MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W212 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg-146/)
-   -   Throttle Lag Complaints and Performance Improvements Over Stock (https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/632511-throttle-lag-complaints-performance-improvements-over-stock.html)

kponti 07-24-2016 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by BerndV (Post 6867965)
If you can wait a year, IMO the Speedriven standalone ECU will be the solution everyone has been looking for assuming you don't mind losing your cruise control. The cruise control lever is used to toggle between different performance maps which appear on the information display between the tachometer and the speedometer.

And will also be the reason why it won't sell much for at least a few more years. No I do not use my cruise control much. However replacing my whole ecu seems like a bit much to technically not make any more power than I started with. Like a lot of people on this particular forum, I never planned to mod my car. 550hp was more than enough for a daily kid hauler. But the simplicity of a tune was too much to resist after a while. Then the bug bit and I did a few more lol.

BerndV 07-24-2016 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by kponti (Post 6867977)
And will also be the reason why it won't sell much for at least a few more years. No I do not use my cruise control much. However replacing my whole ecu seems like a bit much to technically not make any more power than I started with. Like a lot of people on this particular forum, I never planned to mod my car. 550hp was more than enough for a daily kid hauler. But the simplicity of a tune was too much to resist after a while. Then the bug bit and I did a few more lol.

The standalone is about more than making additional power; it is all about getting it to the wheels in all gears without TCU interference. It also allows for different maps based upon variables such as fuel octane rating. In roughly half the country, premium is 93 octane, in the other half it is 91. You would also have a map for racing fuel.

However, it is clearly not for everyone, myself included at this point in time.

Romeo_f 07-24-2016 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by BerndV (Post 6865744)
5) Catless down pipes that retain the factory crossmember. Contrary to what most aftermarket exhaust sales pitches would have you believe, the factory exhaust breathes extremely well. With factory turbos, most of the improvement with aftermarket down pipes comes from weight reduction. Don't even think about a turbo back pipe if you are retaining the factory turbos unless you enjoy throwing your money away.

You make an interesting claim here, how are you so sure about the gains of the turbo back over catless dp's? I'm currently debating between getting either one of them but the price difference is huge and there are no dyno's out there comparing them both, do you know something that we not? Is your source with this info trustworthy?

kponti 07-24-2016 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Romeo_f (Post 6868318)
You make an interesting claim here, how are you so sure about the gains of the turbo back over catless dp's? I'm currently debating between getting either one of them but the price difference is huge and there are no dyno's out there comparing them both, do you know something that we not? Is your source with this info trustworthy?

I have been promising a after dyno for a couple of months now. Time has not made it easy to do it (coaching kids basketball early Saturday mornings and traveling a lot), but it's coming

kponti 07-24-2016 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by BerndV (Post 6868106)
The standalone is about more than making additional power; it is all about getting it to the wheels in all gears without TCU interference. It also allows for different maps based upon variables such as fuel octane rating. In roughly half the country, premium is 93 octane, in the other half it is 91. You would also have a map for racing fuel.

However, it is clearly not for everyone, myself included at this point in time.

Agreed its not about making power. But that's just it. When the car drops enough in value and warranties are mostly exhausted, we will see more people tracking these cars and buying standalone units like this. Till then it seems like a pretty little box to talk about.

Financially it's rather inexpensive if the last quote I saw was right. Almost cheap for what it does.
I paid $4400 for a Renntech tune (3500 initially, then an additional 900 for the retune for the turbo back downpipes). That's more than half the cost of this ecu (saw it advertised for $8k if my memory serves me right). An additional $3600 and I have all the extra maps plus no tcu issue? That's not bad at all especially if I tracked this car at all. And I can swap my ecu back into the car for servicing.... I may be slowly talking myself into this lol

BerndV 07-24-2016 09:50 PM

"You make an interesting claim here, how are you so sure about the gains of the turbo back over catless dp's? I'm currently debating between getting either one of them but the price difference is huge and there are no dyno's out there comparing them both, do you know something that we not? Is your source with this info trustworthy?"

