Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deadly Mercedes Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 03:01 AM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 AMG S65, AMG GL63, 2012 AMG E63 With AMS Alpha 9 Package, Renntech 200 Catted Downpipes.
Hi. Like I said, I brought in my E63 because the noise coming from the rear. The same dealer told me that 1 lug was missing and 2 were loose by hand. They were the last people that touch my E63 and even worked on my wheels.

Never had an issues with my aftermarket wheels during the 2 years ownership. Change 3 sets of tires with the same setup on my Old E350 and now E63 from the sale Vossen dealer and longer lug nuts.

From this experience, I will torque my wheels after I drive my Mercedes.

I really think a good will gesture to say I'm sorry is in order, but instead. Get your Mercedes off my of my property and get it off my Mercedes property with only 2 unknown lug nuts is a better Mercedes Benz tells its dealers.

Originally Posted by CliffJumper
This is sounding extremely unreasonable...

Did you threaten to sue them before they re-torqued the wheel?

I can't think of anyone, even a dealership, who would look at a wheel with loose lugnuts and have their first reaction be "I'm not going to help out even a little bit" without some reason.

Can't you just take a torque wrench, fix the 2 bolts and drive out of there?

If your relationship with the dealer has become bad enough for them to send you that email, I don't think I'd want them to touch my car. Not saying they'd do anything intentionally, but if there's a bad apple there along with the ill will that seems to present, you could have more problems.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
Well, firstly it's great that nothing happened to you guys...we all want to be safe and that's how it should be.

I'm finding it a little hard to believe that the dealer...rather than either bill you for two lugs and fit them....they chose to lose you as a customer and then go overboard with the harsh treatment. It just sounds odd.

I'd have to agree with the other guys though...I can't see your law suit getting very far, running big power with non-original wheels. Sucks because we all know it won't make a difference in the real world, but that's what MB will argue and tbh it's going to be an uphill battle for you.

If it were me, sure i'd be pissed about it. But...I'd move on. I'd count my blessings. I'd buy a torque wrench, some new lugs and just fit them myself. And of course, once I have the car safely in my possession with new lugs, I'd continue to spread my story as to how they treated me. Law suit....i'd have more luck trying to sue an engine builder that forgot to install a piston ring on each of the four pistons in my Celica (this actually happened!).
Old 04-05-2016, 08:41 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,352 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Davidkuo0330
I suggest you read the important part of members posts. Most members just say glad me and my family where not hurt and you could of choose to say nothing at all, but you choose to comment as seen below.

I don't know why you are on this forum for so long without saying anything positive. Did you grow up in a abusive family or where did all this hate come from?

Again I've had my aftermarket wheels in question for 2'years. Never had so much as a loose lug nut, but this dealer refinished my wheels and this happens that could of killed my and or my family after only 381 miles and according to you. I should now thank them for all their pass service?

You most be a wonderful son, husband and father.
don't take the pity party too far......just because someone didn't praise you as god and thank the heavens for you they're condemned?
I can't think of why a dealer would ask you to never return over a couple of lug nuts...........I myself have recently been asked to never return to the dealer where I bought my cars.......because I'm rude......were you rude too?
Old 04-05-2016, 11:45 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
GLS450
Did you actually leave with just 2 lug nuts?
Old 04-05-2016, 12:27 PM
Banned

2016 AMG S65, AMG GL63, 2012 AMG E63 With AMS Alpha 9 Package, Renntech 200 Catted Downpipes.
I'm not a rude person and certainly don't need someone I never met to praise me. I bring in my car into the dealer with questionable noise coming from the rear wheels and the dealers tells me the wheel of my car was only held together with 2 out of 5 lug nuts and they were the last people who worked on my car. Yes, I was mad, but not rude.

I am not asking for pity, but refusing the tighten the bolts so I can take my E63 off the lot is a bit too far on the dealer side. They are the service providers or am I wrong. Even if they condemned me, is it ethical for a Mercedes dealer to say, drive your car away from the dealership even though we know there is only 2 lug nuts holding your wheel together?

The real question is, should blame myself for not checking the last person who torqued my wheels after 381 miles or my ignorance ?

Originally Posted by hyperion667
don't take the pity party too far......just because someone didn't praise you as god and thank the heavens for you they're condemned?
I can't think of why a dealer would ask you to never return over a couple of lug nuts...........I myself have recently been asked to never return to the dealer where I bought my cars.......because I'm rude......were you rude too?
Old 04-05-2016, 12:34 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
^no, I don't think you should blame yourself at all, seems it's the dealers fault.....
Old 04-05-2016, 01:31 PM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
no MBs at the moment :(
I'm not a rude person and certainly don't need someone I never met to praise me. I bring in my car into the dealer with questionable noise coming from the rear wheels and the dealers tells me the wheel of my car was only held together with 2 out of 5 lug nuts and they were the last people who worked on my car. Yes, I was mad, but not rude.

