MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W212 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg-146/)
-   -   11.5 @ 124... More left in it? (https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/627011-11-5-124-more-left.html)

M-Theory 05-28-2016 12:41 AM

11.5 @ 124... More left in it?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...528460bff.jpeg
Coastal Plains drag way NC.

2012, RWD, P30 car, Speed Driven DP and Tune is all it has so far. Haven't had it on a dyno yet.

Running Continental Extreme contacts pretty much new.

First time to the track with the car.

My 60ft aren't so good at a 1.9 but at the same time the car hooked ok enough to say I could launch it harder.

Tried Race start on a couple runs but it's a pain to stage and start race start (which never wants to come on) so I end up in a panic and just going, 12s both those times.

Feels good seeing people's faces when this thing runs 11s and they can't believe it. Also for comparison my FBO W211 E63 ran a best 12.8 at this track.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...249b58591.jpeg

First run ever in it, surprised me didn't think I'd break 11s. Tire pressure was 40 psi and launch at 1000rpm.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...dc1cd6994.jpeg

3 run I got this, drop tires to 28 psi and launch at 1800.

silvers2k 05-28-2016 12:51 AM

Solid runs! With practice, I'm sure your car can run low 11's. Catted or Catless downpipes?

It's interesting to see your 1/8 mile @95 vs my @96, yet your trap speed is 4mph higher than mine.

M-Theory 05-28-2016 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by silvers2k (Post 6816088)
Solid runs! With practice, I'm sure your car can run low 11's. Catted or Catless downpipes?

It's interesting to see your 1/8 mile @95 vs my @96, yet your trap speed is 4mph higher than mine.

Catless down pipes, not sure what it is but between 2nd and 3rd the car feels like it just won't stop pulling, gets stronger and stronger until I have to break.

I've never owned a car with anymore than 400rwtq or so so this thing pushing 700tq or close to it is a whole new world for me. (I come from BMW Ms)

Yea can't wait to get back to the track on some sticky tires and see what I can do. The car really surprised me overall, love this thing. But the more power bug is biting me hard now!

silvers2k 05-28-2016 12:34 PM

It can be nerve wrecking at the staging lane, but I try to focus on the launch and not on the tree because the reaction time will not affect the et for most races i.e. test and tune.

I have a million dollar question, traction control on or off?

kponti 05-28-2016 12:53 PM

Now with traps like this, driving skill/track conditions/etc may have been what stopped him from pulling 128-130 traps

M-Theory 05-28-2016 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by silvers2k (Post 6816390)
It can be nerve wrecking at the staging lane, but I try to focus on the launch and not on the tree because the reaction time will not affect the et for most races i.e. test and tune.

I have a million dollar question, traction control on or off?

Traction control in sport on my best runs. I tried with it off and it hooked pretty good BUT I didn't realize the car was in manual mode (trying race start and failed to get it) and it threw me into limp mod after I didn't shift.

M-Theory 05-28-2016 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by kponti (Post 6816417)
Now with traps like this, driving skill/track conditions/etc may have been what stopped him from pulling 128-130 traps

People were complaining about the lack of prep all night so I feel between the track and this being my first time out with the car you're spot on.

silvers2k 05-28-2016 01:51 PM

Agreed! Based on OP's time slips and trap speed, the car is producing power as it should but it can be improved with practice and stickier tires.

kustom2k1 05-28-2016 02:41 PM

First congrats to OP on his PB.

How?

Not to take anything away from OP, but his car basically ran 11.6 at 124. I cant see it unless weather was a major factor. Compare 60ft times to others on dragtimes, very similar. AMS has a car trapping over 130 with 1.6 sixty ft times, these cars just do not launch hard.

I was hoping to see the 212s running faster after 4 years of R&D by the aftermarket.

For comparison

http://dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Benz-E...lip-26984.html

M-Theory 05-28-2016 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by kustom2k1 (Post 6816502)
First congrats to OP on his PB.

How?

Not to take anything away from OP, but his car basically ran 11.6 at 124. I cant see it unless weather was a major factor. Compare 60ft times to others on dragtimes, very similar. AMS has a car trapping over 130 with 1.6 sixty ft times, these cars just do not launch hard.

I was hoping to see the 212s running faster after 4 years of R&D by the aftermarket.

For comparison

http://dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Benz-E...lip-26984.html

I honestly think it has more MPH in it, I'll keep my times updated over the summer, learning to lunch this thing is key. I was just to focused on showing up the 2015-16 Maserati, Chevy SS and Charger (sedan guys) that were out there after not believing how much torque my car produced. Needless to say none of those cars could get out of the 13s.

