New to the M157 - 5.5 Biturbo Platform

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 10:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 CLS63 S-AMG
New to the M157 - 5.5 Biturbo Platform

Hey guys,

So I recently sold my C63 and got a 2015 CLS63 S AMG and I am loving it. But while searching this forum beyond the c63 (w204) section I have realized that this can be a bit confusing. For starters, I quickly realized that CLS community is none existent, which I can somewhat understand, so I thought why not come to the E63 section to see what kind of engine upgrades people are doing. After browsing this forum a little I realized that this section is also for the E63 M156 guys to!

I may be spoiled from how active the c63 section used to be and maybe that is the reason why these platforms are combined, in order to keep everyone active and in one place? But I have been very annoyed trying to find parts for my 2015 "Facelifted" CLS (which I found does not exist yet) and going through threads here and realizing that they are also for the m156 engine.

Am I the only one who sees and feels this way about this?
Old 02-17-2016, 11:31 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
I think the difference you're seeing can be summed up pretty easily. For starters, there are a lot more C63s, and they're (increasingly) less expensive- more people are buying those cars specifically to tune and hoon them. The E and CLS? These are rarer cars, with a higher price of admission that many people still have as new or CPO cars ... more than one of our C63 clients who track that car have an E63 that they have a tune only on, if that.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
the newer and more expensive the car, the smaller the aftermarket/tuned crowd... i thought what op though about w204, when i went from E55 to C63, i thought the C63 forum was dead and low activity compared to the e55 forum lol (about 42K W211 threads vs 24K W204)...

and then coming from the C63 to M157 E63 the forum crowd narrowed even more.... just logical though in relation to how long each respective car has been around for and how much they cost now.

when these cars cost about 30K then you will probably see a lot more action
Old 02-17-2016, 12:27 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
2012 E63
Originally Posted by Blown63
Hey guys,

So I recently sold my C63 and got a 2015 CLS63 S AMG and I am loving it. But while searching this forum beyond the c63 (w204) section I have realized that this can be a bit confusing. For starters, I quickly realized that CLS community is none existent, which I can somewhat understand, so I thought why not come to the E63 section to see what kind of engine upgrades people are doing. After browsing this forum a little I realized that this section is also for the E63 M156 guys to!

I may be spoiled from how active the c63 section used to be and maybe that is the reason why these platforms are combined, in order to keep everyone active and in one place? But I have been very annoyed trying to find parts for my 2015 "Facelifted" CLS (which I found does not exist yet) and going through threads here and realizing that they are also for the m156 engine.

Am I the only one who sees and feels this way about this?
Welcome to the bi turbo club, I just joined the first week of January!

Everything you have said, I have noticed myself and just shrugged it off figured it was setup like this and just deal with it.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 CLS63 S-AMG
I understand there is less of a community the more expensive the car. But what is the reason why the forum is not broken in to sub section? Like why would the 2012 and lower M156 E63 be in the same category as the 2013 and newer M157 E63? Is it because they would rather have everyone in one section instead of a smaller amounts of people in broken out sub sections?
Old 02-17-2016, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by gaspam
the newer and more expensive the car, the smaller the aftermarket/tuned crowd....................

when these cars cost about 30K then you will probably see a lot more action
What he said.

Also most do not want to void warranties (or at least try to hide their mods to prevent warranty voiding). A lot of the cars on this forum have some kind of warranty be it factory or CPO. The most you will see will be Tunes from the major brands (Renntech, AMS, Eurocharged etc etc) and maybe some exhaust work. All the other more in-depth stuff will probably not happen until these cars are well out of their warranties.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
Originally Posted by kponti

Also most do not want to void warranties (or at least try to hide their mods to prevent warranty voiding). A lot of the cars on this forum have some kind of warranty be it factory or CPO. .
100% this ^ (at least for me) ... only reason i havent gone to aftermarket turbo upgrade is because i have CPO until 2018... once it expires, bigger turbos will be going on

until then its just tune and downpipes for me
Old 02-17-2016, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Info is mostly in this w212 forum around performance tuning options. Some cosmetic stuff covered in w218 forum IE wheels, and odd CF bits here and there. Being a 2015 facelift car, your cosmetic options are limited any how, but KW and EvoKlass lowering kits will work, as will any of the wheel options for 2012-14 cars.

As for Performance mods you only have few options:

ECU tune:
Eurocharged
REnntech
AMS
Weistec
OE Tuning

Turbo upgrades:
AMS- BB CHRA upgrade
Renntech - 2 kinds Wheel swap/clip or full BB CHRA
Weistec - 2 kinds Wheel swap or full custom turbo housing with BB CHRA ( huge money for the latter)

Downpipes:
Renntech - Mid back- Cat/Catless
AMS- Mid Back Cat/Catless
Rado/World- Mid Back -Cat/Catless
MHP-Mid back catless
OR go custom for half the price

Then you have Full turbo back DPs
Weistec- Catless
Kleeman - Catless
CKS- Catless

Exhaust axle-back:
Renntech
Meistershaft
AMS
MHP
Or Custom for far cheaper

Intake:
AMS Carbon intake
Renntech Carbon lids
UPD Airbox spacers
Obviously filters BMC/K&N etc

Under drive Pulley:
UPD

Trans/Driveline:
Weistec Valvebody/Pan/Built trans/DSS axles
Renntech - built trans

Cooling:
AMS - Heat exchanger/Tank/ pump kit
Renntech- Heat exchanger/ pump kit
Weistec- Heat exchanger/Tank/ pump kit
Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. All depends on what your goal are
Old 02-17-2016, 02:41 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
With all respect to KLR, you're leaving out quite a bit: http://speedriven.wpengine.com/merce...urbo-5-5-w212/

On the cooling side, you're also forgetting about aux. tanks and chillers. On the suspension side, you're not listing the suspension modes required to fit 16" drag slicks. On the turbo side, we have billet and full turbo swap upgrades, as well- but (and this is true for all the tuners who aren't running stand-alones at the moment) they don't generate real gains. That's why you see the bolt-on cars running 10.8 1/4 mile times and the fully built cars running 10.7s. The trans software hasn't caught up.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Like I said, off the top of my head, but yes, Marcin and the SD boys have the goods too.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:57 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mercedes SL63 AMG; Mercedes E63 AMG S 4matic; Mercedes C43 AMG; Mercedes S Class, Mercedes GLK
I agree with the OP's first post. It is a bit of a balancing act. I found the same thing on the R230 forum, where there is much discussion on 55's and 65's but very little on the SL63, which to other's comments, was newer, more expensive and the production numbers just that much smaller then its predecessors. To learn anything on the M156 engine I used to go to the C63 site, which had a significant amount of volume. When I recently purchased my E63 s and starting coming to this forum, I also found it difficult to search through threads to find anything material on the 2014's + but it has been getting easier.

The alternative could have you end up in a similar position as the CLA45 site. It started off with a bit of activity, but has been a graveyard for the last 6 months. Whether there just isn't enough volume or enough interest, the reality is it has become a vendor forum with no members.

I have found by going to different parts of this forum you can still learn a lot on parts of your vehicle, it just isn't as easy with some models versus others.