MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W212 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg-146/)
-   -   High Power Sub Upgrade for W212 (https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/627709-high-power-sub-upgrade-w212.html)

Vrodman 06-03-2016 02:07 PM

High Power Sub Upgrade for W212

Hey Guys,

Just posting this to help save some of you legwork if you are planning on a subwoofer upgrade.

First of all I need to pay respect to RNBRAD who posted very detailed and useful threads on this same topic. Search "Amp install, w212, sub to come" Thanks a lot Brad!

His thread is where I found the schematic for the stock sub amp in the rear shelf. This pdf schematic gives pin-outs for the sub amp connector. Of interest to us is the following:

The small brown and white wires
- white=RCA pin
- brown=RCA outer ring

The slightly larger black wire:
-this wire is your remote amp turn-on. Must have this to not drain your battery.

You or your installer will need to use "tee" splicers into these wires right at the back of the connector. It is a bit tight there and not much of a service loop to work with, but doable.

If you have a 550 model with full air suspension, you will have a battery in the trunk. This makes this project a bit easier for you. The E63 does not have this battery so a 4 gauge line (for 1200W) will be necessary from the front battery.

However, not having this battery is helpful in that it leaves a nice space to mount the amp. Which is what I intend to do. I don't want to mount it under the rear shelf because it would require eliminating my retractable cargo shelf. I really like that thing.

As far as the sub, I plan to go with a sealed box for best SQ and since I have power to spare. I also plan on having this easily removable and secured by latches with simple banana plugs. It will be rear firing as to not rattle the rear shelf, and take advantage of the trunk volume for lower freq sub-harmonics.

Lastly, here is the gear that I decided on (note that I was very influenced by RNBRAD's post on this. Used nearly the same stuff. After research, it just made sense and he was thrilled with it).

Gear:

Amp: Alpine PDXM12 - 1200W rms into 4 ohms or 2 ohms
Apx. $500 on Amazon

Bass Knob: Alpine RUX KNOB for PDMX12 amp
Apx. $22 on Amazon

Sub: Image Dynamics - IDMAX12 V4 D4 dual 4 ohm voice coils 1800W
peak.
Apx. $400 on Amazon

Since both 4ohm voice coils are required, you end up with a 2 ohm load. This makes the Alpine amp that is stable at 2 ohms a good choice.

So that's it for now guys. I get the amp tomorrow, and the sub on Tuesday. Plan on installing it all the following Saturday. I will post pics and give an update on how it performs shortly after that.

Cheers

TX E55 06-03-2016 02:52 PM

Been thinking about a sub, had a removeable one in the E55 that I took out when I hit the track. I loved it.

Please post updates, and thanks for posting!

Ralcbah 06-04-2016 03:04 PM

Very cool. Been thinking about this as well! Please do keep us posted and thanks for sharing.

PeterUbers 06-04-2016 03:06 PM

Subscribed --- thanks for putting this thread together

And for those not aware the OP has professional expertise working for Velodyne in design and engineering so you could say he knows a thing or two about subs

:bow:

Vrodman 06-05-2016 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers (Post 6823096)
Subscribed --- thanks for putting this thread together

And for those not aware the OP has professional expertise working for Velodyne in design and engineering so you could say he knows a thing or two about subs

:bow:

Thanks Peter.

Actually the Lead engineer in the development of their first car sub and their first full range home speaker back in the early 90's. But who's counting. Lol

Someone just pointed out that I should have looked at the Velodyne car sub offerings. Way too funny. Just didnt occur to me.. Hmmmm.

Funny how our minds work.

LFC09 06-05-2016 08:48 PM

I'm in :popcorn:

screw991le 06-08-2016 10:20 AM

sub'd

Vrodman 06-14-2016 10:36 PM

UPDATE:

1 Attachment(s)
Well Guys,

Project is basically finished (guys need to redo the power line next weekend as they installed 8 ga when I told them 4 ga).

So how does it sound you ask. Phenominal! I never thought I would say these words, but I may have gone with TOO much power. Haha

With the right media and volume levels it seriously seems like damage to the car is possible. Ever feel your hair on your head resonate? I am not kidding. It does with this bad boy! So SPL, check. Plenty to burn.

SQ Is also awesome. Really happy with the results and recommend it to anyone feeling their low end is lacking.

So I will attempt to upload pics. Forgive me in advance if they somehow end up upside down as they have in the past. And no one can seem to figure out why.

When you look at the pics you will see I set everything up so that the sub box is EASILY removable. Just lift it 1 inch over the stop rail that I made and installed. I positioned the sub box so that everything is still functional like the cargo tray.

Amp is located under the trunk removable floor next to spare in the unused battery bay.

The box is 1" MDF heavy duty due to 1250W of power. I ordered a black box and jokers sent me a grey one. I decided to keep it because it makes the sub more obvious if the wifey throws something in the trunk she cant tell me she didnt see it. Lol.

The sub is rear firing to keep from rattling the rear shelf and to take advantage of the trunk volume. This helps get even lower frequencies with sub harmonics.

Thats all I can think of for now.

Here are the pics. May require more than one post.

Vrodman 06-14-2016 10:40 PM

Can somebody please tell me why I can't upload more than 1 pic at a time in my posts? WTF

I am able to select multiple pics for upload, but when I click upload it only uploads the last pic I select. Ugh.

