W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

What's the deal with the TCU on these cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 02:16 PM
e65

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
2014 E63 S model
Originally Posted by gaspam
UPDATE--- just confirmed from weistec, the TCU valve body mod does not change the torque limits... response below :

Altering the torque limits in the TCU is something that we only do when we do a full in house build of an AWD 722.9 transmission. We do not do it on just the tcu/valvebody upgrade
Im sending my transmission (2014 e63) to weistec for in house bulletproof upgrade. But I was told by their sales that the torque limits are imposed by the ECU not the TCU.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
Originally Posted by e65
Im sending my transmission (2014 e63) to weistec for in house bulletproof upgrade. But I was told by their sales that the torque limits are imposed by the ECU not the TCU.
i was told the same and heard same elsewhere also.... weistec did say they increase the torque limits, that the ecu imposes, when they do a bulletproof transmission build

since you are doing their transmission upgrade i assume its because you are doing turbo upgrade too? post dyno runs when you get them as would love to see them
Old 03-10-2016, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
I'm going to play devil's advocate on Weistec's claim about increasing torque limits and call bs...but I hope I'm wrong. If they could do this, why limit it to just their highest tune? They could corner the market on every level tune since no one else claims to be able to do this yet and it's such a limiting factor on launching these cars.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:33 AM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
W212 E63 AMG S Model
Originally Posted by chiromikey
I'm going to play devil's advocate on Weistec's claim about increasing torque limits and call bs...but I hope I'm wrong. If they could do this, why limit it to just their highest tune? They could corner the market on every level tune since no one else claims to be able to do this yet and it's such a limiting factor on launching these cars.
100% agree... as far as I know most of the tunes are relatively the same. If Weistec does something special, then let the track numbers speak for themselves. So far, we haven't seen anything beyond a 10.7 (with the exception of that one car with the crazy build).
Old 03-11-2016, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
Originally Posted by efiftyfizzle
100% agree... as far as I know most of the tunes are relatively the same. If Weistec does something special, then let the track numbers speak for themselves. So far, we haven't seen anything beyond a 10.7 (with the exception of that one car with the crazy build).
there are a couple 10.6's from russia on tarmac and 10.01 sl63 in uae as well as multiple 10.20's @142 mph (1.59 0-60) from same car.. they also have a 10.12 e63 awd... the guys in uae and europe/russia are pushing these cars and they mostly dont post here ( they are on the boost sites)

renntech also has a 10.6 @137 in cls63

just speculation, but i think what weistec is saying is that if they raise the torque limits on any m157 car ,that has power levels beyond what we are seeing on tune/downpipe, the transmission wont hold up long, so they leave the limits MB has in there in place for any mod on the M157 that is not accompanied by a transmission build or custom build... they probably dont want to deal with a bunch of us getting tunes and blowing our tranny

over on benz boost a few members discussed something similar to where the turbo mods werent worth much until after about +100mph as then the torque limits seem disappear and the upgraded turbo'd cars would pull away from the tuned/downpiped cars..... vasily said that was the case with him when he was on his renntech VIP turbo ugrade vs another car that was just tune/downpipe.. they were pretty even until triple digits and then he pulled away easily

it wasnt until he got his transmission built, that he started putting down monster numbers

I am assuming this is what was happening before built tranmission with torque limits raised

Last edited by gaspam; 03-11-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:59 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
What about this put the car into Dyno Mode and then try to run it with slick down the 1/4 mile ? Did any one try this?
Old 09-08-2016, 10:20 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
you will be spinning past the 60ft at least
Old 09-08-2016, 10:31 AM

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
E63 amg s
I have hooked the TQ app to my car and we don't see full boost in first gear we see 9lbs in first gear and the second it shifts into second it instantly go up to 14.5-15lbs and stays there for the rest of the run.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:52 AM

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts
2016 E63 S AMG
I actually just ordered the Scantool OBD II Bluetooth a couple of days ago. It will be here tomorrow. I'm eager to get some data on TQ Pro when it arrives. After reading this entire thread, which I had never seen before, I still maintain that the solution for which everyone is awaiting is Speedriven's stand-alone ECU. I spoke to Marcin in person for a couple of hours when I was in the Chicago area a couple of weeks ago and he showed me what they have already done with this on the V12's. This will be THE solution for the M157 when it is available next spring. He also explained how incredibly easy it was to data log and tune on the fly with this ECU. He did express concerns that driveline components will become the limiting factors, particularly with the AWD cars. I would have happily gone with Speedriven for the work I had done at AMS, but Speedriven does not offer the intercooler upgrade nor intake that AMS makes. Because the intake requires an extra ECU modification, I wanted to deal directly with the folks that developed the tune for those parts. With that said, Marcin really knows his business. If I had a V12, which seems to be his specialty at this time (he had about a half dozen in his shop at the same time getting full internal builds), I would go Speedriven. He does all the engine builds personally and, unlike AMS, work almost exclusively on Benz's.

