Turbo Upgraded Stage 3
I am actually thinking of doing this upgrade as well.

But I have different ECU tune. (I know TCU and ECU is two different thing.)

Does it still require Weistec ECU tune as well ??

PS. someone keeps telling me, this upgrade will not improve 0-60 or 1/4 mile timing. ????

Last edited by cocobeex; 12-16-2015 at 01:21 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:43 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 CLS63 S
Finally got my 2015 E63S back from the shop today
It sounds good. Would you say its worth the money as a modification? I've been looking at the Weistec graphs showing shifts being 100-200ms faster, but it's hard to picture the real life improvement without having the modification done if you know what I mean. According to the chart if you accelerate up to 5th gear you should save 100+150+150+200=600ms of "gear change" time. Of course, the car is moving during a gear change but not accelerating, so it should shave something off the quarter mile time.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:42 AM

AMG GT S & E63 S AMG
I would suggest that you give Weistec a call and find out. However, I have a feeling that they would most likely ask to keep the car at least overnight. It takes a bit of time to drain the transmission and remove the valve body and TCU. After that, they have to modify the valve body before reprogramming the TCU. Once installed, they have to fill the tranny and re-adapt the wet clutch. Their average turn around without shipping is normally 3 days.

Originally Posted by pali63wagon
I wonder if I pull in there they can do it while I wait ?
Old 12-16-2015, 07:47 AM

AMG GT S & E63 S AMG
I have an AMS tune on my car with this Weistec TCU mod. No Weistec engine tune required.

Originally Posted by cocobeex
I am actually thinking of doing this upgrade as well.

But I have different ECU tune. (I know TCU and ECU is two different thing.)

Does it still require Weistec ECU tune as well ??

PS. someone keeps telling me, this upgrade will not improve 0-60 or 1/4 mile timing. ????
Old 12-16-2015, 07:55 AM

AMG GT S & E63 S AMG
So far, I would say that the mod is worth the money. I am not sure if the car is accelerating any faster, but the main reason I got this was for the lag/hestitation of the throttle, which it does greatly improve.

Originally Posted by Pumpkinate
It sounds good. Would you say its worth the money as a modification? I've been looking at the Weistec graphs showing shifts being 100-200ms faster, but it's hard to picture the real life improvement without having the modification done if you know what I mean. According to the chart if you accelerate up to 5th gear you should save 100+150+150+200=600ms of "gear change" time. Of course, the car is moving during a gear change but not accelerating, so it should shave something off the quarter mile time.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
I would suggest that you give Weistec a call and find out. However, I have a feeling that they would most likely ask to keep the car at least overnight. It takes a bit of time to drain the transmission and remove the valve body and TCU. After that, they have to modify the valve body before reprogramming the TCU. Once installed, they have to fill the tranny and re-adapt the wet clutch. Their average turn around without shipping is normally 3 days.

Whats involved in the "re-adapt" the wet clutch. I want to do this as well, and I have the ability to drain, and remove the valvebody and refill myself, but what is involved in the "re-adpt'?
Old 12-16-2015, 12:15 PM

AMG GT S & E63 S AMG
I'm not 100% but I think you have to hook a computer to the obd port and do some programming/adaptation this way.

Originally Posted by KLR CLS
Whats involved in the "re-adapt" the wet clutch. I want to do this as well, and I have the ability to drain, and remove the valvebody and refill myself, but what is involved in the "re-adpt'?
Old 12-18-2015, 01:33 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 AMG S65, AMG GL63, 2012 AMG E63 With AMS Alpha 9 Package, Renntech 200 Catted Downpipes.
Well worth the money for this TCU upgrade. Less lag and pulls harder with mine tunes and am a happy camper to report raced a P85S and kicked it's butt. The driver at a red light laughed at me because the sound of my downpipes and then I punched it as he was doing the same and saw him with a shocked face in my rear view mirror
Old 05-21-2016, 07:40 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 CLS63 S
Have there been problems resulting from this valve body/TCU upgrade? It's disappeared from the Weistec website. Maybe just a short term glitch with their website?
Old 05-21-2016, 08:31 AM

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by Pumpkinate
Have there been problems resulting from this valve body/TCU upgrade? It's disappeared from the Weistec website. Maybe just a short term glitch with their website?
They went from v1 to v2 , it's availble
Old 05-21-2016, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 amg
I've read of several horror stories in the boost forum regarding this upgrade not performing as it should and wesitec not answering calls, I wonder if they solved the problems.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
I had a tcu update applied to my car by dealer, makes the car shift like I did a valvebody mod (I have driven a few before and after cars with valve body modifocations). However I am finally experiencing the ****ing throttle lag everyone complains about! Pisses me off
Old 05-21-2016, 06:42 PM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
W212 E63 AMG S Model
Originally Posted by kponti
I had a tcu update applied to my car by dealer, makes the car shift like I did a valvebody mod (I have driven a few before and after cars with valve body modifocations). However I am finally experiencing the ****ing throttle lag everyone complains about! Pisses me off
It's not really throttle lag as everyone calls it... It's the clutches engaging to get you moving. My GTR even had it. These cars can't get off the line like the older AMGs that had automatic transmissions...the GTR can but at the expense of a harsh and noisy clutch engagement.

The only lag I can't stand is when it happens when using race mode... Seriously if it's around 4k rpm... Once you leave the brake, the car should launch like a rocket.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,320 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by efiftyfizzle
It's not really throttle lag as everyone calls it... It's the clutches engaging to get you moving. My GTR even had it. These cars can't get off the line like the older AMGs that had automatic transmissions...the GTR can but at the expense of a harsh and noisy clutch engagement.

The only lag I can't stand is when it happens when using race mode... Seriously if it's around 4k rpm... Once you leave the brake, the car should launch like a rocket.
From what I recall the gtr had some serious trans issues/failures from launching ... At least the early iterations

Last edited by PeterUbers; 05-21-2016 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:33 PM

W212 E63 AMG S Model
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
From what I recall the gtr had some serious trans issues/failures from launching ... At least the early iterations
Yeah they fixed it after the second or third year of production. It was still clunky and noisy but that's the compromise you make when you want it to perform and not cost 50k for a transmission.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63

It IS a lag that was not there before the TCU update just a couple of weeks ago. Even wot when moving (the downshift to 4th) is slow as molasses
Old 05-22-2016, 09:50 AM

W212 E63 AMG S Model
Originally Posted by kponti
It IS a lag that was not there before the TCU update just a couple of weeks ago. Even wot when moving (the downshift to 4th) is slow as molasses
Oh this is something the dealer did?
Old 05-22-2016, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
Oh this is something the dealer did?
Yes and for no damn reason (that's why it's pissing me off). I asked them to check my blindspot monitor going in and out. They update ecu and tcu???
All the while it was my lithium ion battery going out
Old 05-22-2016, 07:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,320 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
For me, once I'm rolling, throttle reponse seems instantaneous
Old 05-23-2016, 07:08 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
I have not suffered from the lag in quite some time now...nothing changed, car is stock.

But I have become more aware of it and how it can happen.

It's mostly related to slowing down and the way you let off the gas and where RPM is and if a gear change takes place. This is when you get the dead pedal lag mostly.

So again either I have unconsciously become aware of it and avoid letting it happen, or the car has learned my pattern

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weistec Valve Body & TCU Upgrade