My source for this is Hartmut Fehyl at Renntech, with whom I've been fortunate enough to have had a couple of very extensive, technical, and educational conversations. The stock turbos on the M157 are relatively tiny and therefore do not benefit from the turbo back pipe. The limiting factor is the size of the turbo, not any differences in flow rate from the turbo back pipe. Take a good look at the oddly shaped, complex, difficult to manufacture double walled turbo back pipe that AMG puts on this car. Then look at Weistech's pipe. Which do you think is easier and cheaper to manufacture? If the aftermarket turbo back pipes were more optimal with the turbos installed on the M157, they would come with them from the factory.

kponti 07-24-2016 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by BerndV (Post 6868342)
"You make an interesting claim here, how are you so sure about the gains of the turbo back over catless dp's? I'm currently debating between getting either one of them but the price difference is huge and there are no dyno's out there comparing them both, do you know something that we not? Is your source with this info trustworthy?"

My source for this is Hartmut Fehyl at Renntech, with whom I've been fortunate enough to have had a couple of very extensive, technical, and educational conversations. The stock turbos on the M157 are relatively tiny and therefore do not benefit from the turbo back pipe. The limiting factor is the size of the turbo, not any differences in flow rate from the turbo back pipe. Take a good look at the oddly shaped, complex, difficult to manufacture double walled turbo back pipe that AMG puts on this car. Then look at Weistech's pipe. Which do you think is easier and cheaper to manufacture? If the aftermarket turbo back pipes were more optimal with the turbos installed on the M157, they would come with them from the factory.

what if they are optimal for flow to 600bhp? And hamper flow above that like with aftermarket turbos or maybe even a tune?

BerndV 07-24-2016 10:19 PM

Much of what I've written in this thread is intended to clarify where confusion, hype, and misinformation reigns. All of these aftermarket developers are happy to take your money for products which, if dyno tested by a reputable, impartial third party, would show statistically insignificant gains. Factor in that they know that their customer base greatly desires improved HP and performance and generally has the financial means to buy these very expensive parts, and you have a recipe for dubious claims. Finally, most customers do not have an engineering background and therefore do not possess the requisite intellectual training to evaluate the validity of the marketing claims made for many of these parts. This is not meant as an insult to anyone. I am not an MD nor an attorney nor a CPA. When I need competent advice in those arenas, I consult with someone who has devoted years of their life acquiring such expertise. No aftermarket tuner has anywhere near the resources and engineering brain trust that Daimler Benz possesses.

Aside from my Speedriven oil pan, I intend to dyno test my car bone stock and completely broken-in at roughly 10k miles late in the coming autumn. I will do so with a very reputable independent dyno service. I will then install the components I've listed earlier in this thread and re-dyno with the same dyno service on the same dyno with atmospherics standardized for both runs. I would love to evaluate each added part individually in this manner but I simply don't have the time. This is what the aftermarket suppliers should be doing for EACH part or system of components. It doesn't happen because some of what they sell and profit from would no longer be purchased.

BerndV 07-24-2016 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by kponti (Post 6868346)
what if they are optimal for flow to 600bhp? And hamper flow above that like with aftermarket turbos or maybe even a tune?

If you are installing larger turbos, then the entire volumetric equation changes completely. With tune only, don't bother with the turbo back downpipes because the tiny potential gain, if there is any, simply does not justify the enormous cost of purchasing and installing them. There may even be portions of the power and torque curves that decrease with turbo back pipes. Exhaust systems on turbocharged cars are an interdependent system, and the closer you get upstream, the more delicately balanced the flow dynamics. It is actually a very complex subject.

KLR CLS 07-25-2016 11:21 AM

I disagree with your points on the value of full turboback. Peak power gains may not be massively different from just "mid" style catless DPs, but power delivery and torque are way different. I've driven my friends custom "mid" pipe down pipes and my car with the full turbo back is way more responsive and feels like it makes alot more torque and carries it longer. You don't get the same fall off @ 5K rpm. Seems to carry to red line much stronger. The character has totally changed and feels much more agressive and violent. The real value problem with turbo back is the install cost for AWD vehicles since motor has to be dropped. On a RWD I highly recommend them. I will be coupling the DP's for a full 3" custom back half soon, then will do a dyno to see how it compares to my tune only dyno @ 589WHP.

BerndV 07-25-2016 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by KLR CLS (Post 6868730)
I disagree with your points on the value of full turboback. Peak power gains may not be massively different from just "mid" style catless DPs, but power delivery and torque are way different. I've driven my friends custom "mid" pipe down pipes and my car with the full turbo back is way more responsive and feels like it makes alot more torque and carries it longer. You don't get the same fall off @ 5K rpm. Seems to carry to red line much stronger. The character has totally changed and feels much more agressive and violent. The real value problem with turbo back is the install cost for AWD vehicles since motor has to be dropped. On a RWD I highly recommend them. I will be coupling the DP's for a full 3" custom back half soon, then will do a dyno to see how it compares to my tune only dyno @ 589WHP.