Another comparison a couple friends SL65's tuned on this track bests were about 11.3 at 128-131, of course major traction issues for those two.

gaspam 05-28-2016 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by kustom2k1 (Post 6816502)

most of the guys that would track these cars and modify the crap out of them, dont own them yet... think of it this way, it took 7 yrs for the M113K w211's to break into the 130's trap speed (took the W212's 1 yr to do the same).... because at about 7yrs old is when people were willing to really push those cars hard outside of just a 168M pulley + shorties combo.... think of the W212 M157 still in that phase with Tune+ DP being our " 168M+ shorties" stage of the game.....

now when we get enough guys breaking out of that stage and going beyond these minor upgrades is when you will start to see big drops in ET and gains in trap, just like the M113Ks did when they started adding bigger pulleys, LTHs , bigger TB's, injectors, cooling, tcu upgrades, etc.

when we start getting people to slap on some bigger turbos, meth, and crack the torque limiting in low gears, is when you will see big change in times

there have been a few M157s in low 10s but they are over un UAE and one in russia ( he is running 1100+awhp but has yet to take it to a prepped track to my knowledge)

chiromikey 05-28-2016 07:21 PM

...and crack the torque limiting in low gears, is when you will see big change in times
Not trying to be a argumentative...but do you really think this will happen? It (or any "real" tuning) sadly still hasn't happened on the M113K platform!

gaspam 05-28-2016 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by chiromikey (Post 6816690)
Not trying to be a argumentative...but do you really think this will happen? It (or any "real" tuning) sadly still hasn't happened on the M113K platform!

Supposedly GAD has been able to do it on vasily car (the 1100+whp) e63 in Russia

chiromikey 05-28-2016 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by gaspam (Post 6816718)
Supposedly GAD has been able to do it on vasily car (the 1100+whp) e63 in Russia

I'd love to have this confirmed!

Zod 05-29-2016 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by chiromikey (Post 6816768)
I'd love to have this confirmed!

Have you not seen any of his race vids/ posts?

loads of them are available from street racing, to their mosco unlimited runs where u can see trap and eta etc. Yes it's not a real prepped track, but it's vs other super cars. You can kind of get a good idea of how its running.

chiromikey 05-29-2016 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Zod (Post 6817016)
Have you not seen any of his race vids/ posts?

loads of them are available from street racing, to their mosco unlimited runs where u can see trap and eta etc. Yes it's not a real prepped track, but it's vs other super cars. You can kind of get a good idea of how its running.

Yeah I've seen some race vids of this car a little while back but don't remember seeing any 60ft data with it. I'm not sure I'd believe data from most of the makeshift 1/4mile tracks that are in the Russian vids anyways. And a one off car doesn't prove to me they have total control over tuning.

Zod 05-29-2016 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by chiromikey (Post 6817149)
Yeah I've seen some race vids of this car a little while back but don't remember seeing any 60ft data with it. I'm not sure I'd believe data from most of the makeshift 1/4mile tracks that are in the Russian vids anyways. And a one off car doesn't prove to me they have total control over tuning.

Mate, have you not seen their other projects?

They were the first into the turbo upgrades

They were the first i know of that made a rwd cls63 biturbo into awd. This was before mb even did it!

They transplanted a bi turbo v8 into a C63 black series and made it AWD.
go to 3 min for the giggles
This is not even looking into the monster E they made for the russin

chiromikey 05-29-2016 01:38 PM

Nope, I haven't paid a lot attention to much of it and thanks for providing some info...but that still doesn't change the fact that we haven't seen definitive proof of cracking the tq limiters on thes cars. When I see tune only cars knocking off low and consistent 1.6 60ft times, that's when I'll believe someone has tapped into the tq maps.

M-Theory 05-29-2016 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by chiromikey (Post 6817201)
Nope, I haven't paid a lot attention to much of it and thanks for providing some info...but that still doesn't change the fact that we haven't seen definitive proof of cracking the tq limiters on thes cars. When I see tune only cars knocking off low and consistent 1.6 60ft times, that's when I'll believe someone has tapped into the tq maps.

Would be nice to have tq limits gone, riding in my friends TCU tuned SL65 and feeling all that torque come on without interruption or limit is a big improvement.

PeterUbers 05-29-2016 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by M-Theory (Post 6817265)
Would be nice to have tq limits gone, riding in my friends TCU tuned SL65 and feeling all that torque come on without interruption or limit is a big improvement.

Wouldn't this kill the life of the trans or clutch in the short term?

kponti 05-29-2016 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers (Post 6817393)

Yes but in the long term

vcci 05-30-2016 01:07 AM

OP... is your car lowered? If so what did you use?

efiftyfizzle 05-30-2016 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers (Post 6817393)

I think it's important to question why Mercedes / AMG placed the torque limiter in there in the first place. Was it because they wanted to make the car slower? Of course not, so our best guess is to protect the transmission from blowing and them having to cover it under warranty.

If someone figures out how to crack the torque limiter, I'm sure hardware in the transmission can be upgraded to handle more power and torque.

M-Theory 05-30-2016 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by vcci (Post 6817566)
OP... is your car lowered? If so what did you use?

H&R springs and rear links.

M-Theory 05-30-2016 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by efiftyfizzle (Post 6817695)
I think it's important to question why Mercedes / AMG placed the torque limiter in there in the first place. Was it because they wanted to make the car slower? Of course not, so our best guess is to protect the transmission from blowing and them having to cover it under warranty.

If someone figures out how to crack the torque limiter, I'm sure hardware in the transmission can be upgraded to handle more power and torque.

I honestly feel the trans can handle the torque as it technically already does just at certain rpms.

I think the limits are on to optimize controllability and performance from the factory. No torque limits on street tires around a track or a drag strip would hurt times, even 0-60 due to traction issue so they found away to "utilize" power in different areas to maximize performance "in stock form".

But we mod our cars, sticky tires, suspension work etc so we may be able to use the extra torque gain by taking the limitations away through the rpm range.

The 65 guys sure benifit from it.

All just my theory though.