I am not asking for pity, but refusing the tighten the bolts so I can take my E63 off the lot is a bit too far on the dealer side. They are the service providers or am I wrong. Even if they condemned me, is it ethical for a Mercedes dealer to say, drive your car away from the dealership even though we know there is only 2 lug nuts holding your wheel together?

The real question is, should blame myself for not checking the last person who torqued my wheels after 381 miles or my ignorance ?
It's absolutely their fault... just seems odd they wouldn't just re-tighten them and send you on your way. They must have some reason to say "We're not touching your car ever again." I think that part of the story is what many people (including me) feel is missing.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:42 PM
Banned

Allow me put it this way. As a Mercedes certify dealer, knowing it is a danger and have a service request they accepted to say. Take your car back as is even know it would kill me is acceptable?

Originally Posted by CliffJumper
It's absolutely their fault... just seems odd they wouldn't just re-tighten them and send you on your way. They must have some reason to say "We're not touching your car ever again." I think that part of the story is what many people (including me) feel is missing.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
I suggest getting a beam-type torque wrench, ie Craftsman like the ones I have. Not only is it cheaper, but also nothing to calibrate or break--this second part is worth it even if more expensive.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
e63 p30 estate
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
David

Just glad you're all ok
^ this.

only 1 datum: Penske Mercedes West Covina is my regular dealership. they've done right by me over a period of 3 MB wagons so far this decade, which isn't saying much, but... 0 mistakes in the last 6 years; last wagon had aftermarket wheels (SSR).

scary for sure though; sucks it happened.

Last edited by TonyC; 04-05-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
No offense but if you want real feedback, here it is. You are probably a total pain of a Customer, given much of what Ive seen you post here. Look, we all can be unreasonable as Customers, it happens, but there MUST be more to the story here. Many of us have had disagreements with the dealer, cant think of anyone who has been asked to never go back to the dealership. Much of what you post is arrogant, entitled, and full of bragging. Maybe you have come off wrong to them, and they dont want to deal with you? Again, I dont proclaim to know you, you're looking for help, I'm just telling you what I see.

On the legal front - you modified the car with wheels that were not factory. If the lugnuts dont "seat" properly and come off, thats not MB's fault, its yours. Im no lawyer but I dont see you having a case here...and if you do, its a frivolous one.
The following 2 users liked this post by rory breaker:
2012 CCB E63 (04-05-2016), chris.bachman (04-07-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 05:03 PM

e63 p30 estate
Originally Posted by rory breaker
On the legal front - you modified the car with wheels that were not factory. If the lugnuts dont "seat" properly and come off, thats not MB's fault, its yours.
even the lugnuts weren't factory, and there are spacers. some dealerships won't even touch a car with spacers (my old saab dealer didn't; probably because of this exact thread). no lawyer will take your case except maybe that Jalop Lehto guy?

this is a horrible shi**y experience for sure but.. man, buy some lugs, get a torque wrench, and gtfo of there before losing any more brain cells.

thanks so much for posting though, OP. it's a reminder of what "could" happen regarding non-oem parts when being serviced at dealership. now I'm going to go home and retorque muh nuts.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:11 PM
Banned

This dealer finished 3 out of 4 aftermarket wheels. That was my point.

Originally Posted by TonyC
even the lugnuts weren't factory, and there are spacers. some dealerships won't even touch a car with spacers (my old saab dealer didn't; probably because of this exact thread). no lawyer will take your case except maybe that Jalop Lehto guy?

this is a horrible shi**y experience for sure but.. man, buy some lugs, get a torque wrench, and gtfo of there before losing any more brain cells.

thanks so much for posting though, OP. it's a reminder of what "could" happen regarding non-oem parts when being serviced at dealership. now I'm going to go home and retorque muh nuts.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:17 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
Dame, that is scary stuff.

With that said, the moment you mention "attorney" and "lawsuit" in their presence, which I'm gone guess you did, you are on your own. They are under no obligation to fix your car, nor help you remove it. I wouldn't be shocked if it was written company policy to tell you to hit the bricks.

Sucks for sure, but just put it behind you and count your blessings. They certainly aren't going to roll over now.

Your dramatic thread title certainly got my attention though.

Last edited by Mike450; 04-05-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:41 PM

e63 p30 estate
This dealer finished 3 out of 4 aftermarket wheels. That was my point.
afaic, no mb dealership refinishes wheels in LA, everything is sent out.