Unless you and your friend's cars are mechanically and aftermarket identical except for the turbo back pipe, then any comparison is not really valid. Furthermore, "feel" and butt dyno is purely subjective, not objective. The placebo effect is very common in the world of aftermarket modifications. If you want to make a convincing case, you should have dynoed before the turbo back and then after with no other modifications. Also, as I have stated, whatever minor gains that may occur in peak HP with a turbo back pipe may come at the expense of low and midrange HP and torque, which is where these engines live most of their lives for those of us who use them as daily drivers. The expense on a 2014-2016 AWD is simply not justified with stock turbos.

johnnyblaze 07-25-2016 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by BerndV (Post 6865744)
A TCU tune doesn't exist that will fix this problem. Nobody, and I mean nobody, has been able to crack the Bosch encryption for the TCU. These intermittent "lag" problems all originate from the TCU limiting the fun in the first three gears. These turbo engines produce so much torque relative to any NA cars from the past that something had to be done to protect the drive train from endless warranty claims and the resulting customer dissatisfaction. The faster that wet clutch locks up relative to mashing the pedal in lower gears, the greater the shock that is transmitted to the drive train. The torque multiplication in gears 1-3 is therefore limited by the algorithm in the TCU that monitors dozens of variables.

The car I owned previous to my current 2016 E63 was a 2014 E550 4MATIC. The E550 produces less HP and torque and has a torque converter. The combination of less torque and a torque converter (which delivers torque with greater smoothness and less shock) means that the TCU in the E550 can come equipped from the factory with a much less aggressive algorithm for drive train protection. Therefore, as I experienced when transitioning from the E550 to the E63, certain driving conditions resulted in more pronounced lag or delay when flooring the throttle pedal.

The solution for this problem with the turbo AMG cars is a standalone ECU. Speedriven has been developing this very product in conjunction with an ECU manufacturer in Europe for close to two years now. It is now available for M279 powered AMG's and will be alpha-tested this coming winter in the M157. However, you will lose your cruise control, so there is a compromise that comes with the standalone ECU. Also, be prepared to spend $$$ to strengthen the transmission at a minimum, and you will need strengthening of everything else between the transmission and the wheels if you start adding bigger turbos.

This TCU "problem" is the reason the AMS Alpha 9 is only 0.1 seconds quicker in the quarter than the Alpha 7. It is also the reason the Alpha 9 is also slower than the Alpha 7 from 0-60. Without a standalone ECU or a complete bypass of the factory EMS, you can install bigger turbos, stronger rods and pistons, and all the ancillary performance modifications you care to throw at this car and will only gain an edge in roll-on half mile or one mile passes, which is a pretty useless improvement outside of the realm of YouTube video hits and ego inflation.

If you choose not to go the standalone ECU route when it becomes available, the best mods for this car in descending order of importance are:

1) ECU Tune; pick your poison, Renntech, Alpha, and Speedriven are probably the top choices. Tunes are not rocket science, HP and torque improvements are contingent on how much the tuner wants to push the numbers. The "lesser" tunes will often result in more daily driver satisfaction because they don't push the TCU as much.

2) Improved intake volumetric efficiency i.e. AMS carbon intake system, Renntech carbon intake system (IMO the AMS is a better design).

3) Improved intercooler performance i.e. full AMS turbo cooler system. This is especially important if you track the car, make repeated 1/4 mile passes, or operate daily in a hot climate. The resultant heat soak kills performance in turbo cars.

5) Replacement transmission pan that improves fluid capacity and cooling. High transmission fluid temps are one of the variables that the TCU algorithm monitors. My preference is the Speedriven billet pan because the Weistech is cast aluminum. One crack from a rock and your MCT is toast.

5) Catless down pipes that retain the factory crossmember. Contrary to what most aftermarket exhaust sales pitches would have you believe, the factory exhaust breathes extremely well. With factory turbos, most of the improvement with aftermarket down pipes comes from weight reduction. Don't even think about a turbo back pipe if you are retaining the factory turbos unless you enjoy throwing your money away.

6) Replacing the exhaust resonator with an H pipe configuration along with lighter and better breathing mufflers. Almost zero HP difference here with factory turbos but you get more weight reduction and a properly designed H pipe will prevent drone. Again, the AMS exhaust with either their mufflers or the Renntech's would be good depending on your aural preferences.