Last edited by BerndV; 09-08-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:00 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Originally Posted by Geno51
I have hooked the TQ app to my car and we don't see full boost in first gear we see 9lbs in first gear and the second it shifts into second it instantly go up to 14.5-15lbs and stays there for the rest of the run.
similar concept as Boost by Gear but from the factory.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1994 E500, 2012 e63
Originally Posted by shardul
you will be spinning past the 60ft at least
does the ecu remove TQ limits in first gear and or give more boost in 1st gear if in dyno mode?
Old 09-08-2016, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
CLS63 AMG
Is the TCU torque limit still there for the 2016 e63s?

i heard the 2016 model got a transmission update, but don't know if this has anything to do with the initial torque limit/hesitation lag this car is has.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,520 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by Amg63-
Is the TCU torque limit still there for the 2016 e63s?

i heard the 2016 model got a transmission update, but don't know if this has anything to do with the initial torque limit/hesitation lag this car is has.
yes, same torque limits

torque limits exist so the 600 of torque in first gear doesn't shred up the transmission

the trans updates apparently only addressed shifting and wet clutch behavior
Old 11-18-2016, 01:32 PM
e65

2014 E63 S model
Originally Posted by gaspam
i was told the same and heard same elsewhere also.... weistec did say they increase the torque limits, that the ecu imposes, when they do a bulletproof transmission build

since you are doing their transmission upgrade i assume its because you are doing turbo upgrade too? post dyno runs when you get them as would love to see them
5th gear was slipping. Thats why I sent transmission to Weistec. I had W.3 turbos that I sent to Powerhaus for turbine wheel upgrade. I also ordered weistec exhaust.

When everything was put together I was told the engine needed a rebuild with only 5000 miles on the motor. I don't believe the parts were responsible for this but thats a whole other can of worms. I will post a more detailed thread when I have time.

I have shipped my car to Gad motors in Germany. They will let me know if boring the cylinders will get rid of the gouges. If it does I will have a 5.8L motor. They will check the weistec transmission and let me know if it can hold the torque. This transmission has no miles on it. If not they will recommend that I do another tranny upgrade. They will also test the Powerhaus turbos to see if they can feed enough air to the 5.8L. Should be a good test of what a stock housing turbo can do with upgraded turbine and compressor wheel.

The weistec exhaust does not fit in my car because of quality control issue. I know if another person in Edmonton who had the exact same problem with his weistec exhaust. They wont take it back so will need to bend it somehow. I will probably post my whole story when I have time, in a separate thread, hopefully with some dyno numbers and 1/4 times.

Last edited by e65; 11-18-2016 at 01:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by e65:
cocobeex (11-21-2016), Zod (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 04:52 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 CLS63 S
A bit of a bugger for you, but it would be nice to have the bigger displacement engine.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:08 PM

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by e65
5th gear was slipping. Thats why I sent transmission to Weistec. I had W.3 turbos that I sent to Powerhaus for turbine wheel upgrade. I also ordered weistec exhaust.

When everything was put together I was told the engine needed a rebuild with only 5000 miles on the motor. I don't believe the parts were responsible for this but thats a whole other can of worms. I will post a more detailed thread when I have time.

I have shipped my car to Gad motors in Germany. They will let me know if boring the cylinders will get rid of the gouges. If it does I will have a 5.8L motor. They will check the weistec transmission and let me know if it can hold the torque. This transmission has no miles on it. If not they will recommend that I do another tranny upgrade. They will also test the Powerhaus turbos to see if they can feed enough air to the 5.8L. Should be a good test of what a stock housing turbo can do with upgraded turbine and compressor wheel.