Surely you've met Son? He does friggin amazing work at $100/wheel:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/onsite-wheels-garden-grove

still crappy they took your money and then wouldn't help after the lugs let go (is what I think actually happened -- too much POWAH with the new turbos?).

I can't write the service director though. the chickie likes to abuse their espresso machine..
Old 04-05-2016, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
i went ahead and emailed your service director at your request...gave them the run down about you.....i told them ill be sending them flowers and breakfast daily for the next week to have to deal with you...

hyp your not rude, just awesome

seriously dude...check how many threads your lugs have with the spacer and with your wheels....it may have just not been enough...yeah its crazy that they got loose..but it happens...it may be a lug issue, it may be a dealer issue, it may be both...just sort it out
The following 2 users liked this post by vdubpower:
chris.bachman (04-07-2016), johnnyblaze (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 07:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 AMG E63
I'm guessing like others that we are missing something here and I'm guessing it was him shouting lawsuit lawsuit and them not wanting any liability. Obviously its unreasonable to not tighten the wheels up, but then would you if someone was threatening to sue you? They want no liability in this. Get the car, tighten the lugs and if anything call MBUSA and let them know about this. A lawsuit will get you no where. I'm glad no one got hurt, it could have been a lot worse.

Here is a story for you, 22 years ago or so I had a Jeep Wrangler. It was at the dealer for some warranty work and I pointed out that it appeared the brake line was rubbing on something as the line appeared to be wearing in one spot. They insisted there was nothing wrong and would do nothing to fix it. About a week or two later, the line popped and I smacked into the car in front of me. Luckily it was relatively low speed and no one was hurt. I talked to a lawyer and you know what they said? There is nothing to sue for because the dealer needed to willfully intend to cause the damage. Strange laws we have, but there it is.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:29 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
My guess would be the tech chocked the wheel on the spacer/hub amd tightened/tourqed it down.

Not an excuse, but a likely scenario if he was unfamiliar with aftermarket spacers or in a rush. I've done it myself, but caught it before rolling off.

Taking a TQ wrench to a lug nut is garage 101. I can't see them skipping this step, but who knows.

Last edited by Mike450; 04-05-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:27 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Ml63
David, glad you and family are good. At the end of the day that's really all that matters. I understand your frustration and would be just as pissed off as you are.

The dealer will not touch your car if they think you are contemplating or have threatened legal action. That's just the world we live in now.

I think you have sent your message loud and clear and any further civil action will only benefit the attorneys involved. These thinks can go on for years and you'll find they become very stressful for and your family. Stress is a very silent and deadly killer and I avoid any unnecessary stress like the plague.

I wish you luck with what ever decision you make.

Bill
Old 04-05-2016, 08:53 PM
Banned

You are a great person who we ( at lease ) me think are a great AMG forum member. You have touched so many us with your AMG wisdom. Thank you.

Originally Posted by vdubpower
i went ahead and emailed your service director at your request...gave them the run down about you.....i told them ill be sending them flowers and breakfast daily for the next week to have to deal with you...

seriously dude...check how many threads your lugs have with the spacer and with your wheels....it may have just not been enough...yeah its crazy that they got loose..but it happens...it may be a lug issue, it may be a dealer issue, it may be both...just sort it out
Old 04-05-2016, 08:57 PM
Banned

Correct. The wheels was taken off and refinished at a outsourced wheel shop, then it was installed by the said dealer who last touched my wheels. Just saying

Originally Posted by TonyC
afaic, no mb dealership refinishes wheels in LA, everything is sent out.

Surely you've met Son? He does friggin amazing work at $100/wheel:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/onsite-wheels-garden-grove

still crappy they took your money and then wouldn't help after the lugs let go (is what I think actually happened -- too much POWAH with the new turbos?).

I can't write the service director though. the chickie likes to abuse their espresso machine..
Old 04-05-2016, 09:26 PM
Banned

You are not rude, just a ....

Originally Posted by vdubpower

Old 04-05-2016, 09:58 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
^hey that's my ride
Old 04-05-2016, 10:04 PM
Banned

Sorry. I was trying to make point.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:24 PM
AHI

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
AMG GTR
David. Glad you are ok.

Please save yourself the time and energy, and do not sue MB. You will look back on this thread, months down the line, thousands of dollars later, and wished you had listened. Spend time with your family and enjoy life.

I cannot believe a dealership would tell a customer F off after an event like that. Like others have posted, I think there is something missing to this story.... I get that they've pissed you off, but they seem really pissed off too.

Go to a high end wheel shop, buy a few 14x1.5 cone seat 28mm bolts, torque them and the rest down, get your car out of there.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Deadly Mercedes Experience