After that, it is all about weight reduction. Lithium Ion batteries are an easy weight reducer i.e. Braille lithium Ions. This and exhaust are the first mods amateur motorcycle road racers like myself make for relatively dramatic weight reduction on liter bikes that start at over five hundred pounds dry. After replacing the two batteries with lithium ions, be prepared to start dropping big money for bespoke carbon, magnesium, aluminum, and titanium parts.

10/10 :bow:

Someone sticky this :y

A lot of these points are what I was told from my tuner and my shop directly.

sleeperZ96BT 07-25-2016 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by BerndV (Post 6868779)
Unless you and your friend's cars are mechanically and aftermarket identical except for the turbo back pipe, then any comparison is not really valid. Furthermore, "feel" and butt dyno is purely subjective, not objective. The placebo effect is very common in the world of aftermarket modifications. If you want to make a convincing case, you should have dynoed before the turbo back and then after with no other modifications. Also, as I have stated, whatever minor gains that may occur in peak HP with a turbo back pipe may come at the expense of low and midrange HP and torque, which is where these engines live most of their lives for those of us who use them as daily drivers. The expense on a 2014-2016 AWD is simply not justified with stock turbos.

Not the same car as you all, but I will be doing a stock versus catted dp/catback before and after dyno in the next month or so on my 2013 E550. I'll be documenting it in the W212 section since it is on an E550 but can link it here. It will be my first mod and part of why I am doing it is the sound but also because on my older turbo cars there was quite a bit of power to be had upgrading the downpipes in particular both on the dyno and the track for me. We shall see, but I am doing it equally for sound and performance, and was given a great deal on it all so I had to do it :)

I'd like to do a tune but as far as I can tell, it's more for bragging rights for those that care about dyno numbers than it is for real world performance. And I see stories about turbo seals, more frequent spark plug replacements, etc. that just seems to make it more of a hassle than anything else. Just my .02.

Speedriven1 07-25-2016 01:30 PM

If you're looking at a CF airbox, the Carbonio is a solid option. Or the ROW airbox. Just my $0.02.

BerndV 07-25-2016 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by sleeperZ96BT (Post 6868869)
Not the same car as you all, but I will be doing a stock versus catted dp/catback before and after dyno in the next month or so on my 2013 E550. I'll be documenting it in the W212 section since it is on an E550 but can link it here. It will be my first mod and part of why I am doing it is the sound but also because on my older turbo cars there was quite a bit of power to be had upgrading the downpipes in particular both on the dyno and the track for me. We shall see, but I am doing it equally for sound and performance, and was given a great deal on it all so I had to do it :)

I'd like to do a tune but as far as I can tell, it's more for bragging rights for those that care about dyno numbers than it is for real world performance. And I see stories about turbo seals, more frequent spark plug replacements, etc. that just seems to make it more of a hassle than anything else. Just my .02.

You will get a much greater performance improvement from an ECU tune than an aftermarket exhaust. Combine the two and that is as much as you can really do with an E550 besides perhaps a BMC air filter set. You will have no problems with the turbos or spark plugs if you stick with the more well known tuners i.e. Speedriven, Renntech, AMS, Weistech.

PeterUbers 07-25-2016 02:16 PM

Excellent thread Bernd

Ralcbah 07-25-2016 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers (Post 6868956)
Excellent thread Bernd

Agreed. Well done, and thanks for taking the time!:)

I will politely challenge one item. FWIW, I did see 'significant' gains (approx 35 peak AWHP) going from tune/filters to tune/filters/catless dps. Is that a huge gain? Guess not...around 6%.

Thx again for consolidating some nice info.

sleeperZ96BT 07-25-2016 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by BerndV (Post 6868926)
You will get a much greater performance improvement from an ECU tune than an aftermarket exhaust. Combine the two and that is as much as you can really do with an E550 besides perhaps a BMC air filter set. You will have no problems with the turbos or spark plugs if you stick with the more well known tuners i.e. Speedriven, Renntech, AMS, Weistech.

Don't disagree on paper, but it seems all I read is that people pick up negligible real world performance from a tune based on the TCU. Maybe I am mistaken though and there are some folks who have put that power gained on paper to better use than those who post. Even if it's something not seen in quarter mile times, I just don't have the opportunity to REALLY wind it up where the tune would shine where I live.