The weistec exhaust does not fit in my car because of quality control issue. I know if another person in Edmonton who had the exact same problem with his weistec exhaust. They wont take it back so will need to bend it somehow. I will probably post my whole story when I have time, in a separate thread, hopefully with some dyno numbers and 1/4 times.
seems like your story even more interesting than mine . How come the engine needs to be rebuild ?? My Weistec exhaust fit fine , and pretty happy with Weistec trans . What happened with your w3 before powerhouse had them ?
Old 11-19-2016, 02:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2014 Mercedes E63S AMG
All I can add is that I got a tune from a certain company and my car shifted just like stock and was pulling timing like crazy.
Then I sent my ecu to eurocharged and it's no longer pulling timing, pulls way harder, and shifts very hard and authoritive.
I emailed eurocharged about the way it shifted, and they advised that they removed all the torque limits. So maybe they cracked it, idk.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:20 AM

W212 E63 AMG S Model
Originally Posted by iownedu
All I can add is that I got a tune from a certain company and my car shifted just like stock and was pulling timing like crazy.
Then I sent my ecu to eurocharged and it's no longer pulling timing, pulls way harder, and shifts very hard and authoritive.
I emailed eurocharged about the way it shifted, and they advised that they removed all the torque limits. So maybe they cracked it, idk.

what year is your car?
Old 11-20-2016, 02:07 PM
e65

2014 E63 S model
Originally Posted by Fairbird
seems like your story even more interesting than mine . How come the engine needs to be rebuild ?? My Weistec exhaust fit fine , and pretty happy with Weistec trans . What happened with your w3 before powerhouse had them ?
When you get a Turbo upgrade you expecting to be adding an extra 200 horsepower, and you're willing to pay big bucks for that. The w.3 doesnt add anything over stock turbo. False advertising and waste of money. I can understand why people who purchase these are in denial I was myself. You just don't want to accept that you blew tens of thousands of dollars for no benefit. (weistec w.3 upgrade e63 with full exhaust/boltons vs stock turbo m5)

I'm happy your weistec exhaust fit your car and I don't pretend that every single one of them will not fit. But if you put $6,000 into one of them and it didn't fit your car and you had no recourse you would be like me very unhappy. Maybe you would feel conned and cheated.

for a lot of people out there they will never know that their weistec exhauste did not fit properly because the installer would rather force them to line up with the silencers than to drop the motor again and remove the defective exhaust. In my case even that was not possible. And even if it was possible it's bad practice all that force to line up the pipes with mufflers transfers on to the turbos.

at the end of the day there is absolutely no excuse for weistec to be selling me something like this. There is no justification period. this lack of quality control is absolutely unacceptable. If I wanted to deal with something like this I could have found a company in China to Fab something up for me

Last edited by e65; 11-20-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:11 PM
e65

2014 E63 S model

Last edited by e65; 11-20-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:42 PM

C300
Originally Posted by e65
When you get a Turbo upgrade you expecting to be adding an extra 200 horsepower, and you're willing to pay big bucks for that. The w.3 doesnt add anything over stock turbo. False advertising and waste of money. I can understand why people who purchase these are in denial I was myself. You just don't want to accept that you blew tens of thousands of dollars for no benefit. (weistec w.3 upgrade e63 with full exhaust/boltons vs stock turbo m5)

https://youtu.be/RE4sIaGrDTA

I'm happy your weistec exhaust fit your car and I don't pretend that every single one of them will not fit. But if you put $6,000 into one of them and it didn't fit your car and you had no recourse you would be like me very unhappy. Maybe you would feel conned and cheated.

for a lot of people out there they will never know that their weistec exhauste did not fit properly because the installer would rather force them to line up with the silencers than to drop the motor again and remove the defective exhaust. In my case even that was not possible. And even if it was possible it's bad practice all that force to line up the pipes with mufflers transfers on to the turbos.

at the end of the day there is absolutely no excuse for weistec to be selling me something like this. There is no justification period. this lack of quality control is absolutely unacceptable. If I wanted to deal with something like this I could have found a company in China to Fab something up for me
w3 does add power if tuned properly , no m5 on stock turbos could get me , Gtr E85 and few others . But I get your point and I agree . So why do you have to rebuild your motor ?
Old 11-20-2016, 07:45 PM

C300
Originally Posted by e65

https://youtu.be/RE4sIaGrDTA
https://youtu.be/FSn7vG4d964
Old 11-20-2016, 10:38 PM

W212 E63 AMG S Model
Originally Posted by Fairbird
https://youtu.be/FSn7vG4d964
but didn't you blow your turbo seals with that setup?
Old 11-21-2016, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by iownedu
did eurocharged seriously crack the torque limits on this car?

can anyone confirm what this guy is saying is true?
Old 11-21-2016, 06:01 AM

C300
Originally Posted by efiftyfizzle
but didn't you blow your turbo seals with that setup?
yes I did , but we talking power or quality ? E65 stated no power gains on W3

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's the deal with the TCU on these cars?