Vrodman 06-14-2016 10:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the holding rail design. Just lift 1" and slide it toward rear to remove.

Vrodman 06-14-2016 10:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the 1250W Alpine amp.

Vrodman 06-14-2016 10:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you can see the the cargo tray still functions.

Vrodman 06-14-2016 10:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the Bass Control Knob. I secured with strong double back tape to keep from drilling holes in the side of the console. It is the knob just above the seat control on side of the console.

TheYeti 06-14-2016 10:52 PM

Would adding a sub in this way void a CPO warranty, do you think?

EddieK 06-14-2016 10:54 PM

Looks great! Notice any rattles? Thanks for the write-up and pics.

Vrodman 06-14-2016 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by TheYeti (Post 6833230)
Would adding a sub in this way void a CPO warranty, do you think?

I can't imagine how it could be warranty problem in any manner. People upgrade sound systems all the time.

Vrodman 06-14-2016 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by EddieK (Post 6833232)
Looks great! Notice any rattles? Thanks for the write-up and pics.

The only rattle so far (that is only audible outside the car) is the license plate frame. It really resonates. I secured to the bottom of the license plate with double back and problem solved!

Now the real test will be if I am rattle free in 3 months from now. Lol

EddieK 06-14-2016 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Vrodman (Post 6833241)
The only rattle so far (that is only audible outside the car) is the license plate frame. It really resonates. I secured to the bottom of the license plate with double back and problem solved!

Now the real test will be if I am rattle free in 3 months from now. Lol

Yeah, true...I had the dealer fix a rear deck rattle with bass heavy music, with the stock system, I can only imagine after adding a 1250 watt 12". I'm going to add a sub very soon and am still deciding whether or not going with a simple add-on or doing the whole amp/sub combo.

Did you have any concerns over the amp overheating in the spare tire well?

LFC09 06-14-2016 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by EddieK (Post 6833263)
Yeah, true...I had the dealer fix a rear deck rattle with bass heavy music, with the stock system, I can only imagine after adding a 1250 watt 12". I'm going to add a sub very soon and am still deciding whether or not going with a simple add-on or doing the whole amp/sub combo.

OT - what did the dealer do?

EddieK 06-14-2016 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by LFC09 (Post 6833278)
OT - what did the dealer do?

They added some felt pads around the rear deck. Didn't completely fix the issue, but is much better. I plan to take the car back in when I get around to it.

TX E55 06-15-2016 09:38 AM

First of all, first rate job! I need to do something just like this soon, I am a basshead and am fairly disappointed when I leave the house where my 188 pound SVS PB-13 Ultra subwoofer resides and I can't feel the bass in my car. Sounds like your solution is spot on.

Great, and I told the wife no new upgrades after the downpipes and cat removal last month.

Shoot, sounds like she's ready for some new jewelry! :rolf:

Thanks for the pictures, I hadn't thought about a retaining rail, but it makes total sense. I really like how you retained the cargo box, I love mine!

Vrodman 06-15-2016 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by EddieK (Post 6833263)

As far as a 1 piece add on versus my approach, the only difference is the amplifier. But with the amp, you gain a lot more control which you will find you need depending on media. Also, you will certainly get better sound quality (SQ).

Not worried about overheating as the amp I have is suitable to go under a car or truck seat which has much less open air around it. Additionally, I checked it out last night after my 1 hour commute home and pushing the amp pretty hard. It was warm certainly. But nothing to worry about. No burning smells for example.

Vrodman 06-15-2016 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by TX E55 (Post 6833553)
First of all, first rate job! I need to do something just like this soon, I am a basshead and am fairly disappointed when I leave the house where my 188 pound SVS PB-13 Ultra subwoofer resides and I can't feel the bass in my car. Sounds like your solution is spot on.

Great, and I told the wife no new upgrades after the downpipes and cat removal last month.

Shoot, sounds like she's ready for some new jewelry! :rolf:

Thanks for the pictures, I hadn't thought about a retaining rail, but it makes total sense. I really like how you retained the cargo box, I love mine!

Thanks a lot for the positive review!

Sounds like we are both covered at home! I have been running Velodyne's famous ULD-18 Servo Sub in my home system for over 20 years. Thing is bullet proof! Solid down to 17Hz. 18" downward firing inside a furniture grade table. Looks like an end table to uninformed people.

I told my wife I "found" some equipment in my audio boneyard in the garage. LOL So no jewelry required.

PeterUbers 06-15-2016 02:22 PM

Sweet setup man, very nicely done. I'm sure it sounds amazing

Vrodman 06-15-2016 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers (Post 6833900)
Sweet setup man, very nicely done. I'm sure it sounds amazing

Thanks Pete!

It does sound great. Coolest thing is media with kick drums. Lots of it in Phil Collins music for example, (he being a drummer has something to do with that I suppose)

WOW! now you can actually here them (kick drums) correctly. And you can feel them too! lol

As I said earlier, you really can make the hair on your head resonate. Seriously. It is a wild sensation for sure. Not sure my ear drums like it. But I'm getting old enough now that my hearing damage, if any, has likely occurred long ago. lol