W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Girodisc Rotor and Pad Review

Old 11-19-2016, 06:17 PM

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
2016 E63 S AMG
Update: the rear Girodisc rotors each weigh 8 lbs less the the stock rears. The rears cost more than the fronts due to the forged aluminum hat being machined to accommodate the parking brakes. I now have several thousand very hard miles on the Girodiscs and can state unequivocally that these rotors are superior in every way to the stock rotors. Another nice touch on these is that the iron rotor portion is zinc galvanized which prevents rust from forming on the edge and in the cooling channels. My rears had a significant patina of rust on the inside of the cooling channels and the car is only eight months old.

Last edited by BerndV; 11-19-2016 at 06:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BerndV:
a100steaksauce (11-22-2016), LFC09 (11-21-2016)
Old 03-14-2017, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by BerndV
I have been experiencing a progressively worsening high speed, high heat braking shudder that MB refused to warranty. They used my vehicle modifications as a pretext for refusing the warranty claim. However, I wasn't overly pissed off because I wanted to install lighter rotors anyway. I ordered Girodisc rotors and the Girodisc SS pads for the front axle of my E63. The Girodisc front rotors are 7 lbs lighter than the stock iron rotors and, unlike the stock units, are full floating. I am very impressed with the quality of these rotors compared to stock. The SS pads have more bite and are supposed to be able to withstand much higher temperatures. I am experiencing no squealing or noise that often accompanies higher performance pads, but they do generate a bit more dust than the stock pads. Now that I have tried the fronts and found them to be superior to stock in every way, I am ordering a set for the rears as well. I purchased for 12% off retail which seems to be the best deal available on the Girodisc products. The install is extremely easy for those of you who are DIY'ers. You will lose the factory electronic wear sensor with these pads. Girodisc also makes a very nice caliper spreader that I highly recommend as well.
is the caliper spreader an extra cost and what is the point of this part? Is just for looks?
Old 03-14-2017, 01:59 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
2014 E63 Wagon
Anyone compare the Girodisc pads to other aftermarket pads? I assume you can swap in almost anything if OEM pads work, right?
Old 03-14-2017, 02:48 PM

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
2016 E63 S AMG
The caliper spreader is for DIY pad replacements. It is extremely well designed and made. It is used for pushing the caliper pistons back into the caliper body so that the new pads will clear the disc.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by ajs76
Anyone compare the Girodisc pads to other aftermarket pads? I assume you can swap in almost anything if OEM pads work, right?
also curious to know is it better to use oem pads or the girodisc pads with these rotors? Or anything else better than both?
Old 03-16-2017, 07:41 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
E63s
Originally Posted by Amg63-
also curious to know is it better to use oem pads or the girodisc pads with these rotors? Or anything else better than both?
I heard some really good reviews of Racing brake , they also make an oversized rotor kit with caliper bracket and avail carbon ceramic discs to fit stock red calipers , also heard there street.pad is low dust , the kit I'm looking at is $2200 for front ,rear rotor sets with pads braided lines and fluid , they are full floating rotors and you keep your e brake
Old 03-16-2017, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by 10speed
I heard some really good reviews of Racing brake , they also make an oversized rotor kit with caliper bracket and avail carbon ceramic discs to fit stock red calipers , also heard there street.pad is low dust , the kit I'm looking at is $2200 for front ,rear rotor sets with pads braided lines and fluid , they are full floating rotors and you keep your e brake
im debating between girodisc and RB. The thing about the RB oversized kit is I don't like the weight they add.

For me its down to either girodisc or regular size RB. RB likely performs better but I like that girodisc is still a bit lighter and cheaper as well.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:41 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS550
Update: the rear Girodisc rotors each weigh 8 lbs less the the stock rears. The rears cost more than the fronts due to the forged aluminum hat being machined to accommodate the parking brakes.
Machine to accommodate the parking brake is different from making it to work like OE.

An aluminum hat can be easily scored (if you forget to release the parking brake), or destroyed (if you use it as an emergency brake, on street or track).

This is why the OE rear two piece rotors the hat are made of Cast Iron (like GTR), or Stainless Steel (like CCB rotors for Porsche, Ferrari, or Corvette ZR1) in order to maintain the parking/emergency brake integrity.

We believe the correct light weight rear rotor hat should be made like our composite hat with aluminum shell + iron sleeve insert (see pic below). We are proud to be the first and still is the only brake company offers this true high performance rear light weight feature.

I now have several thousand very hard miles on the Girodiscs and can state unequivocally that these rotors are superior in every way to the stock rotors. Another nice touch on these is that the iron rotor portion is zinc galvanized which prevents rust from forming on the edge and in the cooling channels. My rears had a significant patina of rust on the inside of the cooling channels and the car is only eight months old.
Our rotor surface finish is coated with black paint by EDP (Electrophoretic Deposition Process) , A process first introduced by RB on brake rotors in early 2000 which was quickly adopted and followed by other aftermarket brake rotor mfgrs.

This process adds uniform coat of anti-corrosive paint over the "Entire" casting surface including the corner/crevices of internal cooling vanes, which conventional plating can not reach.

We have recently improved this coating to cover the whole disc (including disc surface where pads are in contact), where after a few initial break-in stops the paint will disappear and leave all other area protected against rusting/corrosion.

An environmental friendly and effective corrosion protection process that we are proud to implement to our brake discs.

https://www.racingbrake.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=7112

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Innovative design w/o compromising the safety and OE integrity is what you can expect from RB brakes.

Do more research, ask questions to your prospective suppliers/mfgrs so at least you know what you are paying for, which shall help you make a better decision.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:00 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS550
Above rotor installation is for a Corvette ZR1 CCM converting to Iron Rotor for track racing. For those interested to learn more can click below.

RB light weight steel rotors option for CCM

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...post1587691191