I also seem to see threads about spark plugs, turbo seals, etc. When I do the math in my head (minimal real world performance for me and my driving + potential headaches) it doesn't add up for me. That's just me though.

I'm quite happy with the stock performance of the E550, sans how quiet it is. Hence the exhaust. And a vendor worked with me on getting a set at a solid price that I just couldn't pass up.

I still may try the tune someday, just not where I wanted to start. This thread is fantastic though. I will link in my results when I have them.

KLR CLS 07-25-2016 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Speedriven1 (Post 6868897)
If you're looking at a CF airbox, the Carbonio is a solid option. Or the ROW airbox. Just my $0.02.

No carbonio option for m157.

efiftyfizzle 07-25-2016 03:09 PM

I agree with most points here except one...

Just because the engineers designed something one way, doesn't mean they designed it for optimal performance. Some things are purposely engineered a way and then "rolled back" for longevity, reliability, marketing, etc.

Look at the GT-R for example... just improving the way the car breathes and adding fuel (intakes, downpipe, midpipe, fuel injectors, pumps) adds like 100whp. You think Nissan couldn't figure that out? They left it out on the table on purpose because they didn't want to risk blowing the transmission and more importantly, they want to be able to make small revisions in the future to enhance the performance of the car.

Speedriven1 07-25-2016 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by efiftyfizzle (Post 6869019)
Look at the GT-R for example... just improving the way the car breathes and adding fuel (intakes, downpipe, midpipe, fuel injectors, pumps) adds like 100whp. You think Nissan couldn't figure that out? They left it out on the table on purpose because they didn't want to risk blowing the transmission and more importantly, they want to be able to make small revisions in the future to enhance the performance of the car.

Doing the changes, as described, would cause the car to miss CARB and TUV emissions targets. Not disagreeing with your main point, though- just saying that I agree, and "performance" isn't the only target the OEMs have.

KLR CLS 07-25-2016 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by BerndV (Post 6868779)

CLS63 RWD EC tune on my car turbo back DPs. vs E63 RWD EC tune and exhaust shop custom DP's. pretty similar HW. Anyhow I agree without dyno not much science to it, but I have built and tuned enough high horsepower cars to know that my butt dyno is pretty well calibrated. I'll get a dyno soon enough when I get back half sorted.

BerndV 07-25-2016 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Speedriven1 (Post 6869023)
Doing the changes, as described, would cause the car to miss CARB and TUV emissions targets. Not disagreeing with your main point, though- just saying that I agree, and "performance" isn't the only target the OEMs have.

Exactly. The OEM's have four primary constraints: absolute reliability, meeting emissions requirements (EPA and CARB), meeting CAFE standards, and safety/crashworthiness requirements. Ironically, the ever more stringent emissions and fuel economy requirements forced OEM's to develop much of the very expensive automotive technology that allows current high performance cars (and many other machines) to radically outperform their predecessors while simultaneously being incredibly reliable. Examples include ECU's, ECU controlled variable cam timing, high pressure direct injection, variable vane turbochargers, higher flowing catalytic converters, the current trend towards turbocharging at all displacement and performance levels, knock sensors and higher compression ratios that perform well with pump gas, sophisticated AWD systems, etc. Then you have the materials side of the equation; an ever increasing use of aluminum, magnesium, carbon fiber, titanium, as well as the constant development of superior core materials. Then there is the never ending development of more precise design and manufacturing technologies which allows for tighter and more repeatable tolerances. Tribology has made quantum leaps in sophistication in order to meet help OEM's meet emissions and fuel economy mandates as well as the OEM's own internal lubrication wear standards while at the same time reducing parasitic drivetrain losses.

Therefore, some of what the OEM's "leave on the table" is generally related to the above constraints. They also exist solely to generate profits, period. Thus you have the HP and torque difference between, for example, the E63 and the E63 S, which is nothing but a software tweak for which the customer has the privilege of paying an extra $7000.

Speedriven1 07-25-2016 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by BerndV (Post 6869152)
Therefore, some of what the OEM's "leave on the table" is generally related to the above constraints. They also exist solely to generate profits, period. Thus you have the HP and torque difference between, for example, the E63 and the E63 S, which is nothing but a software tweak for which the customer has the privilege of paying an extra $7000.

This guy gets it.

Zod 07-26-2016 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by BerndV (Post 6867936)
Re-read what I posted. Workarounds exist, true reprogramming of the TCU's embedded software does not.

so what do they do when you send them the TCU?

I am not just talking about the USA tunners